PDA

View Full Version here: : Celestron 9.25 dovetail

Sharnbrook
24-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I have just purchased a pre-loved C9.25 that is set up with the CGE or Losmandy dovetail bar.

At present, I have a Vixen mount, but I shall shortly be upgrading that to an EQ6 Pro that also has the Vixen type dovetail fitting.

I am finding it difficult to source (at a reasonable price) a generic Vixen dovetail that will fit the C9.25. Original Celestron fittings are available, but at anything from $149 to $199. 14" Vixen bars are about $39, but I need an 18" bar. Is there an adaptor available that anyone knows of?

There must be others who have had the same problem, how did you solve it? Maybe someone has had the reverse problem, and have had to buy a Losmandy bar. In that case, has anyone got a Vixen rail for exchange or sale?

I am considering fitting a 75x8 mm plate to the underside of the Losmandy rail, and then attaching a 250 Vixen rail to the plate. does anyone have any comments on that suggestion?

Any ideas or tips would be most welcome.

el_draco
24-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Mike, I've just bought a C11 OTA that has an orange dovetail bar. I think that means its a Vixen. I need a Losmandy bar for another scope, as well as this one, so if you would like to swap, let me know.

First I need info on getting the orange one off. Will I need to worry about internal nuts coming off the bolts when I take the bar off????

Rom

Sharnbrook
24-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Rom,

Thanks for your reply, BUT, a few comments. My dovetail bar is Orange, and it's 75mm across the dovetail, which is NOT the Vixen mount, so obviously colour has nothing to do with it. There again, it's not to say that yours isn't the Vixen. If across the widest point of the dovetail it's 1.7" or 43mm (approx) then it IS the Vixen, and maybe we can do a deal. However, if you have the C11, then my 18" (or approx 455mm) long dovetail probably won't fit, as I suspect you will want a longer bar. As far as removing screws, I suspect that won't be a problem, as the end caps for the corrector plate and the mirror cell are threaded. Changing the rail would be a standard procedure I'm sure. However, it would be worth getting confirmation on that before trying the change. You mention that you need a Losmandy bar for another scope, how long would that need to be? Let me know what you think.

citivolus
25-06-2009, 10:47 AM
If I were doing it and going with Losmandy as I am prone to do, I'd try part number VSCT17. Here is their vixen compatible products page:

http://www.losmandy.com/v-series.html

According to the Losmandy web site, that part fits the newer C9.25's, however OPT's web page says it fits only the earlier model C9.25's, so a quick check with Losmandy or a local vendor would be in order.

List price is $65 US, or around $125AU shipped from overseas. Telescopes-astronomy.com.au lists it as $90 + shipping. I've purchased Losmandy gear from them in the past without issue.

Regards,
Eric

Dennis
25-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Mike

I’ve got an early 2000 model C9.25 CF XLT that came with a Losmandy style CGE dovetail bar. Somewhere along the way, I also picked up a C9.25 Vixen style, full length orange dovetail bar.

You are most welcome to drop by and try it (the Vixen dovetail bar) to see if it fits the hole pattern on your C9.25.

Cheers

Dennis