PDA

View Full Version here: : Autoguide, CGE1400

cpt cooties
13-04-2009, 02:06 PM
HELLO:help:
I want to auto guide my CGE1400 and have a question on how it all should be hooked up

Main scope CGE 1400
Main scope controlled via THE SKY V6 through scope hand controller
Guide scope G5" SCT or 80mm short tube refractor
Guide camera 1st option Celestron Neximage(USB)
2nd option Orion Starshoot autoguider(?)
Guide software Guidedog or PHD Guide 191

also useing ASCOM

I use THE SKY v6 which is installed on my computer which is connected to the telescopes hand controller via COMMS port 1 on the computer.
I have the guide software installed and talking to the camera(Neximage).
Do i need a cable to connect from the CGE autoguide port to the computer aswell or will it all work through the Comms port 1 connection i have already, The computer has 2 more comms ports should they be needed and multiple USB ports.

Im new to the autogude thing and have not yet built my observatory to house the setup, soon i will set it all up in the garage to test the whole shee-bang out, but before i do i thought someone may be able to let me know if i need any extra cables or software etc...
Any tips or pointers that help me before i throw myself into the deep end are greatfully apreciated.

Thanks to all:thumbsup:

Paul Haese
13-04-2009, 06:39 PM
By looking at you equipment, you need to have a guide port interface such as a GPUSB from Shoestring astronomy. Without the interface you cannot send signals to the guide port on the mount.

gbeal
13-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I am sure Paul is correct. In my case I plug the auto-guide cable direct from the mount to the QHY5, but in your case I guess a cable of some description is required.
Gary

cpt cooties
13-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Thank you for your response. I also found out that BINTEL a Australian scope shop sells Shoestring Astro products....

Shoestring Astronomy provides you with two options!

USB port guiding using the GPUSB product
Parallel port guiding using the GPINT-PT product
The GPUSB guide port interface adapter plugs directly into a USB port on your computer or a USB hub attached to your computer. Using an RJ-12 cable, the adapter connects to the guide port of your telescope mount. This guide port interface uses optocouplers to electrically isolate the computer from the telescope, eliminating a possible source of electrical interference. This interface adapter requires no external power source since it receives its power via the USB cable. More information can be found by clicking here to view the User Manual (http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/User_Manual_GPUSB.pdf). The GPINT-PT guide port interface adapter plugs directly into the parallel port of your computer. Using an RJ-12 cable, the adapter connects to the guide port of your telescope mount. This guide port interface uses optocouplers to electrically isolate the computer from the telescope, eliminating a possible source of electrical interference. This interface adapter is small and require no external power source. It uses the D4, D5, D6, and D7 lines of the parallel port. Furthermore, all of the parallel port signals are routed through the adapter to another DB-25 female connector so you still have access to all the parallel port signals. If you have a modified webcam or a DSLR shutter control cable that needs to be controlled by some of the parallel port signals (D0, D1, D2, or D3), you still have access to them! More information can be found by clicking here to view the User Manual (http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/User_Manual_GPINT_PT.pdf).

gbeal
13-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I have just taken a look at the Bintel site, where they sell the SS Autoguider.
It seems that this comes with the applicable cable to connect the camera direct to the mount, much as my QHY5 does. This would then all work with PHD, my choice.
Gary

tlgerdes
13-04-2009, 07:45 PM
If your scope can be controlled through your computer already and you a say you have ASCOM driver installed, then you should be able to just the Orion autoguider and PHD to controller via your computer.

The Orion Autoguider acts as the camera for PHD and PHD issues commands to your scope via the ASCOM interface.

PHD also accepts a number of other cameras for guiding input. Download and install, then see what cameras you have lying around that can talk to PHD

Trev

cpt cooties
13-04-2009, 08:07 PM
So the guider is connected to the scope through the RJ-12 connector and also through the USB port on the computer, so the camera sends a signal to the guide software via USB the software then sends a signal back up the USB to the camera which then sends the correction on to the Telescope via the RJ-12.

ASCOM
do i need to set that software up or because its installed does PHD or Guidedog software look for ASCOM and then ASCOM talks to the computer connected to the hand controller.

bert
13-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Tip 1: Use a refractor for autoguiding scope, not a sct. You can get image shift from the primary mirror on a sct, and that will wreck an exposure randomly.

Tip 2: Forget the neximage. Not sensitive, not long exposure and you need a gpusb. Its a planetary camera.

Tip 3: Get the qhy5/starshootag (they are practically the same), Why? The ssag has a st4 output (rj12 cable) that plugs DIRECTLY into your mount with only a usb to your computer (ie the autoguiding input does not go through your computer). They are very sensitive being mono and a much larger chip to pick guidestars from.

My .02c:)

cpt cooties
13-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Thnx Bert
:thumbsup:

g__day
15-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Agree with Bert on all those points. To guide my C9.25 I had to use an off axis guider and a Meade DSI II Pro mono. Side by side guiding was a waste of time and the colour Meade DSI didn't perform anywhere near as well as the mono DSI II.

I use a GPINT (but I have to be careful to write Hex null (X'00) to the parallel port at start-up - as Windows doesn't leave it in a predefined neutral state! I'd prefer the GBUSB- but either works when you understand its set-up!

Matt