PDA

View Full Version here: : 12" LX200-ACF & FLT 98 OTAs inbound

citivolus
26-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll be the first to admit I suffer from Aperture and upgrade fever. In 2001, I bought an 8" LX90, which now lives in California. A year later, an 8" LX200 classic, which has chosen to take up residence in Spain. A year later, a 10" LX200GPS. That one lasted me a few years, but moved on some time ago a a fellow IIS member near Sydney.

I wanted to switch to a GEM so that I could break it down into smaller pieces, so I sold the LX200GPS and ED80, and got the C9.25 CGE and a Megrez 90, using a side by side mount. Those have lasted me a while now, until I again got the urge, or rather, the finances.

Now I have both an FLT 98 (aluminium tube version, with 3.5" focuser) and a 12" LX200-ACF on order. Why the switch back to a Meade? To be honest, I missed the focus lock, and I have a lot of familiarity with their designs and available accessories. I want to be able to guide through a second scope with a lower chance of image shift. And since my mount would hold the 12" without issue, I went for it.

Now, as I await the scope being shipped from Meade via Bintel, I have the time to make a few accessories for it. To make them, I need some numbers. I suspect that they are the same as the earlier 12" LX200 models, but given the changes to the optical train, my assumptions may be false.

For a focussing mask, which I need because my astigmatism is strong, I need to know the diameter of the secondary holder (older 12" LX200's were 4.0"), as well as the inside diameter of the outer ring around the corrector plate. I'm sure if I continue to search via Google that I will run across those numbers, but am hoping that another member will have them handy or an OTA and ruler nearby. Google has been fruitless so far.

Also, for a light box, what is the outside diameter of the OTA at the front? Again, I can find numbers only for the older models.

Regardless of whether anyone can answer these questions, I'll be sure to post back here when these arrive, as I know that the FLT 98 has sparked the interest here in the past.

PeterM
27-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi Ric,
I'm only 13km from you (Loganholme) I have a 12inch LX200R (ACF) can't measure it now just heading out. Will do tomorrow or if you want to come over and get some measurements send me a PM. Inside diameter of ring around corrector hmmm maybe that's one for Don at Bintel. I am home much of tomorrow and Friday. By the way good purchase, you will not be disapointed.
PeterM.

PeterM
27-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Ric,
I just measured mine and had another IIS member Matt measure his to make sure we were consistent. We measured as best we could without getting our rulers to close to the corrector and are both the same.
The outside edge to edge diameter of the front ota is 345mm
The inside diameter is 335mm less the plastic retaining ring that is approx 12mm wide leaving clear glass of approx 311mm.
The Secondary part that sits on the glass corrector is approx 100mm and the protruding part that has the collimation screws is approx 88mm wide. Hope this helps.
PeterM.

Bassnut
27-05-2009, 10:54 PM
You might like to consider the AP 0.67 focal reducer, its permanently on my 12" LX200R, flat, a nice speed increase, and usefull FOV.

citivolus
27-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks all! Peter, I'll send you a PM tomorrow afternoon once I've worked out my schedule for the next few days.

citivolus
28-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Oddly enough I unexpectedly ran into Peter today while out accessorising for my scope. I picked up a few more toys than I had planned to, but at least the OTA won't be naked when it gets here :)

citivolus
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
The behemoth is here. Having had the 10" on a fork before, it doesn't seem that huge, but it does make the C9.25 cower in the corner.

Hopefully I'll have everything ready to break this baby in tomorrow night!

Bintel was excellent to deal with on this purchase. They even installed the Losmandy piggyback rail for me prior to shipping it off. Kudos to them.

Of interest, the purchase price for me was within $25 of what it would have cost to import myself at the current exchange rate. Not bad at all.