PDA

View Full Version here: : mould and my LX200

FarmerBen
20-07-2009, 09:17 PM
It's been a month or so since I had my scope out (combination of inclement weather and insufficient time) but when I pulled the cover off the main tube I noticed the first signs of mould on the front glass. If it's there then it's in other areas as well.
I've fairly good at keeping things clean and dry but with QLD weather, it seems the mould is catching up with me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for mould removal/prevention from the sensitive areas of telescopes?

Cheers,
Ben.

DavidU
20-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Expose the area to direct sunlight pronto ! This will help kill the spores.
It will have to be cleaned & treated ASAP as the fungus can etch coatings & glass.

Merlin66
20-07-2009, 10:50 PM
You may be lucky and its only affected the front surface of the corrector..
If not removed it can damage the coatings etc. Blow off any dust etc and gently wipe the surface with a cotton ball dampened with isopropyl alcohol; gently wipe clean with either a new cotton ball or some kitchen paper towelling ( the "plain" stuff, no additives!) , this should work.

FarmerBen
21-07-2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks, both of you. I'll get onto it immediately!
Cheers,
Ben.

FarmerBen
22-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I have managed to remove the mould and it has only very slightly marked the coating on the external face of the glass. I've had the tube out in the sun for several hours and will do so again on the weekend. Hopefully this will be the end of the mould.

I guess, being in humid Qld, this is something I'm going to keep on top of.

thanks again!

dannat
22-07-2009, 08:20 PM
buy lots of dessicant to store with the scope

AdrianF
23-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Where do you buy dessicant in OZ? I have spoken to some companies and they only sell in bulk (5kgs+) and I only want to put some in the scope case and EP case not in every nook and cranny in the house.
Did buy some off eBay once but it was definately 2nd hand and it probably had more moisture in the bag than in the case.

Adrian

mdgodf
23-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Professional type photogrophy shops should sell smaller bags...don't know what there is in Roma though:shrug:

FarmerBen
26-04-2010, 01:32 PM
In a continuing disaster story, I now have mould on the inside of the front glass of my LX200. I have had the tube out in the sun (what little we've had of it trying to kill it off) but now my task is cleaning the front glass. I would dearly love some advice on dis-assembly and reassembly of this part of the scope from the knowledgeable types here.