PDA

View Full Version here: : Would you drill through your DOB?

Marclau
06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Wondering if it would be useful to drill into the 12" dob and insert handles into the tube thus adding more mobility?

Or is this a NO NO !!!??

gbeal
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM
No reason why not, but with the added caution of resale, and swarth damage.
I would reinforce the inside as well, in case you "ripple" the tube.
Gary

leon
06-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Yep go for it it is no big deal, but do it with the scope facing down, then any metal bits will fall out the opening.

It is safe and has been done many times.

Leon

Marclau
06-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys and good point Leon.......very good in fact. although i dont have the scope just yet, i'm still adding up all the pro's of the scope.

I have never ever taken so long to decide on something. Normally, a week max of research and away i go, but with the scope, it's taken over 3 months and even some more...........then when I have finally decided, (8") the aperture bug hits.......then my mind was on the 10" etc etc........if I keep this up, in another 3 months of dreaming, I'll be up to a 22" hahahaha

erick
06-07-2009, 01:24 PM
No problem drilling - but, before you do, search around for ideas. I have seen people come up with carry straps that sling around the OTA.

Sentinel
06-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Procedure for drilling holes in telescopes.

a) Check hole position and measurements.
b) Do not rush, check hole position and measurements again.
c) Now that you are sure....check hole position and measurements.
d) Drill hole, only when you sure of hole position and measurements.

Ask for a second opinion. Never hurts to have someone else to check that you are doing the right thing.

There is no recycle bin or undo function when drilling holes in telescopes.

Marclau
06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah thanks.
I like the idea of the straps though and seen a few of the member fotos with these around their dobs.........

I also think a small grip or handle at the top of the tube would be good thus making alignment easier.....ummmm

mozzie
06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
hi marcel ive drilled through mine i added a telrad to the top of my collapsible dob moved the finder over a bit then drilled the telrad base also drilled for a counter wieght system with some of my meade weights near the primary mirror while drilling around secondary mirror i face the scope down and put the dust cover over the primary take no chances while drilling near the primary i just removed it only six screws made a mark to place back in right position take your time measure twice
mozzie

barx1963
06-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I've just added a handle about 1/4 of the diameter of the tube below the focuser to assist with moving the tube. All went OK, I made sure the tube was facing down and held a thick wad of cloth behind where I was drilling to catch any bits of metal etc that might fly out. I would also drill VERY slowly as the drill bit may catch on the cloth and send it rip it out of your grip, potentially hitting either secondary or worse the main mirror.
I only did this mod on Sunday, used it that night and worked really well!

kinetic
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Maybe one more suggestion:

Try not to drop tools accidentally down the inside of
the OTA :)
It makes a noise.....I don't want to talk about it!

Steve

DavidU
06-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Just make sure you paint any internal nuts/bolts/washers flat black to stop any reflections.

astronut
07-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Marcel,
Go for it!!!!
Like the others here, I've (timidly) at first drilled a hole to add a handle for moving the scope on its mount.
Later on I moved the spider vane position within the tube, so that I could add a filter slide into the UTA.
Go carefully and treat any bare metal, to keep rust at bay.:thumbsup:

Glenhuon
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
My standard procedure for drilling holes in OTA's
Measure hole positions, check measurements (at least 2 times). Stuff bath towel down tube clear of drilling area. Is drilling near secondary ?, wrap it in something. Place tube as far below horizontal as possible, drill holes and attach fitting. Paint nuts etc inside tube flat black. Vacuum out any cuttings inside tube. Remove towel and secondary cover. All done. :)

Bill

Starkler
07-07-2009, 05:52 PM
I have a handle on my OTA for the 10 inch dob.

It consists of a 3 metre luggage strap going twice around the tube, once each side of the alt bearings and running through a piece of conduit to form a handle. No holes! ;)