PDA

View Full Version here: : Rs-232

Shaun
09-04-2009, 01:13 AM
I wanted to hear peoples solutions for this port since most computers and laptops don't have one and half the mounts and cameras need the port what are the options?

If you have particular parts could you provide me with IDs so i know what i am looking for.

P.S. Would this be ok to use http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OZ-USB-2-0-TO-RS-232-SERIAL-9-Pin-ADAPTER-CABLE-DB9_W0QQitemZ220391124822QQcmdZView ItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item220 391124822&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1% 7C240%3A1318

MrB
09-04-2009, 01:32 AM
There are USB-232 converters, from what I have read people have had mixed results with them.
Jaycar electronics have one, cat# XC4834

Shaun
09-04-2009, 01:39 AM
I was looking on ebay i might be better to buy a controller card for my pc only good if i am going to perm mount the setup.

acropolite
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
There has been a lot of diuscussion on this topic in past threads, for USB, I use the Aten one, they are around $25, I have found it works with everything I have thrown at it.
Often it's necessary to get in to the device properties and turn off the FIFO buffer option as that can cause problems.

I believe Bintel also has a good quality USB/RS232 adapter.

Robert9
09-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I got a cable from Computer Parts Land in Melbourne. www.cpl.net.au (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/www.cpl.net.au) Its called a USB to Serial Adapter. It cost $19 and came with a driver on a CD. You'll find it listed under Controller & Acc. on p1 of their catalogue. It works fine on my Nexstar.
Robert

rogerg
09-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I would steer well clear of the ebay and standard ones in consumer electronics stores. Many won't work. I never got a Belkin one to work that I have.

I use the Aten one to connect my Losmandy GM8 to my Vista laptop.

Threads like this one will be useful to you:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=36816
Using Vista I have found things work quite well providing I keep the configuration of USB hubs and converter in the same arrangement. That is, the USB 2 Serial converter plugged in to the same port on the USB hub and the USB hub plugged in to the same port on the laptop. That way the serial port number stays the same and Vista doesn't have a problem recognising it without a reboot being required. Realising this has made my life much easier.

In my observatory my PC has 4 ports via expansion cards.

Roger.

gary
09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Shaun,

Supporting customers around the world daily, I have an enormous deal of exposure to
USB to Serial solutions.

Based on the feedback of an very large numbers of customers who have tried
all brands out there, many just don't reliably work in all applications. A good
USB Serial Adapter is a combination of good hardware and a good driver.
However, the USB Serial Adapters manufactured by Keyspan have proven
to be absolutely reliable is all applications. In fact, in order to reduce support
calls, we stock them ourselves and sell them at near cost.

One can go out and buy other Adapters at a fraction of the cost, but chances
of them reliably working are just as fractional.

See this post here -
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=358013&postcount=31

Specifically I recommend the Keyspan USA-19HS.
See http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au/usb_describe.html
Buy it from anywhere that sells it. We happen to stock it to support our
astronomical customers, but routinely sell them to hospitals, the mining industry,
Sydney to Hobart Yacht skippers, veterinarians, scuba divers and various companies
involved with manufacturing.

Where I believe some of the other solutions come unstuck is their handling of small
byte transfers is not handled properly. Where a previous poster noted having to
turn off a FIFO buffer option on an another brand has alarm bells ringing as that is
a tell tale sign that the driver is probably not flushing its buffers properly. However,
the Keyspan Adapter gets it right and you don't need to horse around with it.

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Managing Director
Wildcard Innovations Pty. Ltd.
20 Kilmory Place, Mount Kuring-Gai
NSW. 2080. Australia
Phone +61-2-9457-9049
Fax +61-2-9457-9593
sales@wildcard-innovations.com.au
http://www.wildcard-innovations.com.au

Robert9
09-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Using Vista I have found things work quite well providing I keep the configuration of USB hubs and converter in the same arrangement. ......

Roger,

You're using Vista???? Maybe that's why your Belkin doesn't work.

How well do your other programs work with it? Interesting that yet another new version of Windows is soon to be released, whereas XP has survived quite a long time, and is still the preferred OS by many.

Robert

Shaun
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I think the Aten adapter might be the go, good price and good reports, the keyspan looks good but a bit more on price, i will get a controller card for the pc

Starkler
09-04-2009, 12:44 PM
If talking about a desktop pc , why not get a proper hardware rs-232 card?

rogerg
09-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Overall I have no problems with Vista on my laptop. I'm not saying I prefer it or not and I have absolutely no interest in debating it. I use XP on my other PCs. DSLRFocus didn't work in Vista, but it's a good thing I've moved on to Nebulosity 2 as overall it's a big improvement.

Roger.

Shaun
09-04-2009, 01:45 PM
I will, i need both.

acropolite
09-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I suspect it's more to do with timing than flushing of the buffers, it's a fairly common technique to turn off the FIFO buffers, I've been using that technique for years on all sorts of comms applications and on all types of com ports, if the application is behaving badly it's my first port of call.

Robert9
09-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Roger,
Fair 'nuff. Long as it all works.
Robert

mozzie
09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
hi shaun i have just gone through this problem and i bought one of ebay and it didnt work on vista so they refunded me luckly i was on the gold coast and was looking for a keyspan i had read them on earlier posts while a star optics i asked of them and i didnt know that meade made one very resambly priced and worked on all windows formates so there is another option for you
mozzie

ozstockman
10-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Shaum,

you can add bluetooth to your pc and then use RS232 to bluetooth adapter to get all serial communication over air.

Just look for threads here with "bluetooth" keywords and check ebay for "serial bluetooth".

Some guys from here including myself are using these adapters to control EQ6 wirelessly from PCs. The same method should work for any devices where serial communication is required.

cheers,

Mike