PDA

View Full Version here: : Need help with monochrome selection

Paul Haese
22-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

I am in a quandry. I am thinking of buying another camera. I really like my cooled 40D but I was thinking of getting a ST4000XCM (colour camera) but for an extra 2K I could get the monochrome version of this camera. I cannot afford to buy a STL11K but could maybe swing the STL4020M.

Having said that though I am aware that there are the QSI540 which I think has the same size chip and some other manufacturers offering the same size chip cameras.

I intend to use it on my TSA102 and if this GSO RC works out on that. Am I selecting the right camera for the job? What are the recommendations of the imagers here and why? I have read so much stuff that my head is now starting to spin. Can anyone lead me in the right direction.

Omaroo
22-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Paul - the University of Western Sydney has an ST-4020 with filters that they want me to try for them. They've owned it for a while but haven't had an equatorially-mounted scope to use it on - having an alt-az 14" LX200 in a dome. I've offered to use it for a while ( :D ) on my FS-102 - so that might be something I could help you with when I get it. It'd be close to your TSA in terms of resolution, etc.

Paul Haese
22-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Chris I think I will order the STL4020 before you get it. Though I would be very interested in your thoughts as I will be waiting for the camera. This will give me a good impression of what you think and what I need to consider.

Thanks for your help.

Gama
22-04-2009, 06:39 PM
They will all be similar in function and performance. You will really need to make sure you get service for your camera and software support.
Which again, all manufacturers are doing at the moment. The only real quibble, is whether you can afford a off axis version etc etc.
You really wont go wrong with any of the monos. Just select the one your happiest with and go for it. Dont look back, as there can not be just one answer, so any way you look at it, you will at least have a camera that will do what you want and as you want.

Theo.