PDA

View Full Version here: : Hotech laser collimator

manny
27-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi
Does any one own or has used the 2" version,if so how accurate is it
compared to a cheshire and are the results accurately repeated.
I own the orion laser collimator 1.25 version but it is never used due to it's inability to produce the same result twice, so the cheshire is my trusty collimation tool.Just wondering if the Hype surrounding this collimator is justified.

Best wishes
Manny

ngcles
27-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Manny & All,

I'd like the answer to that question too thanks!

I went back to a Cheshire a few years back for precisely the same reason --plus the Cheshire never seems to run out of batteries at a critical time! But I am interested in this product. Sooo ... will someone let us know.

It was a S&T "Hot Product" a couple of years back (2007 ???) -- so it is very unlikely to be a dud, but for the price I wan't to know just how good it is!

Best,

Les D

Calibos
28-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Manny, do you own the Orion Lasermate Deluxe version or the original Orion Lasermate. If you own the Deluxe version then heres a cut and paste of a recent post of mine on SGL forums:

However, all is not lost if you have the older version with just the plain metal 45º target face. I was thinking I could use a hairdryer to soften the glue of the white paper bullseye targer on my own deluxe and peel it off. Scan it, and then others could print it off on some self adhesive printer address label to stick on their plain metal 45º target faces.

alexch
28-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I have HOTECH SCA 2" and find it very good. When I got it it was pretty spot on and didn't draw a circle. Then I dropped it on the floor and it went out of collimation, but I managed to collimate the laser in the telescope using the 2" adaptor. The 2" adaptor has very little play when rotated in my focuser so it was easy. I just tilted the primary so that the return beam misses the secondary and projected the spot on the wall 3-5 metres away.

The self-centering feature is great and works as advertised. The laser hits the primary within 1-2 mm of the centre every time I insert it. There still is some play in the focuser, tube flexure, etc but every time I collimate with it the result is very close to perfect when I check it with the cheshire or star-test.

95% of the time it is the only tool I use in my 12" f/5 Dob for collimation.

Cheers,
Alex

RobF
28-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks Keith. Might just dig out my (non deluxe) orion laster collimator some time and try as you describe. 8" is small enough I can just reach 2 of the primary screws without too hassle, but would be nice to use the laser for a check after travelling to remote sites. :thumbsup:

Up until now most thankful I bought a cheshire too though....!

cjpops
20-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Hey all,

Sorry to bring back an old post - hope somebody can assist..

I'm having a bit of a suitation calibrating my Lightbridge today - I followed Calibos (Keith) information here regarding the 'barlow & orion lasermate deluxe and managed to sucessfully have the 'donut' inside the *45 faceplate..

When I reinserted collinmator in by itself without the barlow it is way out of alignment ( laser is out of the secondary mirror ), so I took it out and put the barlow back in and the 'donut' is still perfectly inside the orion lasermate's *45 'circles' in the faceplate.

I know the lasermate isn't very accurate and it always gives a different reading each time i take it out and back in again, but in this case the donut /barlow collinmating is almost the same position on the faceplate when inserted in again..

Hope this make sense... I just dont know what collinmating reading to believe (barlow method or the standalone), any advice?

Jason D
20-11-2011, 05:26 PM
You are looking at two different readings. Barlowed laser tells you how accurate your primary mirror is aligned. Unbarlowed laser (forward laser) tells you how accurate your secondary mirror is aligned.

Based on your data, your primary mirror looks good but your secondary mirror is off.

Re-iterate. Align the forward laser by only adjusting the secondary mirror then align the donut shadow on the face-plate by only adjusting the primary mirror. Back and forth until both are aligned.

Jason

cjpops
20-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for your tip Jason :) it worked!!

I've managed to get both primary and secondary mirror spot on by doing your method back and forth a few times.

Hope the skies are clear tonight!

Cheers

Kevnool
20-11-2011, 07:19 PM
2" are always going to be better, Only because if your 1 1/2 adapter has slop in it then you will have lotsa trouble collimating with wobble.

Cheers Kev.

multiweb
20-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Got the 2" one. Love the cross pattern. Much easier to center the dot when you don't see it but you can still align with the lines.