PDA

View Full Version here: : Manfrotto 190xdb/804rc

mick pinner
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
has anyone used one of these and if so any thoughts, also any other options appreciated. l intend to use it with Megrez 90 and Canon DSLR.
thanks.

ChrisM
08-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Mick, I don't know that model but I use a Chinese copy of a Manfrotto as a camera tripod and it's very solid and designed well.

Chris

dannat
09-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Mick, I had a 190xdb & did not find it that sturdy myself (had a WO 66 with 2" diag)- you had to have the legs out really wide, andrew & Aoe sell a heavy duty one which is just as good i reckon -chinese made clone

acropolite
09-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Mick I have the earlier 190 CLB, they're a fantastic tripod, but not sturdy enough for that combo. With lenses up to 70-200 no problem but the Megrez no way. I doubt that the 055 would be heavy enough either. A Vixen Porta or the GS clone would be much better (and cheaper)

mercedes_sl1970
09-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Mick - I have an earlier version of that tripod (I think the legs are still the same construction). I'd agree with the others that it may be putting a little too much weight on it other than for fast exposures. Guess it depends on how you want to use it.

You can hang the combo over the side with a piece of wood attached to the top plate like this Rob Nabholz arrangement (using a different head): http://www.homebuiltastronomy.com/stool/EasyAltAzMountModification.htm

I've used that arrangement quite successfully for visual use with 80 and 100mm scopes, but not for photography.

Andrew

mick pinner
09-06-2009, 06:55 PM
l should have added that it will be for terrestrial work only.
l borrowed one today from Ted's cameras and loaded the Megrez 90 and camera and it seems to handle the weight well and l thank everyone for their replies.
the tension handles lock the head in place very securely even at maximum angles with no hint of movement even when a little pressure is applied so l think it will work fine for what l require.