PDA

View Full Version here: : Opinions required on new scope - SCT or Mak

ominous2003
10-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi I need some advise from all the experts in here as it's time to upgragde from my 4" Skywatcher Mak.

My current choice of new scope is the Celestron C8-SGT 8" from Andrews Comm, it is the cheapest one I have found so far on the net for $2499.

I will mainly be doing astrophotography planetary work initially and then looking at doing some deep sky later on.

So basically I'm wondering if the Celestron C8 is a good choice for the money or whether I'm better off buying a 6" Mak and saving some money.

I would like this scope to last me for a few years which is why I'm leaning towards the Celestron.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ominous2003

gbeal
10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Cheapest option is the C8, and not a bad option either. If you can afford it, then the Mak, but if I suggested a Mak it would be a Mak/Newt, therefore getting decent usage for both planetary as well as DSO imaging.
BUT.......... a decent one costs, and it also costs from a mount point of view as well.
A middle to top quality Mak (Mak/Cass) will cost all of what you have seen the C8-SGT priced at, and I would figure that or close again for a mount. On the strength of that the C8 looks like a winner.

davidpretorius
10-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Welcome Ominious, I will leave comments to the experts.

I just wanted to say hi!

ominous2003
10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
To davidpretorius, thanks for the welcome and don't be shy if you have any suggestions on my new scope.

To gbeal,

thanks for the advice, it makes a lot of sense. $2500 is my budget so I'm leaning closer and closer to the C8 at the moment. I've still got a couple of weeks to decide so there is plenty to think about at the moment. :doh:

Thanks again.

atalas
10-10-2005, 09:27 PM
:welcome: omi ! hope you enjoy your time here at IIS ,lots of nice people with
great advice as well. On your scope choice I would say It is a good all round scope, I spent many happy years with a C8 so I'm sure you will too .
If you get into more serious DSO imaging later on you will probably want a good bigger EQ mount for you C8 ota and a guide scope.

Cheers

Louie :jump2:

iceman
11-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Welcome ominous! How did you hear about us?

Also you're close by at North Ryde - would love it if you came up to the monthly new moon (or 3rd quarter) meets we have up at Kulnura on the central coast. Some nice dark skies and some great company.

ominous2003
11-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Iceman,
I came across the site when I was doing research on the new scope through google, looked through the forums for a while and liked what I saw :rofl:

I'll be very interest in attending one of your meets in Kulnura once I have my new scope (hopefully by the end of this month), thanks for the warm welcome :thumbsup:

Tom

ausastronomer
11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi Tom and Welcome to the group.

You don't need your scope to come out to Kulnurra. We always have a number of scopes and people are always happy to share the views. Once you have your scope bring it along for sure :)

Regarding your scope purchase, I agree with your own initial thoughts and with Gary Beal's comments that within your $2,500 budget an 8" SCT is your best option. I understand that the recently produced Synta scopes are not quite to the same high standard as previous Celestron manufactured scopes so maybe you might weigh this up and consider a 2nd hand scope and mount? Thats not to say there is anything wrong with the new scopes, the feedback I have had is that the old models were a tad better, thats all. Either way I am sure you will be happy.

CS-John B

ving
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
hiya ominous and welcome aboard. :)