PDA

View Full Version here: : GSO RC 10" specifications?

rat156
09-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi All,

Has anyone got the spec for the 10" GSO RC?

Specifically will the hole in the back of the scope (there has to be a technical term for this) be any bigger?

I had dreams of putting an AP 2.7" focuser in the back of the 8", but the hole is not quite big enough. Now I have a surplus AP 2.7" focuser, but if the 10" has a bigger secondary and baffles, maybe they'll make the hole a bit bigger and step down to the existing focuser, in which case I may keep the AP for down the track.

Unless of course someone wants a brand new AP 2.7" focuser, freshly imported...

Cheers
Stuart

Paul Haese
10-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Interesting question Stuart. It would be nicer to have a larger baffle. The GSO site is very basic and no details have been released yet.

gregbradley
10-09-2009, 10:02 PM
These cheaper RCs are great for our hobby and will lower the cost of larger instruments for sure.

Greg.

AlexN
10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
I would think they would open the bigger scopes up more, obviously they would realise that people with larger than APS size sensors will want to give the scope a run... but who knows... The AP 2.7" would be a lovely addition to the 8"... shame you can't fit it... Could you perhaps get an adapter turned up? sure it would step down from the focusers flange to the scopes 90x1mm thread.. however if you're using the 8" RC with your ST10, I dare say that won't cause any disruption to the light cone...

rat156
11-09-2009, 12:36 AM
The main problem is the length of the imaging train.

I tried it out tonight, I have to remove all the spacers to get focus on the ST10 with the MOAG, AOL and CFW inline.

I'll post the images later, when I have had a chance to process them, but I think that there is a bit of flexure in the focuser as the stars in one corner were elongated wrt the others.

I'll need some help diagnosing the problem, so I'll be bugging the experts...

Cheers
Stuart

gregbradley
11-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Why don't you ditch the focsuer altogether and have screw in tubes.
Use a FLI PDF focuser and focus that way. No flexure, digital focusing - a dream. Only problem is the cost of the FLI PDF.
But then you can use it on other scopes and it will be your focuser on future scopes as well.

Greg.

AlexN
11-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Indeed.. I dare say there aren't many better focusers around than the PDF.. and as Greg says, move it from scope to scope as you upgrade in the future.. the PDF has a very slim profile of only an inch or so from memory..