PDA

View Full Version here: : Another new arrival

stephenb
26-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Must be something in the water? Another new arrival here today. I picked up my brand spankin' new Meade LX90 8" from BinTel. Spent the afternoon unpacking it and setting it up in the library (which is just a spare room full of books, really). Not too sure about the Meade's Smartfinder. I miss the Telrad so I might put one on instead.

I'm very impressed with the weight, especially coming down from an LX200 10", this size is far more managable and it fits in the boot of the car with room to spare.

Next on the list is a soft case instead of the traditional hard carry case, from Sirius Technologies: http://www.siriustech.com/siriustech_DFB122590.htm. My theory is that I can always slip this softcase into a custom made hard case and have the best of both worlds.

Aiming at first light over the weekend with some planetary images.

Robert9
26-06-2009, 07:04 PM
That looks lovely Stephen. Did you get the ACF model?
What does the "Smartfinder" do? I've put a right angle finder on my 6SE. The red-dot was just too awkward for my aging back.
Clear skies.
Robert

stephenb
26-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Robert, The Smartfinder is just a Meade red dot finder. It's not that good. A Telrad will be a lot better. Yeah it is the ACF latest model.

Did a quick first light with the Moon and a few bright stars but it clouded over almost as soon as I set up.:(

I picked up a Bahtinov mask also from BinTel and I love it already.

Hagar
26-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Good one Stephen, You should have a bit of fun with this new arrival ? Boy or girl ? Birth weight a bit less than a 10" but eyes not quite as big but blue I see.

Hope you enjoy and the skies clear for you. I'll be working night shift so they probably will clear.

mental4astro
26-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Gee, what a cute batch of babies, :D:rofl::thumbsup:.

Must have been very cloudy nine months ago...

netwolf
26-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Congrats on your downgrade, I must say the one scope i will miss always is the LX90, quick and easy to setup and get going and very portable.

Marclau
27-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Damn, whats in the water........?? I got to get me some......

That looks so good...............cant wait to walk in the Bintel Maternity Ward soon myself..........

dcalleja
27-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Well done. I had an Lx90 for a while - its a great scope

stephenb
28-06-2009, 02:20 PM
As a neat freak, one thing I can't stand is messy cables all over the scope; dew heater cables, power cables, all sot of curly cord cables. My mission with this scope is to create some chaotic order to the cables, including that power cable into the side of the fork.