PDA

View Full Version here: : Stolen Takahashi FS128 OTA

starfinder
28-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Dear Forum members. An alert.

I've just returned from a two week holiday in China to find my beloved Tak FS128 OTA stolen. It has a number of distinguishing features, such as field rotator, a retrofitted Feather Touch microfocusser and a fair number of badly matched retouched (and unretouched) paint chips on the tube. The 50mm finderscope at the objective end has a piece of black tape installed under the three conical adjustment screws to minimise scratching. It was stored in a black plastic transporter with small wheels at one end.

I have the serial number recorded somewhere, but it is not currently to hand.

Please be on the lookout for any offers of a secondhand unit that might fit this description.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Russ

iceman
28-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Very sorry to hear that, Russ.

I hope it finds its way back to you.

jjjnettie
28-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I'll keep an eye out up here Russ.
So sorry to hear about this. My condolences.
I hope they catch the dogs that did this.

DavidU
28-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Thats awefull ! what suburb was it stolen from?

telecasterguru
28-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Will be on the lookout.

Omaroo
28-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh crap! :doh::mad2: :sadeyes:

I'll keep an eye out here too. If you can supply the serial number at least it'll be public. Anyone buying Tak will know that the serial number is stamped into a stainless steel plate along with the model name, focal length, aperture and Tak logo - and this is rivetted or screwed to the focuser assembly opposite the finder bracket. If you see a scope without the plate or an obviously altered plate - well it's probably stolen.

I've just deleted my list of gear from my signature as well. I thought about it and it's an easy way for thieves to know who to hit.

I hope you find it Russ - that's pretty damn low.

Lumen Miner
28-07-2009, 12:43 PM
If I see any Tak FS128 OTA's on Ebay for cheap, I'll let you know.

koputai
28-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Would the plate still be there if the focuser has been changed, as in the case above?

Cheers,
Jason.

Omaroo
28-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes Jason - the microfocuser is just a replacement for the pinion and shaft with a 10:1 unit. The main bulk of the focuser stays.

You can see one here on JohnG's Tak:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/attachment_browse.php?a=61075

hotspur
28-07-2009, 03:42 PM
This is very serious,and what a feeling the poor fellow would off had when he got home from China.

I would image all members of this site would Know if they see if they see

it for sale,

I do believe there is a good chance of it returning to owner,some thing

like this once happened in a "collectors club" i am in,and the theiff

tried to sell the rare and unusal item to another member in another state,and was caught out!

This situation is really no different,the only thing is it could go overseas

best to alert major asto clubs/forums in other countries,i really do hope

you get it back,police are pretty good in matters like this because they

know that a speciality item has limited market sell points for a theiff

i hope they catch the barstard!

leon
28-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Gee Russ that is so low, and the mongrels wouldn't know what to do with it and sell it for a few dollars to enhance their habits no doubt.

Man I would be so pissed if some one mishandled my Tak and astro stuff, thinking of you mate, hope they catch the buggers.

leon

Rhino1980
28-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Too bad we don't take the arm of a theif over here... Hope you get it back mate, all the best!

g__day
28-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Good luck at a speedy recover Russ. Was it stolen from home or secured storage? Hope its recovered and insurance steps in too. Wasn anything else taken or do the police think its a targeted theft?

renormalised
28-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Hope you get it back, Russ, and the lowlife who stole it gets more than a slap on the wrist.

picklesrules
28-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Bloody Mongrels Ill keep a look out for ya
hope the pigs that stole it are jailed

Matty P
28-07-2009, 11:42 PM
That's awful news Russ.... Will keep a look out and I hope the culprit is caught and your scope is returned safely.

dpastern
29-07-2009, 07:10 AM
I'll echo Jeanette's comments. I'm hoping it finds it's way back to you. Have you reported it stolen to the police? If not, do so. Go and check out the local pawn shops as well, despite the so called need for ID, etc, it doesn't stop them from on selling what they know are stolen goods imho.

Good luck!

Dave

dpastern
29-07-2009, 07:14 AM
I've suggested similar ideas before - first offence, warning. 2nd offence, lose a finger. 3rd offence, another finger. 4th offence, lose a hand. Rinse and repeat for the other hand. Oh, and introduce legislation so that the mongrels are not able to claim disability support pension as the result of their health issues are from [a] crime(s). Might take a few years, but I guarantee that crime rates would drop dramatically.

But then, I'm old fashioned and believe that bottlers should be legally closed by 10pm, with bars, clubs etc closed at 11pm. That's a reasonable time frame for people to get drinks etc. Crime was not rampant back in the 60s like it is today - alcohol is too freely available imho. Alcohol leads to other drugs and habits, which leads to crime, including thefts like this.

Dave

IanL
29-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Sorry to hear about this Russ. Will keep the eyes peeled on the net. May be worth having a look in local shops like cash converters and the likes.

Ian
Brisbane.

Omaroo
29-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Russs - having the serial number handy would be beneficial.

CoombellKid
29-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear that, what a horrible end to what would of been an
amazing trip. I'll keep my eyes pealed as well. Lets us know the serial
number when you find it.

And like Chris, it is why I never have list my gear in my signature. Yup
I know I have my Long-Lat in my signature... as of last week you will
be about 50kms off target.

Hope you get it back!!!

Cheers,CS

netwolf
29-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry to hear about that, i hope you recover it. I agree with Chris and Rob, in this age of technology its much more easier for us to become targets. We have google maps that can see down to the street level oh our homes. We have online forums where our conversations our public record, like going away on holidays and what equipment we own or use. We share our images with details of the equipment we used.

But as with all things there are vices and virtures, and unfortunately there are people out there who would use them as vices. But i do still think the online community does offer much more virtures. And I hope that it will be the virtues of our community that will see your scope back in your hands.

Regards
Fahim

PCH
29-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Interesting too that many of us advertise what our gear is worth in the "What's your equipment worth?" sticky.

stephenb
29-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I hope you get it back, Russ.

100% agree, Fahim. Advertising your Lat/Long for your home address is dangerous.

ditto, Paul.

Has IIS thought about a warning on the Lat/Long entry page to cover themselves? I, personally think you're mad if you tell the world where you live, right down to the street number, dangerous, dangerous, dangerous!

hotspur
29-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I agree with Chris,i have removed my item list,and my co-ordinates

are where i set my last dingo trap,I agree with net wolf there are vices

and vitures with all technology.

I hope you have good news re uniting with your scope.

Regards Chris

DavidU
29-07-2009, 09:19 PM
My co ordinates should be the Knox Police station

BerrieK
29-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Rotten buggers, awful news.

Hope you can get your gear back and that it is not damaged in the mean time.

Kerrie