PDA

View Full Version here: : Collapsible Dob - good,bad or same?

Rokketboy
18-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Greetings peoples,
I have been looking at getting a Dob as my first scope. Probably an 8", maybe 10".
I have noticed that there are quite a few collapsible models available which appeals to me due to transport factors. We only own 1 car, and its a sedan (Toyota Avalon - good size boot) and I have 2 young children which would need to fit in there somewhere as well (booster seats incl.)
My question:
Are there any drawbacks to a collapsible configuration?
An obvious benefit is space saving. Any other benefits?
Thanks in advance

P.S
I can get a Sky Watcher 8" Collapsible for $499. Crayford focuser, Right angle finder, 2 eyepieces.
Good deal?

Starkler
18-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Space saving is what its about.

GrahamL
19-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I think those collapsable dobs are great as they do deal with a big part of the portability issue but not all ....the bases on these scopes are large when assembled .. my 10" base still wouldn't fit in a large sedans boot .. though the 8 " your looking at would .

Consider one of these finders
http://www.backyard-astro.com/equipment/accessories/telrad/telrad.html
The telrad when used with the right angle finder is a great tool for helping you find stuff.

enjoy your stay Jared

Rokketboy
19-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the info stalker, you have just sold me on staying with an 8" and on getting a telrad. I was considering the telrad anyways, but that info has convinced me.
Cheers

Dingo
19-04-2009, 02:27 PM
If you put the kids in the boot and the scope on the back seat , you could definitely fit a 10 inch in <j/k> :p

I recently bought an 8 inch Collapsible Dob Saxon for $599 and I thought that was a good price. I spent about 2 weeks looking for telescopes and which type would suit me. So yes, thats a top price.

I benefit I would like to point out is, the Dob's do seem more kid friendly. For example, My son Travis(11) ,who is Autistic, has NO concept of gentle. I've seen him with other telescopes and it's scary as he just grabs and pulls it towards his eye. With the Dob , it's much easier for him to look thru and seems more resilient to his handling. Last week he looked at the moon thru the 25mm eye piece for the first time. :-) Once he realized that was the moon, he'd look up at the moon , then back to the telescope, back to the moon back to the telescope. This went on for 2 mins, and the memory pays for the telescope. :-)

mozzie
19-04-2009, 04:48 PM
hi rocketboy i have a 8"coll dob skywatcher to take camping and astro parties nice and partable my kids look through it there great ive a telrad and there a must if a laser collminator is also a must and once you get the hang of aligning the mirrors it only takes a minute great choice oull be happy with it
mozzie

sally1jack
19-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Very nice :thumbsup:

GrahamL
19-04-2009, 06:16 PM
yes a dobs use is very easy for kids to grasp.. last year
http://www.sidewalkastronomers.us/index.html
I had a few kids just throwing my scope around the sky in a few minutes with a telrad in use.. :)