PDA

View Full Version here: : Need some help guys!!

Kepler 2009
31-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I am a new member of this forums society. I've always had a very keen interest in astronomy and space since a kid. I've never had a telescope in my life, but I plan to buy one soon. My main interests are planets and nebulae.

Any suggestions on which scope should I buy as a beginner.

Thanks very much

:help:

iceman
31-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Amit
Welcome to IceInSpace! Great to have you onboard!

What's your budget?

It's hard to go past suggesting an 8" or 10" dobsonian, which is a great starter scope, not too expensive, easy to use and great for planets and nebulae (and much more!).

TJD
31-03-2009, 11:15 PM
icemans right a 10"-12" $500 2nd hand for 10" and $1500 12" brand new
skywatcher modles any way

wavelandscott
31-03-2009, 11:45 PM
First, Welcome to IIS...

Second, take your hands away from your wallet!

Before you spend any money, contact the local Astronomy Club and get to a viewing night. Take a look at the variety of scopes available and talk to the owners to see what they like/don't like about their gear. Also ask them how much they have spent.

Some clubs even have "loner" scopes so you can try one out before you buy.

If all of that fails, get in contact with Houghy, I beleive that he has a sample of every kind of scope ever made...he can arrange a private viewing at his secret storage location (unknown to his wife) ;).

Seriously, get out and see some scopes before you buy your Dobsonian Reflector!:D

Kepler 2009
01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Iceman,

Thanks for the reply. I dont mind spending a few extra dollars to get a scope that will last me for a few years. I think owning a telescope is a good investement of your interest and hobby so I would mind spending big.

Cheers

Kepler 2009
01-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Scott,

I totally agree with you about viewing and trying before buying. And that is why I've joined a society and will be going for a viewing night soon. What scopes do you own and do you find it difficult to maintain it?

Cheers

erick
01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
OK, it's time to define "big" Amit! :)

toryglen-boy
01-04-2009, 10:46 AM
welcome !!

be aware, once this pastime bites you big, you will need your own goldmine, or bottomless pockets.

;)

Kepler 2009
01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Eric,

big = not more than $5000

toryglen-boy
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
$5K !?!?!?

:scared:

you are my new best friend

;)

Kepler 2009
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
why do u say tat..?/???

;)

erick
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
With that budget, I would think that you either go for a pretty big light-bucket - reflector on dobsonian mount with the potential for pointing computer and driven axes to allow goto and tracking, or you decide now that you want to do some serious astrophotography in the future and invest in a reasonable size refractor on a solid EQ mount. It usually seems to be an either/or decision. I haven't observed many people putting a big reflector on a solid EQ mount, then taking it off from time to time onto a dob mount for visual.

You are above entry-level with that budget, but it probably means more decisions are to be made. Enjoy! :)

barx1963
01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Had a look through a 16" Lightbridge with a 13mm Etos EP on Friday night, absolutely awesome. If I had $5k to spend that is the direction I would head in. Maybe not the Meade but definately something in the 15" - 16" dob range. Then start saving a an Argo Navis. The fella that had the LB was from suburban melb and he was wuite emphatic that he needed that sort of size to see anything at home.

wavelandscott
01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I am glad that you plan on doing some veiwing before buying :thumbsup:.

I have 3 scopes at present...

An 8" Bintel (GSO) Dobsonian mounted Reflector,
12.5" Discovery Truss Style Dobsonian mounted Reflector,
Skywatcher ED80 Refractor with Bintel Skyview Alt Az Mount

I started with the 8 inch reflector and got "the fever" for more light gathering capacity and eventually got the 12.5 inch truss dob (purchased second hand). Both are "easy" for me to move by myself and use. The truss dob also is set up to use an Argo Navis...great addition (and Australian)! Combined with an adjustable height chair and some good wide field eyepieces I am happy with what I have.

At some point I'll probably upgrade again but I don't think that I'll go any bigger than about 15 inches...I want to view with my feet on the ground or seated...that is my preference and while I don't mind an occasional climb up the ladder of to look through someone's telescope, I know as much as I would love the extra light gathering ability, I'd never get a really big scope out often enough.

They are both easy to maintain and set-up. I am strictly a visual observer...while I enjoy seeing the images other people create, I've never felt the need to pursue that side of the hobby. The ED80 is handy to look at the moon and occassionally do some solar observing...I share all of my scopes with my kids and encourage them to have a go with them. They believe that the 8 inch and the refractor "belong" to them.

With your target budget you can get a pretty good scope and some very good eyepieces. That would be a strategy that matches my own bias and path into the hobby, I started with a modest 8 inch (a good entry level scope) that I used often (easy in and out on a hand trolley) and bought high quality eyepieces one at a time. As my experience level and tastes grew and matured, I added additional eyepieces and "upgraded" my scope to a larger Discovery brand scope. I really like globular clusters...

A lot of people will encourage you to get a large scope and while "size is king" it does you no good to have a whopping big scope if you only get it out once or twice a year.

Spend to your interest and not to your budget.

Take your time and explore the different set-ups that other people have and then buy with confidence.

Good Luck!

Kepler 2009
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Scott,

Thats a really good piece of information you have given me about chosing my first telescope. I've heard from a lot of people about the 8" Dob. Well initially I was and maybe I am still keen on a 12" dob. But as you said it again depends upon the size.. I dont want to get a really massive elephant and never take it out. I'd rather go for a medium sized one which is quite portable.

Also another question, should I be looking at a specific brand for dobs or u think all are equal?

Cheers

wavelandscott
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Hard to give you a definitive answer and there are many people that develop a "brand loyalty"...I've got a "plain vanilla" reflector badged as Bintel but manufactured by GSO.

Most of the entry level reflecting telescopes (refractors now too) will be manufactured in Tawain or China (or both) and may even come from the same factory...

Some may use pyrex mirrors and others a different type of glass...there are some technical differences in thermal expansion (cool down) between glass and pyrex but in the moderate climate of Sydney/Newcastle, I wouldn't think this would be a big issue.

Fans on the mirror to help cool down and scrub the boundary layers are also nice to have...

The dobsonian mounts (bases) are made from particle board and are the "weak link" especially in the larger sized scopes (they can be a little too flexible with a heavy scope when you want rigidness in your mount)...there is also the concern about longevity if used regularly (they are particle board and getting them wet will decrease their life span)...This should not be an immediate problem in my opinion.

A crayford style focuser is a nice addition (most I think have this standard now) and better than a Rack and Pinion style. Finder scopes...some have right angle finders...I removed my finder scope and use a Telrad (my preference).

So in short, I don't think there is a lot of difference between brands...

For me, I was as interested in the service and support of the local retailer as the brand I bought.

While others may disagree, I value the advice I received from retailers... Heck, they (in this case Bintel) even showed me how to collimate my scope before I got it home. While I understood the "theoretical" process, it gave me a lot more confidence to collimate with them in the store the first time. They also answered a lot of questions for me and offered some sound advice. That to me was worth a fair amount.

Cheers,

Shaun
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
But if you want a good scope cheaper go to andrews communications in

TJD
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
$5000 will get you any scope that i would have got my 6inche cost me $2000 and my 12inche cost me $1500 brand new mate with $5000 you could get a 16" and a 12":thumbsup:

tnott
05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
The commercial dobs in the 8-12inch range are good value for money. Add an Argo navis computer and you have a good "push to" system.

The 16" models are bulky and heavy to move, as well as having various problems to do with the old-fashioned design and cheap particle board mount.

For $5000 you could also get a computerised cassegrain from Meade or Celestron. Maybe the LX 90? Then you have Goto and tracking.

But better to go to a few viewing nights and try the different types of scopes to see what you like first, as others have wisely said.

hilb
07-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Definitely join a club and use their equipment and check out everyone else's before you spend any money. Find out what you are most comfortable with, cos if you're not comfortable you won't use it. My first scope was a newt on an eq mount and after a few months I hated it and basically stopped using it. Took me three years to buy another one, but I have an 8" dob now and absolutely love it. And use it all the time.

Dob, eq mount, refractor, go-to, they all feel and handle very differently, so getting to play with them all before you put your hand in your pocket is imperative.

Cheers,
HilB...:)

leinad
07-04-2009, 02:18 AM
I'd also recommend a dob, either 8", 10" or 12" depending on your wallet, needs, ambitions, and strength.

They are also a great way to get to know the sky, practice star hopping, learn the targets and constellations.

Down the track, you could get some rings, and dovetail bar, and a mount.

Dont forget you'll want a few eyepieces too, and maybe a good cheap barlow lens.

And as already mentioned; check out the scopes and prices at a shop if possible, and tag along to the local club night to see how the scopes work, and get a feel for what you'll be able to see.

Hope you enjoy your new scope whatever you choose :)