PDA

View Full Version here: : It's here! ..... and first light!

barx1963
25-06-2009, 11:10 PM
The slightly overweight baby has arrived. 12" GSO Dob arrived this afternoon. After a few hours at work being very impatient to get home, I arrived home to unpack and start assembly.
Attached photos show the box, how it was packed, the OTA and final assembly.
One point with these scopes, not for complete newbies. The instructions bear only a passing resemblence to the supplied scope. The azimuth bearing is competely different to the pictures in the instructions and the altitude bearings now have the undjustable tension which is again very different to the instructions. Luckily I had seen a couple of these scope assembled so I had a fair idea how it was supposed to look, but if I was a complete novice, I would probably still be trying to figure it out!
Anyhoo, once it was put together it did the worlds roughest collimation:whistle: grabbed it a went outside. This is one heavy beast! definitely need to buy a trolley to assist with moving the OTA.
Contrary to all tradition and expectations, the night was clear, so I have so far knocked off Omega Cent, Eta Car, Jewell Box, M4, M7, M6, M17 and M16. Did get a bit of cloud drift by for 40 mins or so, so that will have to do as far as the New Scope Curse goes. Still need to get the collimation just right, get some dew protection and a few other things but overall very happy.

Screwdriverone
25-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi Malcolm,

Congrats on the water heater.....Oops I mean scope.

Good to see you also got the Anti Aircraft Laser aligned and powered up as shown in Picture 4.

Have fun!

Cheers

Chris

barx1963
26-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Anti Aircraft Laser! LOL!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hadn't noticed that. Wondered why all the aircraft and satellites were falling from the sky!!!

Omaroo
26-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Good on you Malcolm. Enjoy your new baby! :thumbsup:

White Rabbit
26-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I made my own scope buggy from parts bought entirely from bunning's. They have these square alloy tubs that have plastic connectors so you can build things like shelves. I got the wheels and the crossbars from there to. YOu need to reinforce with steel bars and u clips(also from bunnings). All up it cost me an afternoons work and about $80, works a treat. I'll post some pics if you interested in making your own.

Enjoy the scope.
Sandy

barx1963
26-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Wouldn't mind some pics of the Scope buggy. I have a hand trolley that I have picked up but there a couple of steps between the loungeroom and the back yard that I am seriously worried about, so might need to build a ramp or something!

barx1963
26-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Have some more comments on this scope.

Pros
Very solid feel.
Like the adjustable tension on the Alt axis.
Easy to put together if you know what you are doing.
Pretty good focuser. Would like to compare to a really nice one, Moonlight etc to give a full opinion.
Nice selection of EPs 6mm, 9mm, 15mm and 25mm plossls 1.25" and a 32mm 2".
Excellent service from Andrews, arrived when they said it would, at the price and with the accessories they said.

Cons
Dodgy assembly instructions
Don't like the right angle finder. prefer a straight one as I feel it is easier to line up.

Malcolm

erick
26-06-2009, 01:53 PM
No choice now, no debate! - you have to sell up and move to a more appropriate house in darker skies!

barx1963
26-06-2009, 02:07 PM
LOL:rofl::rofl:
Don't know what the SWMBO will say, but given the directive is from Erick, she can't really argue can she!:P

Robert9
26-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Congratulations on the new baby Malcolm. Seems like you got the Super Deluxe model. :thumbsup: Glad to hear you were able to inoculate it with star glitter nice and early.
Can I ask what was the delivery cost? PM me if you prefer.
Robert

stephenb
26-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Well done, Robert. clear skies from here on in now, mate.

Marclau
26-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Well done mate...........must feel like a kid in a lollie store........so jealous.....wish it was around Jan.........
Clear skies in the Peninsula at the moment so hoping you have too down your way............

barx1963
27-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Got the beast out again last night. Took it about 30 mins down the road to the South West Astronomy Group night in Camperdown to see if they had decent skies. Clear up beatifully after abot 10pm for nearly 3 hours of cruising around Scorpius and Sagittarius. Picked up M13 in Hercules which was a first (can't get it at home as it is very low)
Decided I like the focuser, especially when compared to the old GSO single speed Crayfor. Collimation was still a bit out but have borrowed a laser tool so should be able to fix that. The mounts azi axis is definaitely to easyl so have popped a couple of bits of felt between the two boards and that seems to make a bit of difference.
Have bought a hand trolley and some Ocky straps to assit with moving it. I will be leaving it fully assembled on the trolley and just wheel it outside. There is a step down of about 5inches, but will make a simple ramp to help with that.

Malcolm