PDA

View Full Version here: : Advice on a new imaging scope

vash
17-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok, I haven't been able to image for a long time due to this drought of clear skies we have had in SE QLD so I've been saving up some money (mainly for a house, but hey, I need something to put in the observatory right), so as I save up and I give myself a little reward this time it's a new scope for imaging (and maybe a new boat). At the moment I'm using a 10" skywatcher reflector, it's ok but it just doesn't give the best images IMO.

I was thinking along the lines of a nice refractor but there are so many out there these days what is the one for me, or is there another scope out there that would be nice. I'm looking at spending about $2000 but not too much more that that if I can help it.
I would be aiming more for DSO's like nebulae, clusters a few of the larger more interesting galaxies, (not interested in tiny little faint fuzzies), so a focal length of around 800 would be just fine with me.

So what would you suggest would be a good imaging scope for a modded 450D with out breaking my budget much. I would also like a side by side mounting plate and something for dew control as this ruins most of my image runs during winter.

Paul Haese
17-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Ashley,

you could get a nice 100mm black diamond for around 2000. However you will need a mount. I have seen images taken with the larger version (120mm) and they look very good. Worth a look I reckon.

vash
17-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I have an EQ6 pro with a the Skywatcher ED80 as a guide scope with DSI2 camera, all thats taken care off, just a new scope.

I looked at those and I can get one of those easy but are they the best scope at this price range?

I also have looked at the Megrez 110 ED APO f/5.9 but the skywatcher has a bit longer focal length, would the skywatcher have better optics now false colour or coma? I have an MPCC so I'm not too worried.

TrevorW
17-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I suggest the William Optics Mergz 110mm ED would be a better buy if your more inclined mores towards Nebula's as mentioned

Cheers

vash
18-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Upon looking over a lot of forums and images I think I might up the amount a little more to maybe 2500 or more, I'm sure the black diamond is a good scope but I don't think I'd be as happy with it judging from the images I've seen from it.

I'm leaning towards saving up more and get myself one of these Flourite Triplet 110mm APO F/7.0, might be out of my price range at the moment but i Could have one by the end of the year, although if something along these lines where to come up second hand for a nice price I'd have to snap it up ;).

I was going to hold out and see what the GSO RC's are like to image with but at the same time I know a good refractor is a proven performer. But please keep surgestions coming in.

Moon
20-04-2009, 05:05 PM
The Orion 8" F/8 Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph Telescope looks like good value at USD$1195 (about $1667 AUD). Not sure how you would get it to Australia!

http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=astro-imaging_scopes/~pcategory=astro-imaging/~product_id=08958

TrevorW
20-04-2009, 05:25 PM
This is orions swing on the GSO RC it uses BK7 glass instead of quartz for the mirror. Even adding GST and allowing $200 for freight it's still about $400 cheaper AUD wise than the ANDrews quoted price on the GSO version

I notice the Orion also includes focal back extension tubes although has a metal tube instead of CF.

It'll be interesting to see if a 10" comes out and the pricing

marki
20-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Don't forget guys if the item costs over $1000.00 Au you will end up paying import duties. This I imagine would bump the cost up some where near Andrews.

Mark

Moon
20-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Mark
That's right. Customs duty is 5%, plus the 10% GST on top of that. refer to example 5 in this link. http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Andrews has a Skywatcher PRO ED120 ED OTA for AUD $1799. I wonder how this would go with your 450D / 350D cameras? What would the stars look like near the edge of the image?

rat156
21-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Except for the fact that telescopes are not dutiable. Cameras are also duty free, you'll only have to pay the GST. Even then sometimes thing get through.

Cheers
Stuart

vash
21-04-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm not too sure about the cheaper RC's, I'd like to see what they are like first from the few members that have them, if they are good I will consider something like that. At the same time though I like the look off the WO fluorite but I'm not set on that yet, I just think that it is worth the extra bit of money.

Peter Ward
21-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Errr...beg to differ. Cameras are not duty free. CCD's are in a different category, but put the word "camera" on a commercial invoice and I guarantee customs can make you pay duty. (as to whether they do or not, well, they are public servants after all)

10% GST is levied on freight *and* the cost of the goods.

There are also about $65.00 in fixed customs entry fees and charges with UPS/Fedex.

batema
21-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Hello Ashley,

I have a Williams Optics Flourite 110 and have had it since October last year. I am no expert and looked for numerous reviews while researching for a larger refractor as basically our school has a Skywatcher ED 80 and I wanted my own scope. The reviews of this scope were very positive and said it was very good value for money for its capabilities. I paid $2700 for mine from Astonomy Alive and the owner Cris said that it was an excellent imaging scope. It looks great and the focuser is 4" wide, very strong and smooth as silk. I use a canon 400d and no slippage at all. I will include three photos. The first two are of my set up and the third is an image I took on Sunday night through the scope of NGC5128. It is 8 x 10 min Lights with 3 x 10 min darks stacked DSS and processed CS3. I am struggling with my processing so I hope this gives you some idea. You could also search bluescope (Steve) as he has on too and loves it as well.

I can not seem to attach image here so will post it in Deep Sky.

Mark

rat156
22-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Oops meant to say astronomical cameras are duty free (that Canon or Nikon IS a telescope accessory).

Hey, I'm a bloody public servant as well!!

Anyway my reading of the Customs tariff (Schedule 3) Section 9006.59.00, says they're free of duty.

Cheers
Stuart

vash
24-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Ok made my decision.
I'm going for the William optics ftl110. I believe it is the better scope for the sought of work that I'll be doing,, I got the lite version that is the OTA and carry case but added the field flattener and camera adapter for a start and will later on get a dew heater and a diaginal, I know that one that come with the complete will be the best around but It will only be needed for drift aligning so I'll just get a cheaper one.

Thanks for all the imput on the subject.

also I won't have it for a while maybe a month or 2 so the sky should be clear in that time.