PDA

View Full Version here: : Smart guider system

h0ughy
10-04-2009, 11:55 PM
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-011 has or more to the point does anyone own one of these yet? What is it like?

how do you run it in the field?:help:

Gama
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I have one Houghy.
I use it in my "Away bag" when i only bring my DSLR and telescope.
Sometimes i cant be bothered bring a armada of equipment just to take some images. So i just bring the telescope, Autoguider, DSLR and a Jumper Power box supply.
I setup the telescope, focus the DSLR, focus the guider with the supplied parfocal eyepiece, then replace it with the guider, press a couple of buttons, and begin my session.
Thats it.
I have NEVER needed anything more than 2 seconds exposure for my guide scope to get a star in the field, and in fact 1 second is used more times than anything else.
My images show no trails, and images are real sharp.

The guider has a power in and power out socket, so you can place it in line with your telescopes power. It draws around 110mA, so if you really wanted you can run it off a 9V battery.
The guider head has 1 cable from it to the hand controller.
The hand controller has 1 ST4 guider port, 2 DC connectors for power in and out, and 1 cable to the guider.
Very easy to get going, and on screen details are great.
The eyepiece used to focus the guide star is included, and you just swap the eyepiece with the guider and its in focus for guiding. The eyepiece and guider head are parfocal (Have the same focus position in the focuser).

For people with DSLR's that dont or cant bring a heap of stuff like computers etc, its a blessing. Also those who have unstable PC's, or lock ups, USB hickups, etc, its perfect. Not really meant to replace the normal guider and computer, just an alternative to those that arent computer minded or dont want a birds nest of cabling.

Theo.

h0ughy
11-04-2009, 11:21 PM
thanks for the rap about the guider Theo. I already own a TV guider (http://foto.astronomy.cz/other/TVGuider2_2_eng.pdf), but i wish to run a second mount to do widefield shots (135mm and 200mm lens on the canon 20D with a 80mm short tube scope as the guide scope)

h0ughy
14-04-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-280 http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-011

ok call me stupid – I ordered these two items

there goes my Rudd bonus

allan gould
14-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Be careful David if you use it with your Losmandy mount or a non-digital mount as you will need a relay box to guide with it. The TVguider has built in optocouplers so you dont need the relay box or optocoupler.
Why would I call you stupid? :shrug:

h0ughy
14-04-2009, 02:16 PM
LOL no allan _ have it all worked out - the losmandy gets to use the TV guider and the EQ6 will use this one exclusively.

DeanoNZL
14-04-2009, 03:16 PM
David, Hopefully you are not responsible for all the rain the east coast is getting? :D

Gama
14-04-2009, 06:27 PM
The autoguider has optocoupling as does all correctly specified ST4 ports.
You will fing everyone these days adding a ST4 Port to there cameras or mounts will use optocoupling.

Theo

allan gould
15-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Theo
Sorry but you are completely wrong in this instance. They state on their site as well as information from another vendor, that with "non-digital" or older Losmandy mounts you need the relay box as the guider is NOT optocoupled. They are working on a later version which is optocoupled.
Allan

Gama
15-04-2009, 09:10 PM
The guider is ST4, so NOT TTL level required by the older mounts.
Optocouplers DONT provide TTL levels, so its why they require a relay box.
What normally happens is if the current drive thru the optocoupler is high enough, it may drive the TTL level on the older mounts.
The QHY-5 was exactly the same. it is optocoupled, and the first guiders sold did not work on the older mounts. A mod was made to allow more drive current thru the optocoupler to allow the older mounts to work. Fahim will have info on this, and it was on this forum somewhere.

Again, the older mounts require TTL (Requires Current to work), wheras the newer and correctly specified ST4 port use Optocouplers.

If they dont use optocouplers, then they cant say 100 % ST4 compatible, if they did this, its a bin no no.

Maybe read this :

" FAQs about the LVI SmartGuide

Question concerning the connection of LVI-SmartGuider onto a Losmandy mount
Question: is there any electrical problem like for SBIG cameras connecting to Losmandy autoguider port directly? SBIG for example requires a relay-box adapter to isolate the camera electronics from the mount electronics. Honestly, I don't expect any problem, I only want to be sure so I'm asking this.

Answer: The Losmandy motor drive is fully compatible with our camera and it can plug straight to the autoguide port with no problem. SBIG cameras are requiring the relais box adapter because they draw a 12V current to run the relais box adapter. Look at these documents: "

This was from this vendor .. heres the link http://www.baader-planetarium.de/sektion/s21/lvi_e.htm

Ive read the post from the manufacturer saying...
" Our own Smartguider will work with *ANY* mount equipped with a ST4-like autoguiding port! "

So i would assume either the translation or interpretation of the language may have got a little "Re arranged", anyway, time will tell correctly. But if it isnt isolated, then it CANT be regarded as what they claim.

Theo

allan gould
20-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Gama
As I said you are incorrect in your statements this is an exerpt from LVI cameras in relaton to a query I had about the Losmandy mounts. As you can plainly see they say you need an optocoupler and they are working on making a new model. Helps if you get your facts correct from the manufacturer.
Regards, Allan

Hello Allan,

The old Losmandy #492 drive requires a dedicated optocoupler which is under development by us.
We plan to introduce it by next month.
Stay tuned with our latest news you can find in LVI homepage!

>Data filled in the http://www.lvi-cameras.com/contactus.asp web page
>from IP 122.104.135.100 browser and operating system Mozilla/4.0
>(compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR
>2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; InfoPath.2; OptusNetCable-02;
>OptusNetCable-02)
>
>Name = Allan Gould
>email = ########
>Phone = na
>CCD = on
>Note = I was interested in your LVI standalone autoguider. I have an older style Losmandy mount which when used with an SBIG camera needs a relay box or an optocoupler. Will I still need to use the optocoupler with your guider or is it NOT NECESSARY?
>Many thanks for your time
>Allan Gould

Gama
20-04-2009, 04:50 PM
As i said, if they dont use an optocoupler, they shouldnt say its 100% ST4 compatible. Plus i placed a link to read, which they claim it to work fine with Losmandy mounts.

That is all i can go by.

Theo

allan gould
21-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Theo
Its annoying when manufacturers make an off-hand comment which doesn't truely represent what they are selling. Cavet emptor! Adds to confusion and probable equipment damage - anyway at least they are addressing the problem