PDA

View Full Version here: : SW675 SkyWatcher 70mm Refractor

Jimmy
11-01-2005, 11:13 PM
There is another refractor I might purchase which seems reasonably priced... here is the information and a picture. It's from astronomy online.

SkyWatcher 70mm refractor telescope bundled with redlight torch and Moonwatch pack. The refractor telescope is perfect for astronomy and has a 70mm objective lens diameter with 900mm focal length and 31.7mm focuser. Features F/13 ratio, 5x24 finderscope, equatorial mount with aluminium tripod. Includes SR4mm, H12.5mm and H20mm eyepieces and 3x Barlow. The redlight torch helps to see maps and charts without disturbing your night vision. The Philip Moonwatch pack includes Moon Observer's Guide valued at $29.95, detailed moon map and poster. Total value $399.95 for $299.00.

SPECIFICATIONS
Objective lens (primary mirror) 70mm
Focal length 900mm
Focal Ratio F/13 ratio
Type Acromatic Refractor
Eyepieces SR4, H12.5, H20, 3x Barlow, Star diagonal
Mount Type Equatorial EQ1
Light Gathering Power Highest Practical power 165x
Finderscope 5 x 24
Resolving Power / Limiting Magnitude 165x / 11.9
Optical Tube size / weight 8 x 91 cm
Motor Drive / Controller EQ1 Drive
Tripod Type Aluminium - 71-123cm
Accessories Accessory Tray, star diagonal, 3x barlow

Is this good value???? Is skywatcher a good brand? Will this satisfy a person serious about astronomy?

Sorry for so many questions guys!! But Im being serious about persuing my interest.

THanks again!

iceman
12-01-2005, 06:19 AM
Personally, I wouldn't go for a scope like that.

You seem serious in your intent to get into this hobby seriously - that means you need a scope that is going to last you. The refractors you're posting just won't last you beyond your initial learning curve.. you'll immediately be wanting something bigger with more light-gathering capability to catch the faint details on the planets and moon, and start your DSO hunting.

Here's a couple of reasons I woudn't get it:
1. The tripod and mount on that thing is very small and flimsy, it will shake and wobble about every time you touch it.
2. The eyepieces it comes with are close to junk. The 4mm is junk and you'd have to throw it in the bin.
3. The finderscope is tiny.
4. The moon pack is "ok", but you can get just as good, if not better, information through many resources and software available on the internet (for free).
5. A 70mm lens doesn't give you much light gathering power. Your DSO hunting will be very limited to the very bright stuff, and you won't have much resolving power on the planets - they'll appear mostly featureless, and the chromatic abberation you'll get from a cheaper lens like that will ruin a lot of views of bright stars.

Check your "refractor vs reflector" thread again - there's 22 good reasons in there that should go for a reflector rather than a refractor - especially since you say yourself:

The answer is no, for the scope above. For the 6 or 8" dobs, the answer is yes.

The scope above is better than the $60 ebay refractors, but it's still not worth spending $300 on.

Hope that helps.

ving
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I started with an ebay $60 refractor and upgraded after a month. I was still amazed by what i could see in the lil' 60mm but there are definite limits.
maybe a good set of large binoculars is what you are after since you do terestrial viewing too. you will get good moon views and see ... er where the planets are etc... you will see some brighter dsos too like tuc47 and m42.

Jimmy
12-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I think Ill go with the 8" DOB. I have a good set of 7x50 Nikkon Bino's that I have been using to spot constellations and look at the moon.... thanks for all this guys I really appreciate it!

:eyepop:

All this is so confusing! But I have been reading allot and have been getting great advice from experienced users.

Thanks allot once again...

James

P.S This is a fantastic forum, the best I've ever been on.

ving
12-01-2005, 02:42 PM
aw shucks:ashamed:

Jimmy
12-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Grouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

It's Official, I'm Going with the 8" DOB!!!!!!!!!!!

THanks All!!!!!!!!!!!!

[1ponders]
12-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Glad you've found what you we're hoping for. Non-biased advice :D I agree totally with Ice about the Mount (its the same one by the look of it as one of your other photos). Though the little 70mm refractor would make a great guidescope when you upgrade to an LX 200 or even one of the new RC400 :D :D :P

mch62
13-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Did some one mention 70mm guide scope.
I still have my 70mm although it is now on my newtonian , I just can't bare to part with it , plus I wouldn't get much for it any way.
It has been riding on top of 4 scopes now.
The original mount which I think was an EQ1 has long gone, and was , lets say limited.
Even though it's white it is the same tube.

The 8"f6 dob should be a good scope if it is of similar quality as the 12" by GSO
At f6 it will be easier to adjust and hopefully will have a resonably small diagonal for planetary contrast.
Good luck and clear skies.

Hey Ice I will correct you on the amount of chromatic colour of this Synta lens .
It is , don't forget f13 and the fringing colour that I get is very little , and only at unresonable high power does it become noticable. It is however due to it's 70mm aperature limited in resolving power.
You would have to chuck the finder as it has a plastic objective lens and is to small to be of much use.

Mark

Striker
13-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I myself was looking at the skywatcher range aswell.......once I had a chance to look at the quality specialy the mount I said no......the slightest breeze would have annoyed me to the max.....

I was looking at the Sky Watcher 10" Reflector and the 5" refractor's on the EQ5 mounts.....I touched the scope and it just kept on wabbling....

mch62
13-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Striker put either of thoses tube assemble on either the HEQ5 or EQ6 and you would have a good stable package, but I would favour a GSO reflector tube over the Synta.
The refractors are not to bad , it's just the colour at f8 and 9's is bothersome. I had a MV-20 filter but didn't like the colour it induced . Now if it was f15 that would introduce a whole nother problem , how the hell do you mount an f15 .