PDA

View Full Version here: : great budget binoculars!

janoskiss
22-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Today I received a pair of Celestron 10x50 UpClose binoculrars I ordered from centre.net.au.

I checked them out and compared them to my Fujinon 8x42s aimed at the night sky under thin cloud cover. I must say that these are a very good pair for the low price of $65. Fully coated with no dodgy ruby lenses, it seems to work exceptionally well. Mechanically it's also very good. Internal reflections on neighbours' windows were its main shortcomings, when I compared it with my Fujinons. But on the night sky, even when compared with the Fujinons costing about 5 times as much, they did extremely well.

Pity there is no 7x50 or 8x40 model. It's 7x35 or 10x50. And in case you're wondering, I cannot do any more tests on it, because it's been handed onto its intended owner.

johnno
22-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Hi All,
Steve,
These received a fairly good review,several months ago in the Sky and Space Magazine.
I just checked,it was the july/Aug 2004 issue
A possible Good buy, for anyone looking for Budget Binoculars.
Regards.John

ving
22-09-2005, 09:25 AM
i probably should get some binos some time...
oh well.
thanks guys, i'll keep these in mind :)

Starkler
22-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I find 7x50's have too big an exit pupil giving a greyish rather than black sky background, especially in light poluted conditions. Many recommend 10x50 for hand held astro binos, YMMV.

janoskiss
22-09-2005, 08:31 PM
That's the advice I was given too Geoff about exit pupil of 7mm being good for youngsters but not for people over 40, because the pupil does not dilate to 7mm. But 10x is a bit tough to hand-hold, and 7x35 is bit underpowered wrt aperture.

Iddon
22-09-2005, 11:07 PM
yep - I can vouch for that set of Binos too :)

johnno
23-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Hi All,
Just ordered a set myself,$65.00 is a good price,
I have never dealt with Centre.net.au before,but the review in sky and space mag last year,mentioned these were one of the better cheapies.
They were $89.00 back then.
IF,I will repeat that again,IF,the fov is a true, 7 deg as claimed,(And I intend to check it), then these should be one of the widest fov ,lightweight 10x Binoculars I have seen.
Should be reasonable,for many daytime uses,and Astronomy as well.
Glad I ordered them,I REALLY need another pair of binos.
Hope Kathy doesn't read this.
Regards.John

Lee
23-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Looking through the neighbours windows???? Some people don't like that!

But.... but..... I was just checking my binoculars your honour!!! :innocent:

janoskiss
23-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Johnno, FOV is more like 6.5 degrees, I think.

Thiink
23-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I was looking at a set of the 10x50 UpClose binoculars, but decided against them because I couldnt find any reviews of them online.. now you go and post this! Bah, damn you janoskiss! I was going to get them sent over with an Amazon order I did, they were only going to cost me $35.37AU (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CAOGV/qid=1127434857/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6122070-7912726?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846) on top of the order. I should have got them :(.

They also have the OptiView range, including a pair with some funky LPR filter (http://www.adorama.com/CN1050LO.html) in them. They would still be under $100 AU delivered, wonder what they are like.

I ended up ordering some 11x56's from AOE, hopefully I am happy with them.

johnno
23-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi All,
Steve,
Thanks for the info re 6.5 deg fov,Thats about what I thought,its pretty typical for bino fov to be overstated.

Simon,
I am pretty sure you will like the 11x56,I have a pair, also bought from A.O.E,
and I am very happy with them,a little heavy perhaps, for hand holding for any extended period,but nice bright views,and its not hard to find an old broom,tip it upside down,and rest them on that.
Regards.John

janoskiss
23-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Only looking at them, Lee! :D It's not my fault if they're transparent. :P It was the only vaguely bright thing to look at. :P

ving
23-09-2005, 12:37 PM
your neighbours glow? :confused:

my neighbours arent worth perving on...

janoskiss
23-09-2005, 12:41 PM
:doh: looking at them... I meant the windows... :P
Yeah good one! Glowing martian neighbours. :rofl:

johnno
23-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Hi all,
Well,
I have to say one thing,centre.net.au is very fast.
My Celestron up close 10x50s arrived this afternoon about 3.30 pm via courier.
I only ordered them yesterday afternoon,and they had to come from Melbourne,Doesn,t get much better than that.
I havent had much of a chance to check them out properly yet,
Steve,
You are about spot on, the fov is about 6.5 deg,possibly a little more,They fit the Southern Cross in,with room to spare,(not much).
Totally unimpressed with the packaging,it reeked of el cheapo,with the binoculars in a plastic moulded package,and the carry bag in a little box underneath.
That said so far, they dont seem too bad at all,views are nice and bright,stars are sharp almost all the way.
it appears the eyepieces are not coated at all,with what looks like a light blue coating on the objectives.
High end they are NOT.
They are not even in the same street as the 11x56,But,they are lightweight for a quick grab and go,and at the price,I wont cry tears of blood,if they get dropped by me,or one of the Grandkids.

janoskiss
24-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Johnno, yes the packaging does look very cheap at first, but the moulded plastic does the job of protecting the binos very well. And I was pleased to see the carry bag tucked away behind the cardboard.

The AOE 11x56s are a different KOF with the best coatings (if they're anything like the 7x50s). They also cost nearly double the price of the 10x50 UpClose.

johnno
24-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Hi Steve,
You are quite correct,it IS unfair to compare these to the much dearer 11x56s from A.O.E,and as you say the packaging did protect them quite well,
I was not putting them down,I was just a little surprised to see the blister pack.
Regards.John

janoskiss
24-09-2005, 01:46 AM
Yeah, my first reaction was the same as yours John. :)