PDA

View Full Version here: : OPT Service - Excellent

sadia
14-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Placed my Order on 11th. Items are already on my desk by 14th!
I think this is the fastest shipping experience I ever had when dealing with overseas dealer. They even replied my initial query (emailed query on 10th) before placing the order on 11th.

This is just awesome!

PCH
14-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm with Sadie,

Opt(corp) have been terrific. Quicker than ordering from the east coast for us in WA generally. And they were happy to split my (last) order into two parcels with separate bills in order that a customs inspection didn't reveal an invoice for well more than a grand. 10 out of 10 for OPT from me :thumbsup:

Barrykgerdes
14-08-2009, 12:21 PM
The best service I had from an Overseas country (US) was in the late 1960's. I was working on a new 1KW HF transmitter that blew up the diodes (encapsulated 3 phase bridge) in the power supply due to the filter capacitor failing. I spoke to the Australian Agent who rang the parent company and I had the replacement parts in 24 hrs plus the suggestion to leave the filter capacitor out. The transmitter was back operational in and hour after this.

For those in the know the transmitter was the pilot installation of the AN/URT-23v and the company RF Communications.

Barry

Jules76
14-08-2009, 02:12 PM
And you got away with it? Because I was reading on the Customs site that if you receive multiple packages from the same sender around the same time, that they will combine them to work out customs duty. I assume they do this to catch out people trying to get around the $1000 limit this way.

But if you got away with it that's great. :thumbsup: I just wouldn't go pushing your luck and do it too often. :)

Great to hear Optcorp provide great service. While I'm yet to purchase anything form them as yet, I always check what they have when researching future purchases.

PCH
14-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi Julian,

I have to confess, it had occurred to me that that the customs dudes might do something like that. But I convinced myself that surely they must have better things to do than occupy their precious time trying to catch out a solitary tripod/telescope customer. Bit sad if they haven't is all I can say :P

But hey - thanks for the tip Julian. I'll have to space out my part orders in future by a few days or so :thumbsup:

DJDD
14-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Careful, the Black Hats may be watching this forum... :whistle:

marki
14-08-2009, 09:03 PM
OPT are great, I use them all the time. Always answer emails and keep you informed of what is going on. And yes, US postal companies are much better then ours (e.g. 3 days from CONUS vs 6 working days from Sydney. Don't get me started on overnight express:doh:). In the wild west it just makes better sense to buy OS.

Mark

Jules76
14-08-2009, 10:45 PM
You could always have it sent to two seperate addresses. :) I'm pretty sure that would be one of the ways they'd match it.

I'll have to keep that in mind myself if I ever do any big overseas orders. One to work, one to home. And if you wanted say both to go to work, keep track of it and after it leaves customs, give the courier a call to change address. :D

Don Pensack
15-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Just a note that this means OPT has never been caught at it, because declaring a value different than actual is against US law and punishable by a huge fine and possible jail time.
Note: I don't work for the government and I simply don't care what happened, but dealers who ship a lot internationally (my company does) have to be VERY careful on this one.

marki
15-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Don, I don't see how sending two seperate packages at different times could be seen as breaking the law. What if you placed an order and only certain items were available for immeadiate shipping whislt other bits were weeks or months away??? They are all part of the same order, just shipped at different times. It would be the same as imposing a max tax free import total for life of $1000, customs would keep a record and once you went beyond this you would have to pay GST. I think the only problem would occur if the items are deliberately under valued. If the order can be broken into seperate components and the correct value of each item clearly marked I cannot see how this could be a problem.

Mark

PCH
15-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Yep, ditto what Mark said. It's just shipping the items as two 900 buck items with separate invoices, rather than together with a total invoice for $1800. No breaking any laws I would have thought - unless they have some really strange laws over there :P

Zaps
15-08-2009, 02:01 PM
OPT have always been pretty good regards the actual sale. It's when non-Americans need "after sales and service" that they mysteriously forget that you exist, or that there's a world outside the U.S.A.;)

marki
15-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Nothing I have ordered from OS ever needed after sales service and every bit has worked as advertised. If it breaks (not that it ever has in the past 5 years) I am prepared to pay to have it fixed so I don't give a rats about warranty either. What I do care about is paying inflated prices for the same item and vendors who do not keep you informed or answer emails. They will lose my business everytime. Whenever I have had a question about an item I have bought from OPT they have always answered straight away.

Mark

Don Pensack
15-08-2009, 03:27 PM
It isn't the amount that's shipped at one time I was referring to, but stating on an accompanying invoice a value below the true value of the product.

MrB
15-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Ah, but that's not what OPT are doing.
As Paul has said, they are simply splitting a single $1800 sale into two $900 packages. No fudging of numbers there.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up, never heard of OPTcorp before. :thumbsup:

bobson
15-08-2009, 04:35 PM
WOW!! I just checked the price for Pentax 7mm XW and its way cheaper than here!! I will use OPT for ordering thats for sure. I never could understand why would 5mm 10 mmand 14mm XW be cheaper than 7mm XW??? Some people tried to expalin but it never made sense to me since everywhere else in the world 5,7, 10 and 14 mm XW's are selling for the same price.

Thanks for leting us know about this company!

bob

marki
15-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Simon they are great to deal with. When I ordered my laser collimator I was a day late and the new laws governing laser imports had been implimented. Fired an email across and got them to hold it while I sorted out the paperwork this side which after 6 weeks I ended up not needing to do as the collimator was not on the banned list. Emailed them again, got a response within 6 hours and my order was on the plane that same day. I have bought lots of accessories from them and they have always been good. These folks know how to conduct business and customer service is at the top of their list.

Mark

Bassnut
15-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Ive had good dealings with them too, but it pays to ask if what you want is in stock. "2 weeks, tops" gets irritating when it becomes 6 months (and longer).

Brian Watts
15-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I have used OPT several times this year. I usually contact a local supplier first, but mostly find that I get the delivery from California cheaper and quicker than getting stuff up from Sydney.

Recently I emailed an Australian agent about an accessory. Having not received a reply, I ordered from OPT. The item arrived from USA only a day or two after my original email was answered.

By staying under $1000 (and avoiding duty and GST), OPT will always be cheaper than buying locally, even after allowing for freight. And if the item is in stock, delivery will be about 5 days. They even send you an email advising that the order has been dispatched.

Zaps
16-08-2009, 09:45 AM
There are many non-American customers of OPT who can and will say the opposite. OPT are usually excellent from the point of pricing and delivery. But unless you are an American, your chances of receiving any kind of useful service after the sale is often slim. There have been a bunch of threads on CN recently which illustrate that point. Essentially, once OPT have your cash, you no longer exist, unless you are buying more stuff from them. They aren't alone in that attitude. Many other American vendors are no better.

GrahamL
16-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't think thats to uncommon in buisness in general zaps
I always look at customer service as something best to be judged when something goes wrong, how easy was it to get things fixed ?

Thats outside of simple warrenty replacements etc, the extra
service of backing your customer without the sale is something some do and some don't. Os retailers arn't any differant to the ones here imo
you will find those who will go out of there way to make things right
and some who arn't to helpfull, I've experianced both here and o/s .

marki
16-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Zaps, I can only tell you what I have experienced as a customer. Have you personally had an issue with OPT, if so I would love to hear about it. I tend to take most things I read on CN with a grain of salt and that is probably why they have such tight rules relating to comments about vendors.

Mark

spearo
16-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I'll add my 2 cents worth since we're praising companies.
I have had TOP NOTCH, excellent service, price-wise AND service wise
ATS (descent pricing, tp service, answers emails etc)
Andrews (excellent prices, descent service, once replaced a mount immediately, no questions asked. Turns out there was nothing wrong with it... didnt know about locking clutch knobs...i was such an idiot...)
and
OPT (excellent prices and pre sales service and shipping, never had to use after sales i must say)

As far as I can tell you cant go wrong with any of these. Try local especially for items that might require fixing/upgrading etc.

and i only wish I was affiliated with any of these
(let me know if you want to sponsor me HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH)
frank

mbaddah
18-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I had a very similar experience myself when I purchased from them and even raised a thread about it (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28898&highlight=optcorp).

Perhaps I was just unlucky though?

marki
18-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Thats no good. Did they come through in the end or did you cancel and buy elsewhere?

Mark

matt
20-08-2009, 03:32 AM
I have always found OPT to be excellent.

I have spent, and saved, thousands with them....and will no doubt spend thousands more.:thumbsup:

Bloodbean
20-08-2009, 05:56 AM
I just about exclusively use OPT for purchasing now. I've never had any problems with them and have always been pleased with the shipping times. I suppose not everyone is going to have a great experience with them but I highly recommend them. Can't say the same for the OZ and NZ vendors I've dealt with :(

Troy

mbaddah
20-08-2009, 06:11 AM
I proceeded through despite the lack of communication and misinformation. As mentioned though perhaps I was just one of the few unlucky ones, I may still purchase from them some time in future, give them a 2nd chance :)

marki
20-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I would try again as my experience with them has always been excellent. Hope it goes well next time :thumbsup:.

Mark

wavelandscott
21-08-2009, 10:24 AM
While living "down under" I had great service twice and not so great service once from OPT...

If seemed to me that when an item is in stock and ready to go it works well.

If the order required effort beyond the initial "quick hit" (pull it and pack it), my experience was not so great (including a long delay and incorrect pricing).

In all cases I got my goods and was happy 2/3rds of the time...Oh well, nobody is perfect!

While living in the US, all my experiences have been pleasant in dealing with them.

dugnsuz
26-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Count me in under the 'good service' banner from OPT.
Ordered online last Friday - arrived this morning (Wednesday).
Very good
Doug

mickqueensland
27-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi,

I was looking at OPT to buy either a new meade or celestron scope and was told by them that they will not ship these scopes out of the USA due to warranty problems from meade or celestron.

Have others done this anyway? It is a big saving on purchase price and a big saving even after horrendous shipping costs are added (shipping was quoted approx $600)

Cheers
Mick

PCH
27-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi Mick,

well guess what - they're right ;) Celestron and Meade, and probably others as well, have very strict rules regarding shipping scopes into Oz. They have distributors here, and the last thing they want to do is tread on their toes by competing. Their prices are excellent as you say, so you can imagine how choked the resellers here would be if they found that happening.

However, if you're adamant, you could very easily ship one to an address in the USA and have it forwarded from there to you. There are companies that do specifically this type of freight forwarding. Don't forget though, any warranty issues would then be with your supplier, not the local dealer here in Oz. That sort of puts a bit of a dampener on the idea doesn't it :P Not like buying a Canon camera with a (supposedly) worldwide warranty :D

Cheers,