PDA

View Full Version here: : Eqmod setup

kon1966
16-07-2009, 06:29 AM
I want to use eqmod on my heq5 pro mount. I have used the to control via the celestron 5i, ascom, using cable to autoguider and to synscan but I just want to cut down on cables.

Since my new laptop does not have a comm port (Sh#*), what do I need to connect eqmod to the synscan hand controller. Do I need the eqdirect hardware unit.

So Pc USB -> eqdirect unit-> synscan controller, is this correct.

Regards
Kon

peter_4059
16-07-2009, 06:39 AM
To do it that way I think you need USB->USB/Serial converter->Hand controller->mount

Alternately you can go USB->USB/Serial converter->EQdirect->mount

Or USB->USB/Serial TTL cable->mount

heres where you can get the cable if you go for the last option:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ftdi-usb-to-serial-ttl-level-5v-converter-cable.html

You'll need to change the plug on the end to an RJ45 connector to suit the HEQ5.

wysiwyg
16-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Kon,

As mentioned by Peter you will need a USB to Serial adapter, but remember that they are all not the same and some will not work with EQMOD. They must have the FTDI chipset in them to function.

Another suggestion is to join the EQMOD Yahoo group, you can download the latest version there as well as get detailed installation instructions etc. EQMOD can easily be setup with various planetarium software like Cartez and The Sky 6.

You will need the latest ASCOM drivers, I think its up to version 5 now.

If you have the Shoestring EQMOD module, you wont need your Synscan Hand Controller any longer, as you can control the mount via EQMOD and your planetarium software alone.
You can also purchase a Logitec Rumble Pad II ($60AU) and control your mount cordless, the game pad just takes on som simple functions likeslew speed, slew direction and other user defined functions that you can define in the EQMOD software.

I have been using the EQMOD with my EQ6 for quite some time now, and I have never looked back at the Hand Controller, you will find that pointing accuracy will increase dramatically, to the point where I dont even need a finders scope now.

Good, luck as its a great toll and will certainly improve your imaging.

Let me know if you have nay further questions.

Cheers
Mark

kon1966
16-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks Mark,

I have the shoestring GPUSB unit and have downloaded all the drivers. So for my new laptop (no comm port) would be..

USB Port ->USB to Serial (FTDI Compatible) -> eqdirect unit -> heq5 autoguide port.

For the cable from the eqdirect unit to the autoguide port, what cables are available.

TheDecepticon
16-07-2009, 11:14 AM
There is no cable from the EQDIR to the auto guide port. If you want to use EQMOD to guide your mount, you need to select pulse guiding in the properties applet when you select the EQMOD driver in your planetarium software or in your guide software, whichever you use/choose first. This will then do away with one cable. Personally, I have gone back to ST4 type guiding and a GPUSB, I prefer it, but I think there is more options with pulse guiding. I also suggest you go to the EQMOD(EQASCOM) site and read the instruction manual, which will be very beneficial. It is an excellent software package and the Yahoo group is very informative and supportive, I suggest you join, even just to search through the older posts which give plenty of answers. Pity you didn't get this level of support with software that you pay for!!:eyepop:

kon1966
16-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi TheDecepticon,
on a heq5, the autoguider port is a rj port not a comm port like on a heq6.
I am waiting for acceptance to the yahoo group but that has not come through yet.

So, if you had a synscan heq5 pro mount and a laptop with no comm port, only USB, what would you need in terms of hardware only for EQmod to work. I have all the software downloaded.
Regards
Kon

toryglen-boy
16-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Kon, the autoguider port on the HEQ5 Pro is exactly the same as the EQ6, i used the Orion SSAG on both mounts, and both are an RJ11 style fitting. The EQ6 has a RS232 type port only for the hand controller, but even this has the RJ port at the bottom of the controller.

:)

kon1966
16-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Ooppss,

thanks Duncan, my mistake.

toryglen-boy
16-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Thats ok fella, hope your happy with the mount, and its working out for you

:thumbsup:

kon1966
16-07-2009, 12:52 PM
It is all good..and cold...Brrrr...

So to move away from st4 gpusb and use eqmod, what hardware components do I need with no comm port on my laptop..anyone..anyone...anyone..Be uler...

Regards
Kon

Matty P
16-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Kon,

To use EQMOD with a no comm port on your laptop. You will just need a USB to Serial cable. The EQDIR module replaces the Hand Controller and the GPUSB. So there will be only one cable from the computer to the mount.

Hope this helps. :)

kon1966
16-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Matt,
so I need to buy..

USB to Serial
EQDIR unit

So what cable do I need to connect from the EQDIR to the heq5 pro mount?? Does it plug into the synscan controller port or the autoguider port.

regards
Kon

Matty P
16-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Kon,

You don't need any cables to connect the EQDIR to the HEQ5. The EQDIR connects directly to the mount via the hand controller port. All you need then is a serial cable to go from the EQDIR to your USB to Serial cable on your laptop.

So you will need an EQDIR module, a USB to Serial cable, and a serial cable (length is up to you).

kon1966
16-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Think I have it now....
usb to serial
Eqdir and finally...
A heq5 cable for eqdir..Or a Serial to rj45. See link below..

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Shoestring.asp?s=2b8a73b1-dde1-479c-85c4-e9292b6d2cda&p=0_10_5_0_5_62

Thanks all..

Matty P
16-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes you are correct Kon. Sorry I thought the HEQ5 was similar to the EQ6. As EQ6's have serial ports for the HC port. :doh:

kon1966
16-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks all,

got some buying to do...

regards

peter_4059
16-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Kon,

You will find it is lower cost and neater to get the FTDI USB-Serial TTL cable. (I posted a link to Dontronics in Melbourne who srell them). Then you connect the computer direct to the mount (no USB serial adaptor and no EQDIR from shoestring).

Peter

allan gould
16-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Kon,
I use the exact same system on my HEQ5/6-Pro as Peter_4059 - I now use it exclusively as I saw how good it was on his system with a game pad controller and guiding thru one cable using pulseguiding. I wouldnt go back to using anything else. Far better system than using the hand controller and a USB-serial converter.

Moon
16-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I agree. No offence to Mr Shoestring, but these days, this is the way to go. It's nice and neat and 100% reliable.

TheDecepticon
16-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Glad your getting on top of it. I run everything from an AC powered 7 port hub which runs one active USB2 cable back to the PC, with a focuser cable(haven't got a focus set up yet) and a power supply to my trolley. I run a 1.5m High Speed USB2 cable from the hub>serial to USB>EQDIR>mount. I then run my GPUSB from the same hub to the guide port. I know mine is an EQ6, but hope some of this helps.:)

kon1966
16-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks to all...
I will look at all options...

regards
Kon

wysiwyg
16-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Peter,

This cable sounds like a good piece of kit, I use a USB/Serial converter from them which has these annoying blue lights.
I covered them up so i could barely see them, but it provides a visual feedback that the mount is tracking etc.
Assume you have to buy a RS232 Connecter and solder the wires your self, do you know what the pin configurations are?

I could always solder in a Red LED for confirmation.

Cheers
Mark

peter_4059
16-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Mark,

Here's a link to the EQMOD site that explains the pin connections for the HEQ5 and EQ6

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirect2.htm

It's at the bottom of the page under EQDIRECT-USB

Peter

kon1966
17-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Had a thought but it could be ambitious.

You can buy a usb to rj45 female converter which is available from any electronic store. It is a solid plastic unit. Since the synscan cable is rj45, can you use a standard ethernet cable from the converter to the rj45 port on the mount. Or is it pin specific for it to work.

regards
Kon

peter_4059
17-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Its a different serial protocol - the common USB-serial adaptor is not the same as a USB-Serial TTL.

wysiwyg
18-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks Peter :thumbsup: