PDA

View Full Version here: : Needing a recommendation for a meade service

pmrid
27-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm in need of some professional service on a mMeade LXD55/75 mount. I'd like to be able to take it to someone in/around Brisbane. Problems seem to be with the gears for the RA axis - it stutters its way around a slew rather than moves smoothly so I'm assuming a serious misalignment somewhere. That plus there seems to be an inodeinate amount of backlash in both axes. Be glad of suggestions.
thanks
Peter

Gama
27-07-2009, 04:41 PM
What power supply you using ?.

Possible release the clutch, so it rotates by itself, then slew again. If its easier, then there may be a issue with friction some how.

Theo

pmrid
28-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Hi Theo. Using plenty of grunt a 5 Amp power supply so I don't think under-powering is the issue - and this seems to be borne out by the clean and smooth slews in Dec. It's just the RA stat stutters and staggers along.
I've opened the little windows into the gears and there is a degree of slop in the mesh in both sets of gears that would be producing quite a bit of backlash but that's another issue I think. My problem is I can't find anywhere a guide to how to open up the LXD mounts so as to get to the adjustments for the worm drive. Any ideas?
Peter

Rodstar
28-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi Peter,

I know you said you wanted someone in Brisbane, but if you are prepared to travel further afield, Don Whiteman at Bintel in Sydney is accredited by Meade to repair their scopes. He did a great job doing an overhaul to my LX200 a few years back - as good as new!