PDA

View Full Version here: : Which filters for an Atik wheel?

mithrandir
14-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for filters for use with an Atik 314L to go in an Atik wheel (no decision yet on manual or motorised).

I've read good things about Astrodon Gen II "E" series filters, that these are a better match with the Sony CCD chips than the "I" series, and that they were "better" than Astronomiks. So I am considering a LRGB2-E27R set plus a C2_27R.

On the other hand, I've read stories about not all filters filling in the Atik wheel because they rub on the inside of the case.

Andrew

iceman
15-06-2009, 04:36 AM
All I can say for sure, is that the Astronomik's fit in the Atik wheels no problem.

I've also heard good things about the Astrodon's, but don't know the height of them.

Terry B
15-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I had my photometry filters in an atic wheel. They are big fat filters. The "I" filter just hit the inside of the T mount adaptor thread if it was fully screwed in. All I had to do was make a washer to go between the T mount thread and the filter wheel. I used a ring of soft plastic made from an icecream container lid. This made the filter clear the adaptor with no problems.

citivolus
15-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I had the Astrodon Schuler UVBRI filters in my Atik wheel. Unfortunately the V filter crystallised on me, which they were prone to and hence are discontinued, so now I need to either replace it, and not be parfocal anymore, or replace the whole set.

I'll be curious to see which ones you chose.

Don from Astrodon is very quick to respond to email, so if you were to ask him about the thickness of the E series, I am certain that he would respond. The E series are coated rather than dyed glass, so they are not prone to crystallising, however they would be more succeptible to scratching or chemical exposure. In other words, clean them with care and do your best to avoid needing to clean them, as with any filter.

Regards,
Eric

mithrandir
17-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I've had Baader suggested too, and an Australian distributor has checked they fit.

Are they in the same league as the Astrodons and Astronomiks?

iceman
17-06-2009, 08:41 AM
No, not in my experience (for planetary imaging).

They might have a new set out now, but a few years ago, the astronomiks were streaks ahead of the baader set I owned.

marki
22-06-2009, 12:18 AM
I use Astonomik filters in my Atik filter wheel and they fit well (low profile) and are very high quality filters that are scratch resistant. Can't go wrong with these.

Mark