PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade LNT

33South
18-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Just wondering, does anyone know how LNT works ? :confuse2:

Chris

Stu
18-10-2005, 08:47 PM
I asked the guy at Astro Optical (Melb) about this because I'm thinking of buying an LX90 8".

For what he said, I think it goes something like this...
The LNT automatically downloads the time (from some nuclear bomb clock satellite) and when you enter where you are, it can roughly caluclate where the first aligment star will be. The rest is up to you.

I think they sold the rights to Celestron who sell it as sky-align or something like that (you know the add: "it's as easy as 1,2,3")

I think that's it anyway.

Hitchhiker
18-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Just had a quick look at the manual and a couple of websites (plus the LX200GPS works in a similar way)

LNT stands for Level North Technology.

The LNT module contains a sensor that detects the tilt of the mount, and a magnetic sensor that can determine North.

Initially you have to set the correct time and your location. The LNT remembers the time just like the clock in a PC.

When you start the LNT it checks the tilt of the mount and determines where North is. You then align on a couple of stars and that's it. You can then use the GoTo facility to find any object.

You can download the manual from the Meade website - go to Customer Support from the Meade home page. The manual is just over 1 MB.

Hope this helps!

33South
19-10-2005, 07:17 AM
You wont regret it unless you get aperture fever.
Without spending more money the date/time is not automatically loaded, although once set it is kept ticking over.

Thanks this was the sort of thing I was wondering about, I would assume anything more detailed is filed under strictly confidential.

From my experience the LNT is only marginally usefully, and if you have a compass, bubble level and clock you can do the job quicker yourself.
Although not having to enter the date/time each session is quite nice.

Librarian64
19-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I have a LX90 8" and am more than happy with it. I tend to use the 2 star alignment which kinda bypasses LNT methinks. I do a fairly rough level/north myself which works well enough.

rumples riot
19-10-2005, 11:54 AM
The LNT scopes are the downgraded LX200. Not as many features but with more features than the standard LX series. Although I would recommend getting an LX200 or the celestron equal. Mainly because the features that are available and ease of setup. Besides watch the chicken dance is cool. People wonder what the hell is going on.

acropolite
19-10-2005, 12:53 PM
The LNT simply levels the OTA and finds north, a job it does reasonably well as long as there are no metal surfaces nearby to distort the earths magnetic field. It also keeps fairly accurate time once set from the handbox. The red dot finder works nicely but is fragile and dews up very quickly. All up LNT/Red dot finder is just another gimmick and I'd rather have mirror lock or some other more useful feature. I'm sure that for the cost of the LNT/Red dot finder they could include an inbuilt dew heater....

33South
19-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I agree its an essential most places, certainly up here at 900 meters.
Mmmmm.... dew heater :cold:

Stu
20-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Ah yes! I remember the bit about the leveling now...

I the moral of the story is, if you are trying to sell me a new scope, don't worry too much about getting the details right because it's probaby going in one ear and out the other, and I'll probably end up buying the scope anyway.

LNT, CRA, TAB...

acropolite
20-10-2005, 10:08 PM
What ever you do don't be fooled by the cries of the dobber hoards...:poke: I have an LX90 and I love it, no way I would change it for a dob (well maybe a large Obsession)...:D

rumples riot
20-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Not even that!!

33South
21-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Dont believe everything you read, you must buy a DOB.

Stu
22-10-2005, 10:27 PM
What? Don't believe that I must by a dob? :lol: