PDA

View Full Version here: : SkyWatcher Dobsonian 10" What modifications should be made?

Arman
14-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Greetings IIS.
Instead of getting the Celestron NCT-10, I've started to learn towards the Skywatcher Dobsonian 10". I'm a bit curious, what modifications shall I do over time to this Telescope?:thumbsup:

toryglen-boy
14-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Arman

thats quite an open ended question, can be more specific?

:thumbsup:

mozzie
14-04-2009, 04:23 PM
ihi i have a 8" that i take away the first thing i did was move the finder scope over further to fit my telrad closer to the focesser then put a base plate in for telrad i removed the primary mirror and etched in 3 dots for the centre to align mirrors while mirror out put a modified wait system in the end for when i use 2"eyepieces helps with the balance
mozzie

Arman
14-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Meaning as in,

What eyepieces,filters, mounts and D.I.Y shall be done?

I've already decided to take my finderscope from my first scope and install it on my future Dob! (http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=49&ProdID=342)

Just curious, would 1.25" eyepieces work? I'm planing to use my 1.25" Celestron Kit.

In this case.
If you were given a Dobson what would you do first? ;)

Lyinxz
14-04-2009, 08:38 PM
My Recommendations

- Laser Collimator
- Telrad finder
- x1 high quality medium power EP
- x1 igh quality low power EP
- D.I.Y things >> fix alt/az sticky which seems to be common on most SW dobs.

:thumbsup:

rmcpb
15-04-2009, 10:00 AM
If it doesn't come with a crayford focuser then add that to Ash's list.

h45e
15-04-2009, 12:04 PM
My recommendations is get a right angle finderscope,
and get some "bob's knobs"

tnott
15-04-2009, 08:21 PM
You will need good quality eyepieces because of the short focal length. Stay away from cheap wide fields. Most Plossls will work OK though.

Shimming around the centre pivot bolt will improve motions in Azimuth.

A Telrad is a good intuitive finder - you don't have to do complex spatial gymnastics from your star charts.

Speaking of which, good star charts like the Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas are important too.

Good collimation tools keep your views sharp.