PDA

View Full Version here: : Short FL Scopes.

Tandum
10-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I want to get myself a shorter FL scope, something around 800mm.

I've been looking at either a 2nd hand Tak FS-102 or a new Vixen R200SS. Both are 800mm but the Vixen is half the F stops of the Tak at F4 and way way cheaper. In fact I can get the Vixen and a QHY8 camera for less than the 2nd hand Tak. The Tak has a reducer where as the Vixen has a coma corrector and a tele-extender. I doubt I'd want less than 800mm but I believe the tak needs the FR to get a flat field.

Which way would you go and why?

gbeal
11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Robin,
you already know what I think, but I'll air it anyway.
The FS102, or any of the equivalent scopes are lovely, really nice, but in this bang for buck world, nothing to my mind beats the newt.
So I am swinging for the likes of the R200SS, or any of the other variants, GSO being one of them.
Having to use a coma corrector is no great hardship, I use one with the 80mm refractor, and have even been using it with my 10" f5 newt. The likes of the 8" f4 actually fills a dual role, if you can use an extender with it as well, giving a longer focal length, but with the same easy to mount package.
Gary

AlexN
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
As with Gary, You know my thoughts... R200SS all the way.. put the extra money towards a QHY8/9..

F/4 is a fast system indeed, and with a high QE CCD mounted in it you'll be able to really suck the data down! A very important factor to think about!