PDA

View Full Version here: : Scopes for children

Marclau
19-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Could anyone advice what would make a great telescope for my kids to become interested in looking up and enjoying the universe......

I have already bought them good binoculars Bushnell Zoom 10X22X50's and also they have just started pointing these towards the moon etc, I'm not sure if my old Meade 4" (i think) would get there enthusiusm going .......they are 6 years and 10 years old........

I have shown them pictures of the galaxies from this site and others, and have started them thinking about the heavens.

Any ideas would be warmly received............

PS Many sites claim some of the scopes are ideal for beginners but their is no mention to mirror quality etc etc

lacad01
19-06-2009, 09:37 PM
For my 2 cents worth, binoculars definitely good way to start off.
A small dob reflector (6" to 8") would be the ideal scope to start with as extremely easy to setup (you would still have to set it up for them, but once up a snap to operate). Some sort of illuminated reticle finder such as a Telrad is also a good investment.

Marclau
19-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks Adam,

On that note, as I am contemplating upgrading my old scope to possbily a 12" DOB, could I kill both sides with this scope and possibly give my old 4" Meade to them??

mental4astro
19-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi Marclau,

I second Lacad01's thoughts.

Then again, your thoughts are just as good, :lol::whistle:.

If you are inclinded to go either way, go with what you can afford, I guess.

Mental

Gama
19-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I started on a 6" reflector, on a home made equatorial steam pipe mount. Anything smaller, well, just not as breathtaking to a newbie.
Since then, i updated my telescopes just a little, and im happy with my current setup..

Theo

Marclau
20-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Some good points guys...........ummmmm

chris lewis
20-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi - I would not buy or recommend 20x50 binos for any one really. Hand shake is very noticable with 20x with a 50 mm lens will give a dim image - OK on the moon but the view will be unsteady + +. Tripod mounting will help greatly but that will take a way from your ability to sweep around the dark skies. For kids I would recommend a wide angle quality bino like the Nikon AE 8x40 or similar.
A good quality 8 in. or 10 in. Dob is a great - make sure it comes from a 'name' producer like GSO / Skywatcher etc. and it has a parabolic mirror. Some come with the 2x speed Crayford focusers.
A 12 in. Dob. is getting substantial in size and weight so check that out prior to buying. Views are impressive however.

Chris

Marclau
20-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks Chris,

I must apologise..........I just went and had a look at their binos........they are actually zooms from Bushnell and are 10*22*50..............and will take onboard your recommendations re telescopes.........:thumbsup:

Rodstar
20-06-2009, 01:57 PM
My son Noah won a 12 inch dob at the first Iceinspace star party at Lostock, and because of its size, we sold it and bought an ED80 on eq3-2 mount. Noah (now 7) has struggled with managing the peculiarities of an equatorial mount, and so we are now talking about selling the ED80, and going for an 8 inch dob instead for him. I would recommend a 8 inch dob for kids.

wavelandscott
21-06-2009, 02:14 AM
I think it depends on the kid!

Mine (aged 8 and 11) have experience with Dobsonian mounted reflectors and AL/Az mounted refractors...

My kids get more use out of the refractors...

While I love my reflectors, the refractors also get used in the day (birds, pirates and spying on the neighbors).

Refractors "look" like a telescope is supposed to look, they work great on planets, double stars and the moon. These are things my kids really enjoy looking at (they are colorful). Their tastes have not yet developed sufficiently to appreciate the faint fuzzy black and white stuff.

No doubt that an 8 inch Dobsonian mounted reflector is a great value and a very good place for a "begginer" to start...but for kids it is hard to beat a refractor mounted on an Alt/Az.

IvanTheTerrible
21-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Binoculars

rmcpb
23-06-2009, 11:28 AM
My kids have been happily handling my 8" dob since they were about six. Easier than binocs as they only have to worry about one eye.

jjjnettie
23-06-2009, 11:40 AM
An 8" dob is a good size for kids.
The focuser is at a good height, (though depending on how tall they are they may need a small foot stool to observe at zenith), and being alt azi, won't get turned to all sorts of awkward angles.
My son Jack was using my 10" with no problems. In fact once he'd learned the night sky a little, could find a lot of the brighter DSO's. Unfortunately, he's lost interest at the moment.

dannat
27-06-2009, 12:34 PM
most zoom binos i have tried have severe optical defects once you get past 10-12x, as for the 8" dob - i think it is way too big for a kid to handle - i would recommend something like a 90AZ refrator from andrews - they are being cleared at the moment for 229, much lighter & the kid will be able to move it themselves

Marclau
27-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I think I will first give them my old Tasco to play with and that way I will know (particularly my 10year old son) if he will really be into this new hobby without needing to spend further money. SO far he has enjoyed the binos (yes 10X setting) so will see his enthuisiasm over the next 6 months......