PDA

View Full Version here: : The Dream Telescope

seanliddelow
14-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Heres a website I came across that shows a 42 inch Dobson:eyepop:. It is the largest transportable telescope in the world. I think its amazing that he manages to transport this telescope. I hope to get a telescope as big or bigger then this when im older:D. Post how much you would think this costs.
http://www.cruxis.com/scope/scope1070.htm

M54
15-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Crikey, that's big!:eyepop:

Is that a plastic rubbish bin being used to cover the secondary mirror?

Tony Leece
15-08-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm amazed he has the courage to do solar observing with it...
Imagin if the mylar film ripped when you where looking into the eyepiece. it would burn ya face off :eyepop:
No idea as to the price, but id give him a tenner for it :D

citivolus
15-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I too am amused by the mylar solar filter :)

Imagine a bird flying into that reflective surface...

seanliddelow
15-08-2009, 10:04 AM
You could start a house fire with the moon:rofl:.

DavidU
15-08-2009, 10:11 AM
:lol::lol::lol: nearly choked on my breakfast!

Jules76
15-08-2009, 12:19 PM
WOW! You really get a good feel for the sheer size of it when considering the secondary mirror is as big as my primary! :eyepop:

I found the pic of him storing his telescope in the garage amusing. The poor old car has to sit outside. :lol:

renormalised
15-08-2009, 03:59 PM
That "lightbucket" should be classed as a WMD..."Weapon of Mass Distraction"....because you'd be so in awe of the instrument you'd forget to have a look through it!!!!. That thing is nearly as high as a 2 storey house!!!!. Maybe it should be called a Weapon of Mass Delusion...where in the whole of Europe are you going to get a sky dark enough to fully utilise the capabilities of that scope. Nowhere. It's bad enough for scopes far smaller than that behemoth. A country like Oz or even some of the darker corners of the US it might get a good shake down but not there.

But he wanted one that big, and good on him. However if I were to build a scope of that size, it'd be on a fork mount, in an observatory and would cost considerably more than it did to build.

Actually, it would make a great weapon....of Mass Destruction, it'd collect that much light!!!. Have a bright, cloudless, sunny day and turn it towards the sun. Put in a 10-25mm ocular, and a shaft of semi-coherent, multi-megawatt light would leap out and burn a hole instantly through 16 feet of armour plate steel!!!!:eyepop::eyepop::P:P:D:D

pgc hunter
15-08-2009, 06:15 PM
no, no, that's the moon filter......for daytime moon viewing. For night time moon viewing, one must triple stack said filter and wear welding glasses in order to not kill eyesight.