PDA

View Full Version here: : Making it Black Inside

Mike21
20-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Guys,

I was looking over the 2nd hand stuff the other day and I found Alex (Melb) selling a standard 200X1200 Dob very cheaply. I have one but was still interested in what's going on. I'm glad I did! Alex was advertising that he'd "veloured" the inside of his tube. Initially, I thought: crazy? But I PM'ed him and asked more. Then I tracked down a roll of this sticky backed velour and I've just finished applying it to the inside of my Mak180. BLACK? NO, it doesn't get any blacker. The inside of the tube is entirely invisible even in broad daylight. It looks kinda spooky seeing the mirror floating in space. I haven't included piccies because they don't really show it off, but the first chance I get, I'll post more of my Jupiter efforts in the SS section. Alex reckoned it was entirely worth the effort wrt increasing contrast in his Dob, I'll tell you how I go after the first clear night.

DavidU
20-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Great idea !

toryglen-boy
20-08-2009, 03:44 PM
great idea!

can you point us in the right direction for where this velour is located? ie. where can i buy some?

;)

Terry B
20-08-2009, 03:47 PM
How do you keep the fluff that will shed off the velour from getting on the primary mirror?

Lismore Bloke
20-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Some use black sheet felt from Spotlight. Self adhesive.
Mentioned on this thread:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=48714&highlight=flocking

Mike21
20-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Duncan (and others): Here's the link to Crockers Paint, right to the relevant page.

http://www.crockerspaint.com/shop/products/118/Self_Adhesive_Contact_Paper.html

Twelth product down on the Left column. It can be bought by the metre (6th down) but I thought if this is half as good as I reckon, I want a role. $100.00/5m delivered. I will try and get a photo of it to give you some idea of its BLACKNESS! I should've taken a "before" shot. I'm including 2 aftershots.

Terry: very sticky, sticky tape rolled inside out about your four fingers. Then just pat all the velour to pick up fluff or any white bits that stuck themselves to the velour in its application. It is very low fluff finish in the first place. I know this is tandamount to sacrilage, but I use a lens pen to give my lens and mirror a bit of a wipe before reassembling. Professional photographers use them on multi-$K lenses, so I reckon its good enough for my $999 Mak.

Lismore Bloke: This makes felt look Gloss.

Mike21
20-08-2009, 09:25 PM
They don't do it the slightest justice.

Inmykombi
21-08-2009, 11:13 PM
How cool is that.

I want some....

Geoffro.

multiweb
22-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah flocking makes a huge difference. I did both my SCT and newt a while ago. The increase in contrast was massive. Those two pics are my C11 and my 5" newt . The two photos were taken with the flash on in broad day light. I used the protostar material from http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm

It's so thin that I even flocked the inside of all my 2" adapters and extension tubes. Even flocked the insite of the C11 baffle tube :)

Mike21
22-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the alternative option Marc. I got my first look through my super-flocked scope last night but it was not a good night to make any judgements. Scattered clouds, howling wind and other nasties. If you and others reckon it makes such a difference, makes you wonder why such a simple addition isn't done as factory standard.

I mean to get to the Ourimbah Pony Club soon Geoff. You can see for yourself when I do. I was all set to go a month or so ago, but a switch from DS (mount not up to it) to planets lowered Pony Club's priority. I wouldn't mind dropping in (with Mak) for social reasons nontheless.

multiweb
22-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Because it takes time to do and time is money. I don't think it's viable for manufacturers to do it on standard scopes. :shrug: