PDA

View Full Version here: : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic

Sarge
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
WOW :D:D:D. Picked up my new 27 mm panotic today. Kept my fingers crossed as the skies cleared in Melbourne. It lived up to its reputation. What an eyepiece! Extremely clear, very little to no coma, beautiful backgrounds and LARGE. 2" barrel and weighing in at 450 g, it towers over all my 1.25" plossols. M7, M8, Lagoon neb, omega cen, jewel box and a host of others - never looked so good. It cost a lot, but I think I'll get more than my monies worth. A truely beautiful eyepiece.

One very happy gazer. This one definately gets many thumbs up.
:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Rod

erick
12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
I think I'm headed down the same path. Testing a kindly loaned at the moment. :thumbsup:

coldspace
12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Rod nothing beats a top quality eyepiece. I have owned many chinese ones but once I could afford to get the Televues I have not looked back.
Its like comparing a old TV from the 70's to one of the new HD panels around now the difference is day and night. The amount of money I have spent n cheap eyepieces was false economy if you choose carefully a few top self ones are all you need.

My 35mm Panoptic always wows me and friends everytime for wide field.

My 13mm Nagler is excellent on globs.planets/moon.

i have just invested in 17mm Ethos and it arrived yesterday so can't wait to try out this weekend.

Good luck with your new 27mm if you care for them they will last a lifetime.

Regards Matt.

dannat
12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
been cloudy here all night -trying to clean & collimate an old pair of binos - nothing but clouds where i am - good luck with the ep

Matt Wastell
28-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi Rod

I am glad to hear how happy you are with the new eyepiece - when I was in Sydney this week I picked one up from Bintel. I have been wanting one for ages!
What scope do you use?
I will be out tomorrow night to give it some air time - but I will also be imaging with my new DMK31 - new toys and not enough time!

leinad
28-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Top eyepiece. Ive only mainly used it on the Coronado PST, and the view is crisp and clear :thumbsup:

erick
28-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Yep, the 27mm is on my future purchase list! Testing went well.

Sarge
28-08-2009, 09:38 PM
The 27 mm Panoptic is my first 2" eyepiece. Size really makes a difference. The larger eyepiece together with the 68 deg AFOV makes this eyepiece stand out in any crowd. The problem now is which medium eyepieice to a get to complememt the TV. I'm thinking of a TV Nagler IV 17 mm which also comes in 2", which in my scope gives 88 mag, or maybe a TV Powermate x2 which will give me 112 mag with the 27 mm. The 17 mm is over $500 and the powermate under $400.

I'm gunna have to start saving real hard for either, but there is always Christmas and and lot of hints!! ;););) Love to get both. :D:D

But anyone thinking of purchasing an excellent quality low power, I strongly recommend the 27 Panopotic.

Rod.

Gallifreyboy
29-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I recently picked up the 27 Panoptic and agree it is a lovely eyepiece. My medium power EP is the Pentax XW14, although it is only 1.25" its FOV is greater than your eye has, its optics are flawless to my eye and it it really is a treat to look through. I would recommend it to anybody.

GrahamL
29-08-2009, 12:44 PM
:thumbsup:Its a great eyepiece Rod very comfortable to use , and if eye relief
is something thats important to you, as peter suggests consider
the 14 xw ..imo.. great views and a very comfortable view that you almost fall into .;)

Matt Wastell
30-08-2009, 07:55 AM
Cool - I have made a good purchase based on the feedback - it missed a run last night but I will share my experience later in the week.

Tamtarn
30-08-2009, 09:51 AM
It sure is a top eyepiece Rod . It was our first premium EP purchase to use with our 12" Dob. We can highly recommend the Nagler 17mm it has a super FOV in the 12" and used with a good filter the contrast and clarity observing nebulae is amazing :thumbsup:

We also have a 10mm and 7mm Pentax XW but must say the 17mm is the favourite.

D&B

MarkN
31-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Well, it could be my eyes but I couldn't bring my 27 Pano to focus in a 10" Bintel Newt; nor can it achieve focus in a 12" LB without either an extension tube or a Paracorr.

Not knocking the EP. Sharp views and the moderate weight makes it a good choice if balance is an issue.

Mark.