PDA

View Full Version here: : dead CG5

spearo
30-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Hello,
I haven't fired up the old CG5 since i acquired the G11.

Would you believe it, next weekend, friends from work are coming over and I thought i'd reinstall the C9.25 on the CG5 for visual as a second scope stuff but alas, it appears dead...

I've ensured the battery is powered up
tried different cables, wiggled them, etc., no go.

I even opened up the casing to see inside and nothing appears burnt out, all circuits look good.

Ensured the power connecting pin fits nice and snug etc...

this one's beyond me (ok, admittedly it doesn't take much...)

My fear now is if i need to return the CG5 for Celestron to inspect/repair...the shipping costs alone will probably be more than the value of the mount.

Shame because it was actually a good little performer.

Any ideas?
frank

sheeny
30-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Is it completely dead, Frank?

A while ago, I had a problem where it all powered up but motors wouldn't drive. If that's all it is I'll find the thread.

Al.

sheeny
30-03-2009, 08:27 PM
This any help?

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39409&highlight=CG-5

Al.

sheeny
30-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Check your battery voltage too, Frank. I had a jump starter pack that dropped a cell which threw me for a little while.:rolleyes: It had enough voltage to light up LEDs abut not enough to drive my lappy. I bought a new 12V air travel adapter for no good reason...:doh::whistle:

Al.

spearo
30-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Al, appreciate the reply and pointing me to the thread but
sadly this isnt the problem, the power just doesn't come on at all (little red led light wont even come on).
I also did the spreading the power pin etc
but still...
i'm kinda giving up i think
I suspect the problem must be with the little chips inside since no obvious burns appear to be on the circuit board?
frank

acropolite
30-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Frank, for what it's worth, most problems (when equipment is dead after long periods of inactivity) are caused by dried out (electrolytic) capacitors.

Often the capacitors will have crusty deposits or stains around the base at the PCB, sometimes the tops bulge slightly.

Usually replacing the dried out component will bring the cct back to life. :bashcomp:

Another thing to look out for is dry joints around any RJ sockets and the power connector to PCB solder joints.

spearo
30-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks Phil,
will have another look
maybe i should send the 2 little boards to some electronic guru to have a proper look at
thanks
frank

entity62
31-03-2009, 02:12 AM
power switch on CG-5's have a habit of dying...They are best left on, and power cord pulled out too turn off..
Over at the yahoo group for Celestron Advance series has some advice on it.. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Celestron_AS/

spearo
31-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks Entity,
ill have a closer look at the switch
nice to see i'm not the only one with the problem!
thanks
frank

sheeny
31-03-2009, 07:44 AM
OK.

My money's on the switch at this stage.

Al.

Barrykgerdes
31-03-2009, 09:00 AM
There is not much to go wrong with those simple drive devices. If there is no light up the fault should be quickly located with a multimeter. Is there a fuse. Look for this first. Next test the voltage either side of the on/off switch, those simple switches aren't very robust. Next look for broken wires. Then look on the boards for shorted capacitors. I would say bring it round but you are too far away.

Barry

spearo
31-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the offer Barry!
Entity got it in one!

It was the switch (i thought everything else looked ok)
I wiggled it pulled pshed et until i saw the red LED come on
now taking the power lead in and out seems the best way to manage the issue!

All good
my friends will get to use a secondary scope on the weekend

Many thanks for all your good advice guys!

your tops!

frank:thumbsup:

sheeny
31-03-2009, 07:05 PM
It's good to know the world is a good and wholesome place again for you, Frank!

Al.

spearo
31-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks to this good and wholesome community
I love this place!
Go IIS and all its members!
frank