PDA

View Full Version here: : New Glass

loc46south
24-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi All - A few days ago, just before my wife said "NO !!!" I managed to buy a new SkyWatcher Equinox 120ED and even more surprising the sky was clear enough the next evening for a quick look at the stars. With a borrowed 17mm Nagler Radian and my ST8 camera I managed a quick test over the next couple of hours. With what I experienced in that time I am more than satisfied with the images that this scope produces both visually and photographically - Its a keeper.

Full res test photo http://www.pbase.com/loc46south/image/114195933

Cheers

chris lewis
24-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Congratulations on the scope. I have had mine nearly a year now and have been more then been impressed with its optical and build qualities. For me it is a perfect size for decent planatary [esp.] and DSO viewing and yet remaining portable. The FPL-53 glass displays no zonal errors, the image is flat and bright and CA is really minimal.
I had at one stage desires to buy a WO 132 APO but really the increase in any optical qualities would be minimal and not cost effective. My 120ED gives 85 -90 % performance as close to my colleagues TV127 which is 3x times + the price. It is a keeper scope.

DJ N
24-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Very nice results Geoffrey. I echo both your and Chris's sentiments. I myself purchased the Black Diamond ED120 earlier this year. I was hoping for the Equinox, but was unable to find one in Australia. In all honesty, I believe the 120 ED doublets to be one of the best "bang for buck" scopes out there.

Chippy
24-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Congratulation! Nice image too...!!!