PDA

View Full Version here: : Hauling my G11 around

multiweb
29-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Been thinking about it for a while but it's bloody heavy even on its own without the counterweight shaft. I'm thinking of a "padded" steel or Aluminium case. Anybody doing this already. Maybe already just for storage? Is even normal foam dense enough to hold shape? We're not talking about eye pieces here. I reckon a good 10-15kg? Any pointers much appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

RB
29-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Marc I use Pelican cases for both my EM200 and EM400, the foam holds the mounts perfectly and the built in wheels and extending handles are perfect to move the cases around (like airport luggage).

:thumbsup:

AlexN
29-06-2009, 07:27 PM
If it makes it easier Marc, I'll take your G11, you can carry the much lighter EQ6 around everywhere you go!! :P

In all seriousness, Andrews got it nailed.. I've seen people lugging G11's around in Pelican cases... Seems MUCH easier than trying to manhandle it..

Omaroo
29-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Go down to Jaycar Marc and have a look at the ABS Roadies Case (HB-6379). I use one of these to lug my G11 EQ head around in. You need to remove a couple of the supplied foam blocks to make room, but it's very sturdy and works well. The foam is very heavy duty closed-cell. Much cheaper than the Pelikan. The G11 EQ head is 17+ kilos.

$80

Bassnut
29-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Geez, your such a wooz Marc :lol:. Ahh, the french....... say no more :whistle:.

multiweb
29-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks Andrew - I'll check it out.

EQ what? :rofl::rofl:

Thanks Chris. I'll check Jaycar too.

Mate,, that's to protect it. It's in the back seat of my car right now. Not ideal. I have more important business back there than driving a G11 around... say no more :whistle:

Octane
29-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Marc.

My G-11 is in the boot at the moment and is padded by one of Geoff's Hepworths' freezer suits for protection. :lol:

Chris, those cases sound like the perfect solution. Will get one this week. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Humayun

rsbfoto
30-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi,

While I was mobile I packed my G11 into a pelican case model 1550, if I remember well.

Look here http://rainerehlert.com/astro/G11pack.jpg I had to take off the motors but I guess the new one model 1560 is high enough to get it into it without taking off the motors.

Do not forget the head weighs about 19 kg and the carrying handle should take it ...

There is no better case then the pelicans ... ;)

Omaroo
30-06-2009, 10:51 AM
At $300-$400, depending where you buy it, it's a bit rich I would have thought.... :shrug: The $80 roadies case is perfecly adequate I've found. Its handle has been plenty strong enough, and unless you intend to ship the head around via Australia Post or some uncaring courier I'm not sure the Pelican is good enough value.

RB
30-06-2009, 11:18 AM
It depends on how much value an individual places on protecting their expensive gear.
It may well suit to use an $80 case and that's fine.

Personally I prefer to use a Pelican case to protect my gear and because of my bad back, need the extras like coasters and extending handle, which make it easy to move such heavy equipment around.

At the end of the day, it's whatever suits your application better and what you're willing to pay for the level of quality your getting.

:)

Omaroo
30-06-2009, 11:23 AM
A perfectly fair statement Andrew! :)

multiweb
30-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah I hear Andrew then I go to the Pelican website and WOW! :eyepop: so obviously I hear Chris again going to the Jaycar site :whistle: but then the G11 head alone is work a couple of Ks so that's right. Got to keep in mind what you're trying to protect. Hmmm... got some thinking to do. ;) The case is a no brainer , it's just getting the finance pass the mrs... actually I have my 17th wedding anniversary coming on the July new moon week-end. So technically I'm taking/cancelling off a "new moon week-end". I can then go and buy a very expensive "picnic basket". Is that a good angle? :confuse3:

tlgerdes
30-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Even easier, get her to buy it for you for a 17th wedding anniversary present. :love2:

Zaps
30-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Storm brand cases are really nice too.

RB
30-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Agreed, I prefer the Storm cases over the Pelican for my smaller needs like eyepieces and camera gear.
They are a very nice case indeed.

:thumbsup:

Geoff45
30-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi Marc
Just make a wooden box for the head with scrap timber and buy some foam from Clark rubber. For the tripod, get a Bunnings big galvanised iron toolbox. See me next Wiruna weekend and you can have a look at what I did for my G8