PDA

View Full Version here: : need some help with mid-range eyepieces

andrew2008
12-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Having just sold my EQ6 and buying an Argo Navis i have about $500-600 leftover and was going to look at getting some better eyepieces. The scope is a 10" F5 dob. Will be looking to keep these for at least a few years before any possible upgrades so want to do it right this time. Trouble is seem to be too many options and after spending some time searching old posts here and on cloudy nights and still don't seem much closer:shrug:

Was looking at getting 3 EP's out of the hyperion and/or stratus range. Seem to be lots of very happy users of these and difference between the 2 appears (from my research) to be negligible. Was thinking maybe the 8mm, a 13 or 17mm and a 24mm.

Today however have started looking at others and am now thinking the Pentax xf 8.5mm and TV Pan 24mm may be a better option. My main concern is this means a hole in middle so wondering how well the Pan will barlow to effectively have 24mm, 12mm and 8.5mm?

Any help much appreciated.

Paddy
12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I have found the 24 mm Pan goes with 2x barlow very well to give effective fl of 12. Used this heaps before I got my 13mm Nagler. I don't know about using it with a 3 x barlow. I reckon its worth investing a little more and getting a smaller number of good eps and using a quality barlow. I use my 24 mm pan heaps and its a great eyepiece.

wavelandscott
12-04-2009, 01:51 PM
What do you already have for eyepieces?

Robert9
12-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I have an 8mm Hyperion. It's excellent. Wide field, good vision to the field edge, sharp images, 20mm eye relief -great for glasses. Will be adding a 13mm and 21mm depending on funds. With those 3, I feel a Barlow will be redundant.
Robert

Robert9
12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I'll add a P.S. to the above. I'd also like a 5mm, but suburban viewing conditions prohibit such high mags. I had one on appro. (thank you York) but changed it for the 8mm. When I have the others, then I'll reconsider the 5mm for the times when I'm out bush with clear black skies.
Robert

andrew2008
12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
At the moment i have 10 & 25mm plossols and 15mm expanse.

wavelandscott
13-04-2009, 12:18 AM
What do you like /dislike about them?

What things would you like to improve upon?

For me, one of the things for me was I wanted to stay in the 1.25 inch format...that way I could use all of my eyepieces in all of my scopes.

I opted for a 24 Panoptic and it is easily my most used eyepiece. My next added eyepiece was an 11mm Nagler T6 (which after a while I traded for a 13T6 when I got my 10 mm Pentax XW). My 3rd eyepiece acquisition was a 7 mm Pentax XW (which led to the 10 mm XW and the Nagler swap)...

I've added in the gaps a bit over time but these four (24 Pan, 13 T6, and the 10/7 XWs) are the ones I use most. Most certainly the Pan and Nagler get used ever time...and usually either the 10 or 7 XW...and when conditions allow out comes the Powermate...

I did (and would) fill the low or medium magnification slots first...but the 24 Pan plus the Pentax XF would bith be nice.

Try if you can before you buy!

andrew2008
13-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Thankyou for your responses so far.

Well the 10mm barely gets used as I find the small FOV annoying so i just use the 15mm and barlow it for probably 90% of my viewing. As i'm getting more experienced i've started to notice the 15mm shortcomings - bad field curvature and stars not coming to focus from outer half FOV, maybe more.

Would look at lower power pieces first but since i could barlow the 24 Pan thought i may get away with it. Interested in hearing more about your experience with the 13T6.

wavelandscott
13-04-2009, 01:59 PM
The 13 mm Nagler T6 is a really fine eyepiece...there is a representative review (I think) here in the review section that pretty much sums up my opinion of this eyepiece.

The only knock I'd put on the eyepiece is that it does represent colors a little more "warmly" (coffeeish) than the Pentax which to my eye is cooler. It is relatively small and compact so balance on a dobsonian reflector should not be an issue. The large FOV is handy in an undriven dobsonian mounted reflector.

Having said that, if you are considering the Nagler, you might save a few more coins and get the Ethos. From all acounts it is the Nagler "space walk" even more so...

It is a good eyepiece.

Starkler
13-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I have found my 24 panoptic to be shocking in the two barlows i tried it in , one shorty and one long barlow. I couldnt see the field stop and it just felt weird to look through. Sorry I cant be more specific.

Starkler
13-04-2009, 02:18 PM
You sound like a person who would be delighted with a pentax 10mm xw ;)
Viewing comfort supreme and the sharpest, flattest, contrastiest view available in a 10mm widefield. Unfortunately thats your budget gone on one eyepiece, but you would use it more than any other for general dso viewing.

andrew2008
13-04-2009, 03:14 PM
While i have no doubts that i would love the pentax i just can't risk it. It's starting to cool down a bit so don't fancy being kicked out to the doghouse for a week. Might give me a chance to test it out though:lol: Had noticed the 20mm XW on the for sale forum and was tempted to get that and use it with a barlow but i don't have a paracorr which sounds like a must with it.

Seems a midpower piece will be a better buy than the panoptic at the moment. Any suggestions around $400? LVW, nagler?

Paddy
14-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Interesting that your experience is so different. Maybe it depends on the barlow. I found mine works well with both GSO 2" 2x and televue 1 1/4" 2x.

tnott
22-04-2009, 06:03 PM
On my 10" F5 dob I use a 36mm Siebert (it's light) for wide open clusters and to find stuff, then usually bypass my 24.5 meade and jump to my 13mm Nagler (96X) for most viewing. I use my 9mm for higher power stuff (140X). Barlow the 13mm for more when it's really still.

If you want to stick to 1&1/4" then a 24 pan plus barlow might be a good choice.