PDA

View Full Version here: : mounting etx125 scope to eq5 _what is needed?

James74
28-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Hello ,

My father has an eq5 mount he is no longer using , and we would like to mount the etx on it for photography , what parts do i need to buy to do it?

Kind Regards

James

Gama
28-04-2009, 09:14 PM
You may need a dove plate, mounting rings etc...
It may be best to go see your local astroshop, and he can look at what you may need exactly by showing him your scope.

Theo

White Rabbit
30-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I did this (or i should say bintel did it for me when I got my eq5) with mine and all you need is two screws, a dove plate (should have come with the mount) and a drill.

If you look under the etx you should see a small black square that is the houseing for the screws. You all you have to do is get the etx scope off the fork mount, it think from memory there are two little screws on each side of the ota that you remove and that releases the scope from the mount. You may also have to remove the focus knob as well as the plastic sleave that surrounds the ota, after you have the ota off the scope you have to put these back on. If it's the PE version you will need a hex screwdriver to get the LNT module off, this will no longer work as a red dot finder as it needs to be plugged into the mount to get power. I recently put mine back together and the lnt module no longer works so be carefull with it.

Another thing you may want to check is the thread size of the holes in the OTA. I think from memory the are in imperial measurement due to being from the US, so finding mounting screw may be a bit difficult.

Hope this helps.

White Rabbit
30-04-2009, 11:09 AM
You might want to think about getting a focal reducer for the scope if you are going to be using it for photography because the ETX is about an f15 so it's pretty slow and has a narrow field of view.

James74
30-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey Guys ,

thanks a lot for your detailed replies , helped heaps.. how will i do star aligns without a rd dot finder? i guess a veiwfinder is a must .

Kind Regards,
James

White Rabbit
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi James.

You can buy an RDF (red dot finder) or a telrad from any telescope shop. You will need one thats for sure.

Sandy