PDA

View Full Version here: : No more Kiwi OSDs!

sheeny
22-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I've just discovered that the Kiwi OSD is no longer being manufactured.

http://www.pfdsystems.com/sundown.htm

http://www.pfdsystems.com/kiwiosd.html

That's such a shame. I've been interested in timing astro events for a while and having recently purchased a video camera with external video recording ability, I was considering buying a Kiwi OSD and a video astro camera to get into some occultation timing.:sadeyes: The Kiwi OSD struck me as the bee's knees for accurate timing.

I've just had a quick browse on the web and found a possible alternative:

http://www.blackboxcamera.com/pic-osd/sprite.htm

Anyone know how these perform?

Al.

Blue Skies
22-05-2009, 08:31 PM
oh dear.
I bought a Kiwi OSD last year but I don't have a video camera yet! It only talks to NTSC I found out, and most cameras here are PAL. I've been too busy to chase down the solution and was hoping to tackle it this winter while I've got holidays.

sheeny
22-05-2009, 09:33 PM
G'Day Jacquie,

According to the Kiwi OSD webpage it should auto-detect whether your camera is NTSC or PAL.:thumbsup::)

I just downloaded the IOTA Observer's Manual and have just found this note in there:

So at least that's something.:)

Al.

AstroJunk
22-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Luckily, there is an equally accurate although slightly less convenient option available. http://occsec.wellington.net.nz/videotime/beeper.htm

The beeper box is a fraction of the cost, produces an audio signal that can be recorded onto the video stream. The only real downside is that you need a real parallel port (not a usb printer adaptor) and a decent internet connection to sync to.

There are way too few amateur astronomers contributing to science as it is and there is so much useful work in double star, variable star and occultation timing to be done to help justify all that kit.

Give something back in 2009!

Blue Skies
23-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Really? That's not what happened when I tried it. First I plugged it into a g-star (PAL) and all I could see was static where the numbers should be. When it was tried with one of those cheap Meade video eps (NTSC) it worked fine. :shrug: But the Meade ep is not really suitable, would prefer to use the g-star.

AstroJunk
23-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Hey Jaquie, I use mine with a G-Star with no issues. I wonder if your capture device was set to PAL?

Also, reset the KIWI OSD by pressing the red button AFTER you connect - that often fixes things.

It will work, post your experiences, and we will trouble shoot for you.

Good luck!

Blue Skies
23-05-2009, 12:18 AM
I've just gone back to the home page and found the recall notice for defective transistors and found that my unit is one of those affected. Perhaps that is the problem. I'll contact them and get it sent off tomorrow.

AstroJunk
23-05-2009, 12:33 AM
I had one of those - it still worked, just not quite as well. I did the fix myself, so if you know anyone handy with a soldering iron, it will save you the postage (it is very easy - i'm no sparky!!). I'll send you the instructions if you are willing ...

Blue Skies
23-05-2009, 12:38 AM
But if I send it back they will also update the GPS. Plus I would like them to look at the PAL incompatability problem, seems a good opportunity to do so. I haven't been using it and probably wont be set up for a while yet so I don't mind the delay (although one reason I haven't been using it was the camera problem). A few dollars postage wont hurt me.

Blue Skies
23-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Just reading the manual again - perhaps you can help since you're here - would the record device be the issue rather than the camera? When I tried it I had the g-star going through the OSD to my laptop. I have two recording programs on there but neither of them worked. Should I have been trying it to a camcorder instead?

[edit] since I was on the subject I followed some links and found out I might have the recording program set wrong. :doh: :rolleyes:

AstroJunk
23-05-2009, 12:57 AM
The first test is:

GSTAR - KIWI-OSD - TV.

Forget any recording device, just make sure the device works. The Kiwi-osd will only work with an avi signal in. You can connect your Gstar with the power on without going anywhere near a telescope or lens and get the same effect. You don't even need to plug in the GPS at this stage. We are only looking for meaningful output (but make sure that no light gets into the gstar otherwise it will saturate and you won't see the KIWI-OSD text)

Blue Skies
23-05-2009, 01:01 AM
ok, thanks for the tip! I might try it first thing tomorrow and I'll report back with the results. (I'll hold off on posting anything, if at all, until Monday).

At least this is getting me closer to solving the problem! :thumbsup:

AstroJunk
23-05-2009, 01:13 AM
We'll soon have that first Occultation timed:D

kinetic
23-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi Al, everyone.

This thread caught my attention a day ago.
I'm not sure if this project is really suitable but it does do time
overlays with a bit of programming and a PC.

I built this years ago for doing Jupiter occult stuff with mini PCB
video cameras.

It's based on the STV5730A video overlay chip which can be
programmed easily via the I^2R bus serially.
Here's a link to a quick google of STV5730A.
http://www.alternatezone.com/electronics/vtg.htm

I mounted it in a box along side a video splitter module which was also
very handy ...needing to record signal and view on a monitor
at the same time.

This was an EA project Aug 99 and a follow up project with easy
AT keyboard interface Oct 99.
Quite out of date technology nowadays anyway.

Another alternative is using a webcam with time date stamp function
software.
There are literally dozens of freeware apps that can do this and also
upload to FTP for webcasting or checking on your remote
observatory etc.
I use ATComedy32 webcam software (free) and it FTPs my site at
whatever interval I choose. Here's a shot:
http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/astrosteve/livewebcam.jpg
It obviously can be used to webcast or send live feed (minus processing
and HD delays) to the HD.

Steve

AstroJunk
23-05-2009, 09:01 PM
That's actually very good Steve. If I were to redesign the KIWI-OSD, it would have a video splitter too (and indeed I use one in my obervatory).

The Kiwi makes use of an external GPS to get a 1 Pulse per Second signal from a number of sattelites which it does some clever maths to in order to get a milisecond accurate timestamp. After time aquisition, The time is read off the device i think.

If you are ever up for a project, you are well on the way to filling nasty hole;)

(there are others on the market, but way to expensive!)

kinetic
24-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't have enough time for my projects Jonathan, let alone
someone elses! :)

The STV overlay timestamp is done in the program by calling on
the PC time. Nowhere near the accuracy of your GPS function
but easily accurate to within +/- 1 sec.

Steve

Blue Skies
24-05-2009, 10:49 PM
er, yeah, that was the problem. :doh::ashamed: :doh: :ashamed: :doh: gstar worked fine with straight to a tv then I had a play with VirtualDub (which is not that intuitive to use) and got the frame rate changed to PAL and 25 fps and voila! There it was.

Well, I supposed that gets me one step closer to actually recording an occulatation! What's next on my list ...

AstroJunk
24-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Fantastic result Jacquie:thumbsup:

You are right about VDub being a little less than intuitive! One of it's best features is the ability to save files in pre-defined sizes which is handy because LiMovie (the occultation timing analysis program) can only handle 2 Gig files. I shan't spoil the fun of trying to work out how to do it just yet, but I have been meaning to produce a 'how to' some time, because it isn't so straight forward!

I hope you have downloaded Occult Watcher ...

AstroJunk
24-05-2009, 11:08 PM
One has to hope Steve ;)

Blue Skies
25-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Does that mean it only does files up to 2 Gig or the file has to be exactly 2 Gig to use?

No - is that the one which warns when an occultation is likely to happen over your location? I have Occult 4 but don't use it much (mainly because I'm not anywhere near ready to go yet) and I'm on the RASNZ occultation section monthly email notification of upcoming events.

AstroJunk
25-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Upto 2 gig - raw AVI gets captured at about 1 gig a minute, so files get very big very quickly.

Occult 4 is an amazing program, but not needed for the average observer. Occult Watcher is indeed the one that co-ordinates the events and is a great tool for planning as it will present you with all of your local events for the next couple of months. It integrates with google earth too so you can see exactly where those shadows are predicted to fall.

mozasaur
05-08-2009, 11:19 PM
:)Hi all,
I have been waiting to afford an osd for years, or arrange funding for some, will the design be released so that we can build our own kits? ie will the pcb graphic be available and will you still program the chip, Geoff?

..and then I suppose it would be great to share the process again, so how many people do you suppose might actually want one still? Is that a possible path for us to follow?

cheers. Paul Moss (Wellington):)