PDA

View Full Version here: : IceInSpace 5th Birthday Celebration Competition - How IceInSpace Has Helped You!

iceman
24-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Entries are Closed.

Entries Open from Monday 24th August 5pm until Thursday 3rd September 3pm (AEST).

IceInSpace turns 5 years old on September 13th, 2009, and we're running a simple giveaway competition to celebrate the occassion.

Over the last 5 years, IceInSpace has had a significant impact and made a significant contribution to the hobby of Amateur Astronomy in Australia, and around the world.

Now, we want to know what impact IceInSpace has had to YOU! How has IceInSpace helped you in amateur astronomy? What have you gotten out of IceInSpace? Inspiration? Motivation? Friendship? Knowledge? What keeps you coming back to visit IceInSpace every day or every week?

How To Enter

To be in the running, all you have to do is post a (relevant) reply in this IceInSpace 5th Birthday Competition - How IceInSpace Has Helped You entries thread.

The members who have replied will go into a draw, and 6 lucky winners will be pulled out of the virtual barrel. You have to post your reply between Monday 24th August 2009 5pm, and Thursday 3rd September 2009, 3pm (AEST).

For any questions, please visit the IceInSpace 5th Birthday Competition - Discussion Thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=49126).

Rules and Conditions at the bottom of this post.

Prizes

The first prize winner will receive:

STAR Atlas PRO: Pro-Am Edition (http://www.staratlaspro.com) by SKY:Lab Astronomy Software (valued at $155)
Knowing (Nicholas Cage) DVD
Three issues of the official PUSH comic series
Double-pass to see PUSH in cinemas, valid nationally from September 10, 2009.

The first runner up will receive:

STAR Atlas PRO: Pro-Am Edition (http://www.staratlaspro.com) by SKY:Lab Astronomy Software (valued at $155)

4 additional runners-up will receive:

About the prizes:

PUSH

Only at the movies, September 10th 2009

In a dangerous world of psychic warfare, where artificially enhanced paranormals have the ability to move objects with their minds, see the future, and kill without touching their victims, a group of young American ex-pats with telekinetic abilities are in hiding from a secret US government agency.

A future-seeing Watcher, Cassie (Dakota Fanning), teams up with a telekinetic Mover, Nick (Chris Evans), to help steal a briefcase that will determine the future of civilisation. To outrun the government agents on their trail, they must enlist the help of a mysterious, mind-controlling Pusher, Kira (Camilla Belle).

As the complex series of events and interconnections unfold, the young psychics must employ their different talents and work together to escape the agency forever.

PUSH features an all star cast including Chris Evans (Fantastic Four), Camilla Belle (When a Stranger Calls), Dakota Fanning (War of the Worlds) and Djimon Hounsou (Blood Diamond).

http://www.iconmovies.com.au/push

STAR Atlas PRO

STAR Atlas: PRO™ (http://www.staratlaspro.com) is a spectacular Planetarium and Star Atlas packed with features for astronomers and stargazers of all levels.

Find the location of countless celestial objects in no time at all, display and print detailed star charts, point 'n click to control your telescope, plan observations, dozens more features.

Rules and Conditions

IceInSpace offers this promotional giveaway as a service to its loyal and active members.
The giveaway is open to registered IceInSpace Forum members including the moderators. The moderators are volunteers and have had no involvement in organising this competition, so they are eligible to enter. The administrators (mojo and iceman) are not eligible to enter.
Movie Ticket Prize Valid for Australian residents of IceInSpace only
This thread will be open for entries from 5pm Monday 24th August, until 3pm September 3rd, 2009 AEST.
On Thursday 3rd September 2009, the 6 winners will be drawn out of a virtual barrel and will be contacted via forum Private Message and may have their names displayed on this site. Make sure your profile is setup to receive PM's and ensure your email address is valid so that you can be contacted!.
All winners must acknowledge their prize within 3 days of the draw. In the event that a winner cannot be contacted, a new name will be drawn from the barrel.
The prizes cannot be converted to cash.
Comments or questions about the giveaway competition can be posted in the IceInSpace 5th Birthday Competition - Discussion Thread (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=49126).

Jen
24-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Ok since this thread was created @ 6am and still no replies im gonna be a dare devil and go first :D

Since joining IIS (on 28th January 2008) i have neally posted 3000 posts :lol:
The first thing i learnt from this site is collimating ;) Thanks guys
I have learnt that size does matter :thumbsup::rofl:
I have learnt the do's and donts of polar aligning (still waiting for a nice night to give that a try) :screwy:
The astro pics that float around here made me realise that any backyarder can produce beautiful images not just the hubble scope etc :thumbsup: with a lot of patience and time of course ;)
That i need my own secret bank account to spend a lot more money on astro gear ;)
The genorosity of other IIS members in here is amazing :)
I have even got plenty of IT help form members in this forum :thumbsup:
I have so far met 2 IIS members and cant wait to meet many more of you in the future.:D
Love the laughs and jokes i have had with many of you in here :lol:
Thanks guys/girls the first time i came in here i grabed the nearest comfy couch and made myself at home in here :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thum bsup::thumbsup:
Ok next -------------->
:D

jjjnettie
25-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Mike, how does one fit an answer to that into just one post?
But I'll keep it short by listing the main reason why I keep coming back to IIS.
The most important thing to me is the friendships that I've made here. My dear, close friends whom I would never have met if it wasn't for this forum, and then there's the many others whom I regard as friends even though we've never met.
We're like an extended family, we share our thoughts, our experiences, our expertise and in this way our lives.
How could I go even one day without keeping in touch with you all.

erick
25-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Relieved the weight in my wallet.

sheeny
25-08-2009, 08:44 AM
When I bought my scope a few years ago to get back into it, I was all setup to start again from where I left off from astronomy back in the mid 80s.:)

Living remote from anywhere that has an astro society or club, my learning curve would've been very slow and difficult. I think that's the biggest advantage I've gotten from IIS, help and knowledge that's now available even if you can't get to club. No doubt that help, and seeing what others are doing, has provided ideas and motivation:thumbsup:.

Specifically how has IIS helped me?

Learned how to use webcams and CCD cameras for astro work
Learned how to process CCD astro photos in Registax, DSS, PS CS3 (still in progress)
Learned how to use K3ccdtools for both image capture, some processing and optimising drift alignment
Learned how to capture spectra with a Staranalyser and to process them with Visual Spec, and I'm learning how to interpret them
I've got no end of help with IT and astro problems :thumbsup:
I get appreciate some fantastic photographic work of others on IIs and learn from what they are doing.
I got a 16" lightbridge:D and an observatory!
I enjoy some laughs and online debates
I like being able to help others.
Thanks guys! (that means everyone... couldn't do it without you!):)

Al.

Ric
25-08-2009, 11:43 AM
IIS is one of the great Aussie websites in my mind.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What have I got out of IIS? An amazing wealth of info.

I have met a lot of great people that share the same passion.

My imaging has improved amazingly, I have learn't how to use the imaging software I have to turn fuzzy blobs into half decent images.:lol:

Thanks IIS and all its members for a fantastic five years and here's to another five years.:cheers:

claude2570
25-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Well Ice in space... lets see...

Well its like this, it has made me a better amateur astronomer, due to having friends here who just help you, with simple questions to the more difficult questions.. Its a community that i like, and has made me help others along the way aswell..

I have gain experience from learning from others and this is what i have come to love astronomy and about Ice in Space.

As a WSAAG member myself, and on the committee, learning from people who have been in astronomy more that i have, has made me teach or help others and i find that rewarding, motivating and gives me a sense of achievement from were i have come from till now..

I hope i can be part of Ice in Space, aswell as a WSAAGer.. as long as i can and hope to help or just give advise on what i have learn to others, so they can give advise and so on and so on..

Thanks and keep up the great work and

Explore our wonderful universe...

As i always say... "The universe is a my playground"

claude

Quark
25-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I had been involved in astronomy at various levels for many years before I discovered IIS. Living in the remote outback my appetite for astronomy was fed by occasional visits to the SPSP and a foray into the tertiary education system via distance ed.

On IIS I have come across others as passionate as me about their astronomy. My planetary imaging would not have progressed as rapidly if it were not for the advice I have received on IIS. The cream of Australian amateur planetary imagers post here and the ones I have spoken to have been very approachable and freely share their experiences.

I have no one out here in my region that I can discuss imaging problems with or talk to regarding experimentation with various processing techniques.

But for my time on IIS ( since April 2008, I think), I would not have gained such an understanding of Peltier cooling and probably would not have given any thought to building one. As a result of the improvement in my imaging I am now part of several international groups involved in planetary research.

When given the opportunity to observe with the Keck Telescopes at 14,000 ft on the summit of Mauna Kea it was with great pride that I wore my IIS beanie.

During my time on IIS I have made friendships with people that I would have never met but for IIS.

seanliddelow
25-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Since joining Ice in Space I have been helped by ametuar astronomers of all ages. I have made friendships and I have contacted fellow astronomy club members through IIS. This has helped me to find out many events. I have also recently purchased a new telescope, without IIS I would not know the pros and cons of certain telescopes. IIS has also made life easier because without a trolley, I would be lifting my own weight:scared:.
Everyone on IIS is friendly and they always are there to offer you advice. I would reccomend ice in space to any fellow astronomer.

Great work Mike:thumbsup:

cookie8
25-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Since joining IIS I have:

learned how to modify my 12"Dob
learned how to find the south celestial pole
bought all the gears I need second hand from forum members to start astro imaging
Sold a few unwanted items
made a few friends
obtained numerous tips and encouragements.
...and never ending gorgeous astrophotos to please me eyes!!

TheDecepticon
25-08-2009, 10:53 PM
For me, it would have to be pretty much the same as the others. A group of people with the same desire to learn, image and explore the universe. Without the forums help, I don't think my imaging would have come so far and now I'm moving on to my third camera. A bit of a giggle here and there and frivolous chit chat to wash away the dull drudgery of every day life!!:eyepop:

h0ughy
26-08-2009, 08:39 AM
from pleabian to moderator, there is a lot of astro growth in there, and some great people i met on the way at astro parties.....never would have been achieved without this site

avandonk
26-08-2009, 10:21 AM
The one thing that IIS has given me is a community of like minded individuals all with differering backgrounds and expertise. Being helped is not as satisfying as helping others. Both are close.

If I have stirred anyone I am not sorry. Free and fearless exchange of ideas is what this is all about.

Bert

Benno85
26-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Just one reply isn't enough to do my answer justice, but I'll try nonetheless:D

With the stresses that we all experience in today's modern world, this forum comes as a much needed relief. The constant struggle of work, loving and caring for a beautiful wife with mental health issues and raising a budding 3-year old star boy, when all are sound asleep and dreaming, it is this welcoming and soothing forum, and more specifically the truly unique and wonderful members that provide the fuel for my own passion and imagination about the night sky.

From the early days as an ABSOLUTE beginner who couldn't work out his Plossls from his Bob's Knobs, I love that through the help and kindness of this forum and its members I've come along way in this game, but love even more the fact that I have so much further to go.

I could ramble much further about the DIY tricks and tips and simple yet effective guides which this forum abounds with, but at the end of the day the one thing that rings truest is the fact that as a part of this forum, I'm a part of something much bigger than myself.....just like the Universe :)

Benno.

lacad01
26-08-2009, 04:58 PM
IIS has been a fantastic forum and knowledgebase where I've not only been helped over and over again but had the opportunity to help others starting out as well :)
It's been great to also meet fellow members at various get togethers :)

Big Dave
26-08-2009, 09:06 PM
My most valuable use is talking to people in the forums and then meeting them at a astro-camp and feeling like you have known them for years; where really it is the first time meeting face-to-face.
Ok, also the buy and sell is handy and very active!:)

Screwdriverone
26-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Ice In Space (IIS) & How It Has Helped Me.

Ice In Space is a unique community of people who have a common interest: Astronomy. But it isn't limited just to Astronomy, almost anything can become the next hot topic here. Like spelling......:)

One of the most valuable aspects of IIS is the diversity of the topics, the people and the knowledge locked within its virtual walls. The amount of information that can be gleaned from a simple 30 second post asking for help or for advice is staggering.

If you want to get into webcam imaging and need some advice or tips on how to process, ask Ice In Space!

If you fancy learning more about the night sky, ask Ice In Space!

If you want to buy a new telescope, but are not quite sure as to the best choice or have some doubts, ask Ice In Space!

If you are lonely and need some interaction with friends, colleagues, or simply a friendly ear, ask Ice In Space!

If you want to be witness to International Astronomy News as it breaks, ask Ice In Space!

But one of the most valuable lessons I have ever learned in IIS in the 18 months since becoming a member is: NEVER buy a telescope (or accessory) before asking here first, you will most likely regret it because, you will find a cheaper/better/more featured/more suitable item here the day AFTER you buy it on your own.

Ice In Space is my favourite website and one of the most valuable resources I have ever come across.

Happy 5th Birthday, Ice In Space.

Hip Hip, Hooray!

Chris

wavelandscott
27-08-2009, 06:56 AM
I think you could class this question in with other philosphical questions like "How deep is a hole?"...

I am not sure that I could put into mere words all of the ways that IIS has helped me.

#1 It has helped me become a better observer through helpful hints and suggestions of others
#2 It has helped me learn about new gear and how to better express my opinons about it
#3 It has helped me find some friends that share a common passion (in this instance the night sky)
#4 It has helped me reach out to others to share my opinon and reinforce that it has worth.

StevenA
27-08-2009, 12:01 PM
:stargaze:wow! Their is so much to say when it comes to what I have recieved from being a member of IIS and using this site. I could talk about the information I have gleaned from just reading the forums and article provided. I could talk about the help people have offered when I have asked questions. The 'thing' I get the most of is the
Commerardiary (Spelling ?) and Friendship.
Member have been inspiration for me in this socially awkward interest. After all it is a late night type of obssession and most are already winding down for the night or are already asleep. It is basically a lone interest They have also been supportive and sympathetic too. When things have been hard they inspired me to keep trying and help to resolve the problem by giving advice or more information. Sympathy or empathy has been forth coming when I have needed it but have not expressed the need. ISS members seem to be aware of more than what is simply written. They read between the lines. Ametuer Astronomers are more than average people they are intuitive and intelligent. THis I have learnt from the ISS site.
So what have I 'got' from being a member of the ISS site and how has it helped me? Well I have been helped both emotively and physically (when a kind person sent me a couple of EP's; the ones I had were old and scratched). Most importantly of all I have been given "Friendship".
For this I am truly grateful.

Jen
27-08-2009, 09:57 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

This thread has been awsome to read :thumbsup:

:love::love::love::love:

Greg_White
29-08-2009, 08:35 AM
How has IceInSpace helped you in amateur astronomy?
Learnt about CCD cameras and PS software (and continuing to learn)

What have you gotten out of IceInSpace?
It is an excellent central repository for shared knowledge and experience. I appreciate the excellent photographic work of others which motivates me to hone my own skills and knowledge in this area.

Inspiration? Motivation? Friendship? Knowledge?
Thankyou to all domestic and international contributors, and to Mike Salway and Terry Mohan whose leadship has made this site one of the best in the world, you are all inspirational.

What keeps you coming back to visit IceInSpace every day or every week?
To see what others are doing and how what they are doing influences the shape, learning and experience I gather and develop as an individual.

Tales from the Unknown Astronomer
"The Dob is my telescope, I shall not want. It maketh me go out on dark nights; it leadeth me through the Messier Objects; It restoreth my night vision; It leadeth me to star parties; Yet though I walk through the valley of the shadow of large scopes, I will fear no evil for my Naglers and Widefields they comfort me. Thou preparest a star chart before me in the presence of the galaxies. Thou anointest my head and optics with dew; my eyepieces and finder cloudeth up. Surely good seeing and no mosquitoes shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the deep skies of the night forever."

Thanks to all
Greg

Tamtarn
30-08-2009, 09:35 AM
How IIS helped us

We began our journey with IIS on 25/5/06.We quickly learnt that whatever question you had about Astronomy would quickly be answered by the many experienced members on the forum.

We were totally inexperienced in anything to do with astronomy having only just purchased our first telescope (a little refractor) 6 months earlier at the ripe old age of 63.

We then purchased a 12" Dob and posted our first questions on IIS we gained information on which eyepieces were suitable, star charts, planisphere, filters, dew shield, dew heaters, telrad etc and of course the IIS Dob mods - teflon sliders cooling fan and portable trolley.

Next our EQ mount - things we had never heard of before Polar alignment, SCP, and drift aligning.

Then more recently our venture into astrophotography - Piggyback, Afocal, Prime focus, guidescope, guidecamera, PHD autoguiding, DeepSky Stacker, and Photoshop. All of which neither of us had any experience with whatsoever.

Now to our present setup - EQ6 Pro, Celestron C9.25 SCT, Canon 40D DSLR, all mounted on a permanent pier in our homemade roll off roof observatory.

We're proud to have had one of our DSLR deep sky images published and have others in the pipeline to be published also.

We have also met many wonderful IIS members of which some have become very close friends.

We have come a long way in just 3 years. Where else could a couple our age gain such a wealth of knowledge in such a short time without leaving the comfort of our home?

Our success in what we have accomplished in 3 years is totally due to IIS :thumbsup:

Happy 5th birthday Mike

David and Barb

Kevnool
30-08-2009, 03:36 PM
First of all congrats on the 5th birthday.
IIS has helped me from from knowing a little to knowing a little bit more.
Forums are for all to share experiences and knowledge.
Again happy birthday.
Cheers Kev.

DJDD
30-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Hey,

Without IIS I would never have heard of HDR!

cheers,
DJDD

Neil
31-08-2009, 06:10 PM
The two years I,ve been a member at IIS have been great. Although I have,nt posted as often as I should have, when I have asked for help or advise about equipment or assistance with a problem the responces have been many and varied, and extreamely helpfull. IIS is a great asset for amatear astronomers. I believe it is the best, not only in Australia and the southern hemisphere......Tomorrow the WORLD.

Inmykombi
31-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Happy Birthday Ice in Space........woooo-hoooo.:birthday:

I have been into Astronomy in a minor way since I was a Paper boy in the early 70's.

When I moved to a new home on the Central Coast of NSW many years ago, I was looking for an astronomy club up this way with the intention to get back into Astronomy.
I almost gave up looking for a club, when I heard about Ice in Space at a Macquarie UNI open night in Sydney.

I then logged onto IIS and gave myself a silly name and sold my old scope within 24 hrs of posting it.
After looking around the web-site and buying another scope from the IIS Classifieds, I was amazed at all the wonderful information and help there was available to all of us here.
It was from then on, I got back into my much loved hobby in a big way.

I met with so many great people at Star Parties and Casual observing sessions.

I must say that after getting onto IIS regularly, I re-gained my previously lost enthusiasm for this great interest of ours.

I still have that enthusiasm, and I can honestly says its still growing due to all of YOU out there that help and contribute to this web-site everyday.

Cheers to all and Thanks Ice in Space....

alan meehan
31-08-2009, 09:06 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ICEINSPACE
Iceinspace has helped me in so many ways it is not possibble to put them all down .The friends and helpfull information have remade Astronomy a passion for me ,there is no end to the wealth of help on these forums if not by asking or just listening and learning and
watching. Thanks iceinspace bring on the party:party:

Jaeger
01-09-2009, 07:07 AM
IceInSpace has been a great source of advice, and encouraged me to (finally) get my first Dobsonian telescope.

Hope the next five years are as successful as the first!

I.C.D
01-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Iceman (Mike)
After reading the above threads i have to agree with all of them, what a great site to have at our finger tips ,to find out information on our hobby ,no matter what it is their is always someone out their that can and will help you .Keep up the good work please we know it takes up some of your viewing time in running the site WELL DONE
Ian C

circumpolar
01-09-2009, 07:14 AM
When ever I purchase astronomy equiptment (Which is rarely) it is always based on the information that I gained from my fellow Ice In Spacers.
The community is an endless wealth of information that is only a click away.

Thanks Mike, and all those members who post and contribute to the site.
:)

markseibold
01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Dear IIS

Although I am quite new here, I find the camaraderie and general info from others to be an invaluable resource for amateur astronomers. My award winning astronomy art, although published in many other venues, has received great admiration here by the members at ICC, and I thank all of you.

Mark Seibold
Artist-Astronome,r Portland Oregon

*And so some of my dry moon dust cosmic humor for a change >
(Large Image available at) > http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/markseibold/ComicOnMoonPastelByMarkS.jpg

nandopg
01-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Happy 5th IIS !!

I think of IIS as a fertile ground to present and to absorb ideas related to astronomy and astroimaging in general. I have benefit myself several times of the goowill of people here in helping others.

I would like to congratulate all the people involved in the site's operation for keeping this outstanding resource available to the world.

Fernando

HawaiiBill
01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Ice in Space has helped me enormously by constant ability to "see the other side" of our skies from Australia. My viewing is more frequently than I'd like to admit barred by Hawaiian clouds but I keep up as best I can with iPhone's pUniverse (Pocket Universe by Craic Design).

That little jewel gets and keeps my latitude and longitude and nightly shows me "what's up." It's possible to move it down under to see what you folks are staring at.

Keep in touch with your most welcome newsletter plus personal contacts by e-mail with our Great Leader every now and then AND wearing my terrific IceInSpace beanie.

Now how's that for a happy member far off in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?

HawaiiBill :cool2:

peterbat
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
IIS has helped me get in touch with a fantastic bunch of people and given me great ideas for modifying my telescope.
As a result of the info on IIS I've attended 4 start parties in the last couple of years, and I'm looking forwards to more.

Happy Birthday IIS!

Peter

Widd
01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Happy Birthday IiS. Great work guys.
I think its great to have chat and classifieds from people who are passionate about astronomy...its unlikely that the wider public with a glancing interest in the subject would use the site.
The benefit to us, I think, is that sale items are likely to have been well looked after as opposed to items advertised in the national papers.
We're passionate about our hobby and passionate about our gear.

Brian

Kaarpy
01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
There's great advice about equipment which has helped me set up my first 'scope, everyone is very friendly and willing to to be helpful. There's heaps of info about what is happening in the skies and I am looking forward to attending my first 'star party' at the Ice in Space camp, having a lot of fun and doing some fast-track learning and deep-sky observing. :thumbsup:

Laurie Meintjes
01-09-2009, 09:42 AM
What I have appreciated most about the Ice In Space community is its friendly spirit and unbridled willingness to welcome and advise a new chum. I have accepted that advice and taken my first, happy steps into the world of backyard astronomy. Thank you for the warm welcome, and have a very happy birthday.

Laurie Meintjes
Cooranbong, NSW

mickqueensland
01-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Happy Bday IIS,

I have found great advice and information here. Sharing of information like this is the best way to promote the art of astronomy. I am about to leap into the hobby in the biggest way I can afford and the advice has been extremely helpful.

Cheers to all :thumbsup:
Mick

rogerg
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I've been trying to work out how to best summarise how IIS has helped me but I'd better get a move along and post something...

- Help on many DIY/ATM tasks
- Saving on cost of new toys by use of Trade forums.
- Getting something back for the items I no longer need via Trade forums
- Keeping my interest alive while it rains and pours for weeks, and while my equipment is dead/broken
- Getting some reward for my photography by way of comments and constructive criticisms of images

.... and so much more.

A very beneficial site, no doubt about it.

Roger.

Buddman
01-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I've been semi-interested in astronomy for years but the bug really bit only about 3 years ago when I was shown how much can be done in astro-imaging (thanks Paul 1ponders). IceInSpace has been invaluable as a resource for learning more about setting up a scope and especially the tricky part of processing images.

As a High School science teacher it has helped inspire me as to what can be done. Some websites have good information but I think that the forum is the best in that anyone (myself and my students) can post questions and get great advice and a healthy discussion in return.

Oh, nearly forgot to mention the fact that it is also a great place to meet people with the same interest (as opposed to some family members and work colleagues who seem to be really hard to impress - how can you not be excited about the remnants of an exploding star or a far away galaxy?).

Cheers IceInSpace.

Paul Haese
01-09-2009, 10:54 AM
The people - plain and simple for me. Met and become friends with Anthony, Stu, Peter, John, the big guy and a few other chaps as a result of being part of this site.

sasup
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Ice in space has benefited us all in different ways. Some love the interaction and others like the threads on new gadgets and updates. Still others love the tec talk. As I see it ice in space is an on-line coffee house for those who look up.:eyepop:
I know that for myself this site has been my resource for info on how to use my scope. I'm sorry to say that, my scope sit for two years until one night I was looking on-line and found Ice in space. I read a thread on how to find stars and planets, I was hooked and read all entries. That weekend I set my scope out on the back deck and using my new sky atlas I found the Jewel box and saw for the first time the rings of Saturn; not clearly but they where there. At 42 year old It took all this time to finely see. Thanks Ice in space.:thumbsup:

cheers stacey

DavidU
01-09-2009, 11:04 AM
After being scopeless for over a decade things in the amature astronomy world are very different.I started by being taught mirror grinding & polishing in the late 60's when I was a kid. Not wanting to be way behind the 8 ball I joined up on IIS. Well ! such awesome info and folks abound.
I have learned (and learn something every day)
CS2 processing, CMOS & CCD tips, computer hardware & software stuff, OAG, guiding, optical science, macro photography, flats, darks bias etc,Image plus Registax to name a few. The list goes on and on.
Thanks folks !

Esseth
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I’m a newbie, greenhorn, complete amateur, rookie and a fish when it comes to astronomy and I truly believe that I found Ice in Space at the perfect time. Before I make all the mistakes that everyone else has...

On this site have pretty much found everything I need to know or resources to use.

The guide to the first step – Don’t buy a telescope, buy a decent pair of binos. I would have rushed out and bought a telescope with 500x zoom wasting my money and ruining any interest in astronomy that I was beginning to develop. So for that I can not thank you enough!

From simple things like the sun and moon cycles on the left side of the page through to the move specific projects and guides like how to place a light pollution map overlay on Google Earth as well as local clubs and groups that I plan on heading out to for their next public viewing night.

Basically if I have learned as much as I have and I am so new to the field, I can’t imagine how much ill be able to learn when I start getting into the more intermediate and advanced fields of astronomy.

Thanks and happy birthday :D

TrevorW
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Well where can I start

1. learned a lot
2. what to and what not to buy
3. Sold some stuff
4. Met and talked to like minded souls
5. Made new friends
6. Shared a passion
7. Cried and laughed

All those things that make living what it should be

Thank you

AlexN
01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I had never had an interest in astronomy at all untill march last year.. I was a very keen photographer, however I'd never seen or even heard of astro-photography... I was doing google searches for example of long focal length photography, one of the google results intrigued me.. It was a picture of M20. I clicked on it and it brought me here... I signed up that same day, had bought my first telescope after much helpful advice after 2 weeks.. and from there, my interest in astronomy has far surpassed my interest in terrestrial photography.. The only things I've recently taken terrestrial shots of is my telescopes! :)

IceInSpace started my interest in Astronomy, It has nurtured me through the earlier 'beginner' stages.. and continues to provide all the information and help I might need for any given situation.

Above all else, its the friends, both the ones I've met and spent quite a bit of time with, and the ones I talk to regularly via msn or other chat..

IIS is a fantastic resource, and a general great place to be!

TJD
01-09-2009, 05:34 PM
the question should be how did iceinspace not help me

at the start :helped me learn alot:D
help me buy my second scope:D

middle :made friendship:) had some where to post photography:D
helped me join a club(aswa):P had some people to talk to when i dropped a screwdriver on my baby(TELESCOPE) :(

now:more friendships :D,people to talk to:P ,photochallenge threads :D

iceinspace is a second family to me :D
the people here also talked some cents into me and stopped me buying a 16" :thumbsup: what was i thinking:screwy:

spearo
01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Hello,
It's hard not to repeat what all other members have already indicated.

Personally, I remember when I joined and started posting my first attempts at imaging.

I often found myself explaining to other friends and people at work etc. how I had discovered this online community which was a truly unique place for me.

While I work in an environment with lots of challenges, personal tragedies, interpersonal conflicts,etc., I often would tell colleagues of this community that seemed a totally positive environment for me.

People supporting and encouraging each other. People helping total strangers including one person, who didn't know me from a bar of soap at the time, even offering to and then traveling very long distances at personal expense to personally come and help me out, on site, when I was struggling with the steep learning curve. Needless to say I made a good friend through IIS.

IceInSpace has been my personal positive refuge, my regular small reminder that there is good in the world.

frank

EcoRI
01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, I'm quite new here so I'll post this from my limited perspective. I've been toying around with my old 110mm newtonian for quite some time now, but it was really like the blind leading the blind.

1. The information here, both the articles and the forum discussions are probably a better resource than purchasing every amateur astro book in print.

2. I dont have time to join a club and none of my firends are interested in astronomy. This serves as a great way to communicate with like minded people about my passion.

3. Its the people again, the theory of 'ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer' does not apply here. People are happy to share their knowledge with you as long as your trying to learn about astronomy. I've posted some really naive questions and no one has once posted a sumg arrogant reply, instead I have been well informed regarding my question and generally get a few PM's with other tips. That kind of information can save weeks of time and money. Hopefully some day I can add something useful rather than ask so many questions. Give me a few decades and I'll get there.

4. I dont mean to ramble on here, but this site has fast-tracked my astronomy knowledge 10X

Have another good 5 years and thanks so far for the help.

Greg

Minair
01-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi,
I have only been looking at stars for a short time and IceInSpace has been my saviour, a great helper in setting up my scope and what to look for sites to see.
I haven’t had much to say but a lot of reading and helpful hints by others has been most helpful.
Ron

Rastis
01-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Hows it going,
IceInSpace has helped me by giving me information about what to buy for my first scope, where to buy it, and how to use it.

Thanks,
Rastis.

dpastern
01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
1) Has helped me with equipment selection (including software)

2) has helped me better understand and use said equipment (including software)

3) has motivated me towards astro imaging

4) has overall been an education in areas of Astronomy and imaging that I'm not familiar with

5) has been fun

Dave

PS If I were to win, please consider donating the winnings to a school or social group

edit: added "including software" to post

tommycc78
01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Ice In Space has empowered me with knowledge that can't be gleaned from astronomy magazines nor textbooks - I'm talking real-world amateur astronomy experience.

Your threads helped me to choose a great telescope, and have given me the necessary knowledge tools to use it effectively!

Thank you Ice-In-Space, keep up the good work, and "keep watching the skies" :)

Cheers
Tom

Nico13
01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Having just returned to astronomy after a long break, Ice In Space played a big role in deciding on equipment to purchase and with good links to sponsors sites that informed me of my choices.
After choosing to buy second hand gear the forums have been a great help in setting up the Meade SC and Autostar and building a pier mounting to suit the Super Polaris mount.
I'm still in the process of researching other accessories for my setup and kit for photography etc, things to come.
This continuously brings me back to Ice in Space for more info and also the latest Astro News, a worthy site with a friendly helpful group of users.
Great stuff Ice in Space keep it up.

Nico.

Domol
01-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Well .....firstly given me something to do on cloudy wet nights (I'm from Melbourne :rofl:) and secondly, ditto, all of the above posts!

I've learnt so much!
Three cheers for iceinspace !!!:D

Rattler
01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Boo!

How did it help? Lots. Equipment, located some old mates and information on a great many events both here on Earth and off it. As a source of information and commentary, I have not found its equal.

When? Well from before I even joined as a member. It was the fact that the "How" happened that joining happened. Also, "When" is more a continuous happening as well. It has not stopped.

Why? Ah...now I get to be complimentary to all. The source of the information is credible - in other words, the members and creators all being contributors make the "Why" relevant. Their knowledge base is why it has worked and helped me.

Keep on keeping on.....to steal a phrase! OR

Stay sober....or invite me!

John

Zubenel
01-09-2009, 10:10 PM
It's great to be part of something that is so huge . I say this in a litteral and metaphorical sense.
Ice in space has given me new friends , good times and experiences i would never of dreamed of.
Thanks Mike and Co.:thumbsup:
Zub

RapidEye
01-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I keep coming back so I can live vicariously through your guy's posts!!! Can't wait to get back down under so I can see the southern skies first hand!

Moonman
01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Mike and all IceinSpacers,

When I first joined and introduced myself I announced that with my 76cm Saxon Reflector I'd be doing a lot lunar astronomy.

Mike responded with the comment "There's certainly much to learn and know about the Moon".

Within the first month I'd posted my first pieces of Astrophotograghy and this opened up a whole new world to me.:eyepop:

Four years later I'm still learning. Currently I'm enrolled at Swinburne Astronomy Online and I am in the midst
of writing an essay on the effect of tidal forces in the Solar System.:scared:

For my major project I'll be attempting to measure some distances to asteroids using ccd images that I'll be taking with my 10 inch reflector on an EQ6 Mount.:scared:

It's almost a whole world away from where I started but the constant factor is that I'm still learning and there's still just as much "learn and know" regardless of where you are.

To Mike and all moderators and members keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bruceaust
01-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Ice in space has made me realise that there is not only "ice in space" but also "ice in my back yard" when I go outside star gazing in winter time in Tasmania.

Regards,

Bruce

Moon
02-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Happy birthday IceInSpace!

IIS has been a great resource for me during my first year of Astronomy. It has also been rewarding to help out others who are either just starting or have hit the same issues as me. Off the top of my head, I can remember reading very interesting and informative threads about importing the ED127 from China, how to polar align, the GSO RC, 101 ways to accidentally destroy your gear, the 2009 total eclipse in China, the Malin Awards, hobbing a worm gear, the bird strike and countless others.

In particular, I really appreciate IceTrade. It is clearly the number one place in Australia for second hand astro gear. There is a good supply of second hand gear on offer and a cashed up and eager market on the buying side too.

Of course it's people that make this web site what it is. I won't name names (you know who you are) but we have the astro gear gurus, the pixel peepers, the planetary imaging mob, the Tak team, the anti political correctness flamers, the ultra helpful, the scientists, the pgc hunters, the newbies, the ATMers, the semi professionals and the vendors. We all share a passion, and we are all probably have the same personality type. IIS is a great way for us all to keep in touch.

Finally to the moderators - on other astro forums posts often get deleted for seemingly no reason at all. The independence from vendors and freedom of speech is great and I think it keeps it more 'real' - keep up the good work!

fok4tel
02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I am a IIS member since 2008. It is through IIS that I started to involve seriously in astronomy. I got my first 'serious' telescope from one of the IIS members. Since then the IIS has become my source of astronomy gears and knowledge. People here are friendly and helpful. I got lots of practical advices from them.
No doubt, IIS is the sole reviver of the hobby!

WadeH
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Well what can one say after all these posts from such a wonderful and varied community!

Other than: Space is Big, Really Big!!

The patience, information and humor (not thinking of Jen here:rofl::lol::P:D:)) is all priceless.

Again a big universal thanks to Mike a the team for keeping the IIS community going.

jcri60
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Happy 5th to a great site.

IIS helped me choose my first telescope after my interest in Astronomy was rekindled after recovering from a serious illness.

I'm like the silent partner, but I do appreciate everybodies contributions.

I might eventually join an Astronomy club when life becomes less hectic, but at the moment I am happy to potter around in the back yard for an hour or so looking up to the heavens and going !wow! And when I get stuck I refer to IIS,

Thanks again

Allan_L
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Ice in Space was a shock to me. Having only recently renewed an active interest in looking skyward, I was feeling a little odd at my mature age. So looking for help in the bookshop, I was surprised to read about the internationally recognised web site which had originated from a Central Coast local.

Impressed!

Without delay, logging on to the web address I was further amazed by the quality and volume of information available to people such as I.

I read with interest numerous stories such as mine. And the education path of members who now had experience, having been in my position not so long ago.

Finally taking the plunge to attend a dark sky event at Mangrove Mountain, I was so relieved to find a large group of faithfuls who were more interested in helping me to find my feet than they were in their own personal observations.

I owe so much to a bunch of dedicated guys (especially Geoff! - just to name a few!!!)

Although, I must admit my financial wealth would probably be a whole lot healthier had I not encountered Ice In Space.
That is nothing compared to the wonderful wealth of friendships I have found. And the amazing universe I have only just started to appreciate.

Thanks Mike.:thumbsup:

AstroFlyer
02-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Similar situation here.
After having my life on hold for couple of years battling serious illness I came across this site.
Ice in Space rekindled my interest in astronomy.
I was blown away by quality of images & advice produced by the members.
This is the first site I visit when I get on the web every day, checking new posts and trying to learn as much as possible.
Thanks to IceTrade Classifieds I was able to acquire a "serious" scope at a good price.
The more I read the more I realise I have LOTS to learn...
I will definitely enjoy the journey.:thumbsup:

Happy 5th Birthday:D

michaelcw
02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Happy Birthday
Where to start? like others this site has been fantastic for me, it has helped me select a great scope and various other bits ($$$ :) ). I even managed to sell my first scope via the classifieds with out any problems. My sons cub pack is now all excited about space and planets and subject to clouds we have regular viewings. Now I head into the great area of photography with all the posts from Iceman and other to help me.

Thanks and lets bring on the next 5 years!!!!!

oziemouse
02-09-2009, 09:45 PM
When I first stumbled across IIS many years ago, I was after some information about Australian Astronomy in general, and telescopes in particular. Like all new-comers, I was after something which would do anything, and satisfy everything. Little did I know that it would be many years later that I would finally purchase my first scope. But thanks to IIS, I could not be happier with the purchase of my Dob.

Happy 5th Birthday IIS, and best wishes to all the forum members!

TrevorW
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Ice in space is the place to be
plenty of friends and lots to see
So why don't you join us
become part of this crew
just like a family
somewhere to go and talk
to share our good and bad times
to have a laugh and grow as
a family should
Ice in Space is the place to be

astroron
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Iceinspace has been a good part of my life for the last four and a half years.
I have made some good friends and enjoy the company of other iceinspaces here at Cambroon and at Astrofest.
The regular Cambroon nights would not be happening except for this site:thumbsup:

Crackers
02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
What have I got from Ice in Space? Somewhere to make me feel completely bloody inadequate! Every time I think I'm getting on top of this brilliant hobby, I come back to find that I'm an absolute babe in the woods.

Every question that I come up with has been asked and answered a dozen times. What's worse, it's been handled with tolerance and humour and explained in a way that even complete novices can understand.

Still, I have got one thing of real value from IIS (apart from the excellent help and advice - of course). I now have an endless supply of ways to compete with my wife's horses for the last few dollars from the family income at the end of the week.

Happy Birthday IIS - arguably the best (and certainly the friendliest) astronomy site on the net. Cheers!

Globular3
03-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well, Ice In Space has helped me in a number of ways.

I've felt a 'sense of belonging' as I shared discussions with other members about my questions or as I have tried to help them with their enquiries. Watching the membership numbers grow is exciting since interest in the science/hobby must be spreading across the community.
I've enjoyed reading the astronomical news via this site, e.g. the recent collision on Jupiter.
Other members have provided some great help for choosing new astronomical equipment in terms of the best quality and value. Also, recommendations for good shops to purchase the equipment from gave me the security to buy with confidence, e.g. the Long Perng 7mm - 21 mm zoom eyepiece which I recently obtained.
The 'Projects and Articles' have given me inspiration as well as ideas for things I could make.

Thanks to all those who have made contributions to Ice In Space as this has helped me to grow in knowledge and also enjoy astronomy so much more.

All the best,

Deimos
03-09-2009, 06:56 AM
IceInSpace has helped me to meet an amazing group of people via IISAC - people who all have an interest in what's up there, how it came to be and where it's all is going.

So many people are willing to help out with entertainment (stories), advice and even labour (moving heavy equipment around in the middle of a cold, cold night to avoid that nasty rain storm that's just cranking up).

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone at Lostock again this year!

Thank you all for your advice and support,
Ant.

NeilW
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Ice in Space is an excellent site. Browsing the forum threads has taught me an enormous amount, as well as helping me make decisions regarding equipment purchases, saving a lot of unnecessary expense. I've also got a couple of bargains throught the classifieds.

Can't get by without my daily IIS fix. Congratulations on an excellent site, and keep up the good work!

Terry B
03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday IIS
How has it helped me?
It has made me communicate with other astronomers and helped me find a purpose to why I look through my scope.
It has also let me help others with my limited knowledge.

allan gould
03-09-2009, 01:45 PM
How has IIS helped me?
First its helped me to get into astrophotography and all this issues involved withthis persuit.
All members of the forum Im indebted to either for extremely helpful advuce or for sharing some stupid mistakes.
But mainly for the comradery that this forum has helped me attain.
Ive made some great friends that we have soend many nights persuing either visual or photography into the early hours of the morning. A great site for keeping abreast of the latest in Australia.

Rastas
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
IIS has helped me meet like minded individuals to chat and share thoughts.
Its also helped me discover how to do new things with my scope and get going in visual as well as astrophotography.
But most of all it gives me and appreciation of the Cosmos and the people that enjoy it.

iceman
03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Winners are announced here:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=49126