PDA

View Full Version here: : New Scope but Weathers fine

TrevorW
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Wouldn't it xxxx you when you want rain nothing makes a difference as far as the Gods are concerned my new scope arrived today and not a cloud in the sky so unless something drastic happens I'll be testing it tomorrow night

Attached pictures

:thumbsup:

dannat
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
good luck, hope the first images look great

TrevorW
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
My thanks go to Lee Andrews and his crew especially Luke for their help with purchasing this scope.

Lee checked the collimation for me prior to shipping.

It was sent on Tuesday from Sydney arrived Friday all safe and well packed.

madwayne
02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Very nice Trevor. I'm anxiously waiting for your first light report.

Good luck and may the skies in the West be clear.

Wayne

gbeal
02-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Good luck mate. looks nice, now get some images.
Gary

pgc hunter
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
nice scope! You're more than welcome to take Melbourne's usual rain and clouds. I'll even pay for the shipping.

marki
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Shhh Trevor, the weather gods might decide to smite you:). Case and scope look good and I am looking forward to seeing your first images, good luck,

Mark

TrevorW
02-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey Mark We need the rain thats why I brought a new scope

Cheers

KenGee
02-05-2009, 05:05 PM
If nothing else it looks the business, very smart look scope. We should have a hall of fame reserved for people who have bought a major peice of kit without the clouds rolling in for a week or two. LOL good luck.

dpastern
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Build quality looks a bit rough to my eyes, and it looks overly plasticky in the images. I think I'd rather look at something like Deepsky Instruments units than the GSO variants - I suspect optically they'll be better, and build quality will easily surpass the GSO/Astro Tech variants too. Yes, it'll be a bit more pricier, but not by a lot - I think the 10" Astro Tech units are going to ship for around US $4600 or so, about 1-2000 cheaper than the Deepsky Instrument units.

http://www.deepskyinstruments.com/home.htm

Dave

KenGee
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Dave I have a deepsky instruments RC, and they are very good. As with everything these different scopes are made to different price points. The optics in a deepsky scope are made by the some guy that mades RC optics and more scopes. The diference is in the materials they are made from. For their price these guys look good.

dpastern
02-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Probably true, yes. It'll be a while before I can afford to lash out on one of these babies or similar (I'm strongly leaning towards Deepsky Instruments variants), plus, I need to really learn how to fully utilise what I currently have. I see no use in upgrading until I've done so ;-)

Trevor - despite my earlier comments, I hope you have a lot of fun with that new scope. Make sure to post images made with it.

Dave

TrevorW
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
10" Ritchey-Chrétien Astrograph RC10 (uncorrected):$ 6,495 ($ 4,995 introductory price expires Jan. 9, 2009) RC10C (corrected):$ 7,495 ($ 5,995 introductory price expires Jan. 9, 2009) These are US dollars
so lets see a 10" corrected comes in at $10000 AUD

sorry just not in my price range now or probably ever unless of course I win Lotto see my post under 1st Light re images form the RC

Have sorted the balance issue interim measure until 1 can rig up the ED80 as a GS refer attached photos, balanced spot on but yet to see if it works guiding.

Cheers

gbeal
03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Ha, perfect result, well done, why didn't I think to tell you that. Man, that is a wicked amount of "hang" at the rear though, I stand by my earlier "criticism", that they should have pegged that back a bit.
Get some imaging, prove all the skeptics wrong, LOL.
Gary

marki
03-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Looking good Trevor:thumbsup:. I thought you would be able to balance it out with the guide scope position and you didn't even have to add more weights :). It would be a bit tougher for those using OAG or a self guiding camera though. How do you think the focuser will hold up with that base ball bat hanging off the end? Now call in sick, take a week off and get imaging :D.

Mark

dpastern
03-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes, true, but I believe the GSO/Astro Tech 10" variant is US $4695 or thereabouts, and that's what I was really comparing it against. I'm going from memory on the price, so I could, and probably are, very wrong lol.

It's not cheap no, never said it was. The 8" is very well priced, I think Andrews were selling them for around AU $2795 or thereabouts?

I like the balancing solution, very nifty! And boy is that a lot of back focus.

Dave

PS Is that a crack on the rear LCD on that Canon (looks like a 400D?)?

TrevorW
03-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi David

Its a 350d no crack just a reflection

based on pricing I've seen the 10" should come in under $5k AUD.

any dearer and I'd be asking who's making a big Profit.

Personally I think we all dream of big RC's and ME mounts and places to put them but hey we make do did you check out Paul Hearse first light and mine

multiweb
03-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Fine looking rig Trevor. :eyepop: Congrats! Can't wait to see some action now :thumbsup:

Alchemy
05-05-2009, 07:03 AM
thanks for the piccys .

is the finder (guider) setup standard

how long is the extender, as it looks like a standard one.

The focuser is different from the GSO, mines got just a silver inner drawtube on my newt so perhaps theyve done a slight upgrade?

i will be watching all the posts with regards to these to see how
1. the flattenner issue is resolved
2. Collimation seems to be a pig, watching to see a method that best works
3. low contrast objects image... ( i know paul said he knows of people doing 1 hr subs)... but i can guarantee they aint using non cooled dslrs.

dugnsuz
05-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Looks a mean rig Trevor.
I'm a wee bit jealous now!
That focuser looks pretty chunky too.
Doug

dpastern
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Ah good, no crack in the camera LCD, that's always a horrible sight to see.

As to the 10", I'm seeing US 4700 or thereabouts pricing, given the current exchange rate, there's no way I can see it getting here under AU $5k.

I'd love a RCOS 12.5" and AP1200 mount combo, that'd be awesome. But the truth is, I ain't good enough to warrant it. I have enough problems witih my lowly Equinox + EQ6Pro unit lol.

Dave