PDA

View Full Version here: : Chuffed with these two bits of gear!

Screwdriverone
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi All,

Just thought I would share my experiences with two pieces of gear that I was "allowed" to buy recently;

The Pentax XF 8.5mm Eyepiece and the GSO Laser Collimator.

Firstly, the Pentax 8.5mm XF (which is designed originally to suit Pentax spotting scopes).

After a poll that I recently posted regarding choices of some sub 10mm eyepieces in the mid price range highlighted some very positive thoughts on the Pentax XF, I decided to buy this EP to complement my current collection.

Its primary purpose was for high contrast views of Saturn and other planets and in this respect, its absolutely AWESOME! Without a barlow, and at 176X mag in my 1500mm scope, there is MORE detail visually on Saturn than I can normally see with the CCD camera and a 2.5x APO barlow!

The stars in a given field are ALL clean and crisp with no hint of coma on my F5 scope all the way to the edge of the FOV. The 20mm eye relief and the superb twist up eyecup, together with the 60 deg FOV make it a pleasure to use.

And don't get me started on the MOON! :eyepop:

With the 2.5x APO barlow and the XF 8.5mm yielding 440x Magification, the details on the crater's rims and objects like the Straight Wall are absolutely stunning with little or no false colour fringing from the barlow being introduced visually. The quality of the SMC coating and the "warmth" of the image are simply superb!

Using this eyepiece with the barlow on Sirius, I was able to, for the first time ever, see Sirius B "the Pup" trailing its searing companion and that was a buzz and a half, let me tell you!

If you have a fast newtonian, or I suspect ANY telescope would suit, then I thoroughly recommend the Pentax XF 8.5mm Eyepiece for only $229. I bought mine from Frontier Optics and it arrived very well packed and in no time flat and Bintel also sell this for the same price. (I have no affiliation with either dealer)

I suspect a lot of the performance from the Pentax XF was also due to the fact that I splashed out ($59 :lol: ) for a laser collimator to try and nail down my collimation on the flex dob.

My decision to by the collapsible 12" has paid dividends as collimation on this scope with a laser collimator is an absolute DODDLE!

First, I put the collimator in the 1.25" adaptor and turned it on. What I noticed straight away was the laser wasn't hitting close to the middle of the secondary mirror. 15 seconds later, the secondary was adjusted to suit the laser spot.

Secondly, a glance down the tube (shielded of course!) showed the secondary wasn't aligned properly to point the laser at the primary mirror centre ring, 20 seconds of allen key work fixed that!

Now, with the laser pointed firmly at the primary centre and the secondary centre, it was time to head down the 1500mm to the bottom of the tube and adjust the primary tilt to point the laser return "up its own path". This is where it gets EVEN easier! Because the secondary mirror is visible from the outside of the tube, the primary return spot on the secondary mirror is quite noticable and can be adjusted extremely easily using the primary mirror screws by looking at the two dots and "homing" the return spot back onto the initial spot coming from the laser. Try doing that with a solid tube!!!

Once the two dots overlapped (or probably more to the point, became ONE dot) a quick check on the 45 deg silvered window on the laser collimator showed the return beam had "scattered" because it had re-entered right into the middle hole on the collimator which indicated it was SPOT ON.

Considering the collimation with a cheshire was WAY out compared to the laser and the fact that EVERY time I needed to collimate, it was a two person process that often took 30-35 mins to get right, the purchase of the laser collimator is probably the most impressive improvement to my arsenal of ever growing accessories to date! TOTAL time to collimate was 4 minutes!

After about 1-2 hours of visual observing the other night (with my mouth agape at the difference in clarity!) I popped the laser back in and did a quick check, noticed it had drifted a bit (due to me not locking the transit screws on the primary enough), so I adjusted it again in 15 seconds and went back to looking through my new eyes again.

All in all, for less than $300 all up, I have now DOUBLED or even tripled my enjoyment levels on the new scope.

Do yourselves a favour and definitely invest in a laser collimator and if the budget allows, I highly recommend the Pentax XF 8.5mm for visual enjoyment in any scope.

(A special thank you to John B (Ausastronomer) and the other friends who contributed a LOT of valuable information to help me select this eyepiece from my poll thread, it just goes to show you how much knowledge is locked within this great website's walls)

Thanks for reading and cheers for now

Chris

toryglen-boy
08-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Chris

Yeah, i have the exact same collimator and telescope! after a few attempts, getting it all centered is an absolute breeze, although TBH the only issue i have with it, is the compression ring on the Crayford isnt very good, so when tightening up the grub screw the collimator can sometimes be pushed over at an angle, if you know what i mean.

Glad to hear your having a blast. I was speaking with Skywatcher distribution yesterday, and there will be a 16" before the end of the year ..

so thats where i am headed.

;)

erick
08-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Now that's some excitement there, Chris!

Perhaps I should get one of these Pentax thingies? Be better than my Vixen LVs, I expect.

Yes, I spotted this with a 16" strut and thought - that's neat! (Yes, no easy way to do that with a solid tube!)

GeoffW1
08-04-2009, 11:47 AM
We drainpipe dob owners are ignoring you ;)

But it is good to hear of your success with the new gear

Cheers

erick
08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
You need a Hotech! http://www.hotechusa.com/collimator.html :thumbsup:

toryglen-boy
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
shhhh !!!

this was gonna be my excuse to buy the 16" when its out !!

;)

h45e
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Ive ordered my hotech, but been over 3 weeks and still havent got it yet.... GRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

andrew2008
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
16" by the end of the year:D Better start saving now, donations gladly taken:sadeyes:

Good to see you love the 8.5mm EP. Seems pentax are on the money with all their pieces. Have read so many great things about it you may have me convinced to take it over the stratus 8mm.

Screwdriverone
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Oooh, I just realised that I inadvertantly involved myself on Friday night in the 100 hours of Astronomy by showing my neighbours the cosmos through the SW Flex Dob in the front yard. They were absolutely astonished at Saturn and Omega Centauri, M41 and Sombrero, even with the street lights spoiling the views of Leo Triplet and some of the other fuzzy DSO's in the moonlight. Well, I am doubly chuffed now I have contributed to the IYA2009 as well! Yay for me!

Hi Duncan,

I dont seem to have this problem, maybe something in the batch? Remember also, mine is white where I think yours is the BD livery?

I dont think I will be contemplating ANY purchases for a few years at least after my recent run of economy supporting that I have been doing all in aid of the country, of course! :thumbsup:

Hope to see the 16" collapsible when you get one, are you thinking of the DSC equipped/motor driven one, or just the massive standard 16"?

Ha Ha, yes after rereading it, you certainly can see how excited I am, it almost sounds like an infomercial.....but wait there's more! Pentax XF was an awesome buy, as I mentioned, John sent me some very experienced info regarding it and he certainly knows his stuff, also because he headed me off at the pass from making an impulsive decision rather than an educated one. Not sure of whether the Vixen LV and LVW's are about the same performance or not, but they were also a close contender during my considerations. Bang for Buck, the XF wins hands down in my opinion now that I have one (and havent been able to compare, but you know what I mean).

Secondary mirror collimation and ease of primary tilt checking is sooooooo easy now its hard to wipe the smile off my face when I think of the struggles before are now gone.

:lol: Thanks Geoff, its surprising how much difference it makes. I almost bought a drainpipe, with the thought of future proofing re mounting on an EQ later, but the technohead in me couldnt resist the collapsible's functionality and portability. Its just so cooooool!

Cheers

Chris

toryglen-boy
08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
yeah, mine has the black sparkly thing happening, i think just the ordinary job, with an Argo Navis, but the 16" scope is still some months out, and i would like to stick to SW, and dont really fancy a Meade Lightbridge

its aperture fever, i need to go to the quacks ....

good news though on the eyepiece, i might have to invest in some after your recommendation, purely as you have the same scope! i have some Meade 4000 plossls, and while not in the same league as the pentax, they are getting me by just now

:thumbsup:

Screwdriverone
08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Duncan,

Yes, as you probably read, the XF is supoib! (that's superb with a crappy New Jersey accent)

One thing I will say though.....now that the scope is excellently collimated thanks to the laser, the XF (8.5mm for $229) and the Andrews ED 12.5mm ($69) arent THAT far apart in performance to potentially warrant the extra $160 dollars if your budget is tight. I mean, I havent really given the XF a workout as much as I have with the 12.5mm, but as a comparison I switched between the two often whilst observing Saturn and they were close enough to matter a fair bit when it comes to the hip pocket difference.

Wouldnt change my XF for anything though, it really is a beautiful bit of kit. It really oozes quality in its construction and the twist up eyecup is very handy for people unaccustomed to how close to look so they dont bump the scope by bashing their head against the EP. The colour is very natural also and as I said, the views of Saturn at 176x without a barlow were crisp as a minted $100 note.

Don't forget the steak knives......;)

Cheers

Chris

wavelandscott
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
As you were suggesting in your comparison between the Pentax XF and some other eyepieces...there is a difference (sometimes small) but that last 5-10% improvement is where the cost is.

That is why I generally recommend to people who are starting out to use what they have or save for the good stuff. The "middle" gains little (some exceptions apply) but cost.

The more you use the Pentax (and similar) you will notice other subtle differences that enhance your viewing experience. Each individually criteria of the eyepeice may only be a small improvement over the standard but in total it will be (become) even more enjoyable to use...

marki
09-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Glad you like the Pentex EP Chris they really are excellent. May I suggest that you point your "drain pipe" at 47 TUC with the 8.5mm EP on a dark night. Make sure you tie a rope around your waist because you are going to fall right into that spiral.

Mark

Starkler
09-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Glad you are liking the Pentax, i knew you would ;)

As for the laser, as a sanity check you should check the aim at the centre mirror donut, then rotate the laser in the focuser and check again. Its likely to be out by some 5-10mm and you will have to collimate your collimator.
The distance error divided by 2 will be the actual collimation error once its doubled back on itself by primary mirror aiming.

One of the big differences between cheap and expensive lasers is the quality of that alignment from the factory.

Screwdriverone
09-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks Geoff,

I was going to ask about that, I wasn't too keen on playing with it for now, but sooner or later I should check it out.

Thanks for reminding me.

Cheers

Chris

HOTECH
09-04-2009, 04:09 AM
Sorry to hear the delay delivery. We have been getting great response from users globally and trying to catch up the demands. Which dealer did you order from? Currently we have two Australian dealers (www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au (http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au), and www.binarysystems.com.au (http://www.binarysystems.com.au)). Let me know and we will try to speed them up for you.

Cheers
David

h45e
09-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Just got my hotech last night, and my god my scope was out of wack. If the moon pic that i took was taken with a telescope like that. I cant wait to take some photo's with my telescope now