PDA

View Full Version here: : Big Binoculars - suggestions

synthguy
29-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my current binoculars (Fumiyama 11x70s) to a '25x100' type binocs for use with a parallelogram binocular mount. I've got a budget of about $700, and plan on purchasing something around late April.

I've noted various brands on websites - Orion 25x100s, Andrews 25x100s, and Celestron Skymaster 25x100s (over my budget), Saxon 22x100s.

I'd be grateful if anyone could advise what is the best large binoculars for astronomy given the amount of money I want to spend. They will be mainly used for hunting down DSOs, in conjunction with my Orion Optics 14" f4.5 dob.

Malcolm

Dennis
29-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi Malcolm

Just some thoughts. A decent, commercial parallelogram mount to handle “giant” binoculars will probably cost you at least between $700 and $1000 alone!:eyepop:

I built a parallelogram mount (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-383-0-0-1-0.html)for my Vixen 30x125 bino’s and found it almost as time consuming to set up as my ‘scope and mount, so it doesn’t get used too much.:(

Unless the mounting system is solid, easy to set up, balance and use, I suspect it will be more of a hindrance than a help?:shrug:

Cheers

Dennis

PS – the 45 degree eyepiece arrangement on the Vixen 30x25’s are fantastic for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. I suspect that straight through would not be suitable for astronomical observing at altitudes over say, 60 degrees?

dannat
29-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I agree,i would be inclined to buy a big bino with it's own mount & skip the p-mount, do you want straight thru or 45 deg viewing

As for those brands i think there are only 2 chinese factories making big bins and so they come from either - i would buy from the retailer who checks their binos individually for collimation/misalignment etc

PCH
29-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Malcolm,

I agree with the previous comments about the stability and other issues with the parallelogram mount. Instead, I opted for the Manfrotto 3258 tripod which is rock solid, and comes with a very fast central winding handle for altering height. The whole thing including shipping was $580 (US$) including shipping from www.bigbinoculars.com .

This tripod is for use with the Oberwerk 45 degree binoculars, and you would be able to buy a couple of models down for less weighty binocs.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Robh
29-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a parallelogram binocular mount which I made out of square aluminium tubing. With the weight of the mount and binoculars you need a solid tripod with all metal fittings; plastic fittings are not stable enough. It works well but I never use it just for myself. Parallelogram mounts are designed for viewing by a group e.g kids and adults of various sizes so they can all view the same object with a simple swing up or down of the mount.
I don't have binoculars anywhere near as large as the ones you want. I have a pair of 9 x 63mm Orion Mini Giants which are fantastic. Maybe, test out one of the larger Orions. Whatever you buy, test it out first. You can tell straight away if they are miscollimated.
Good hunting!

dannat
29-03-2009, 08:41 PM
sorry - amendment of the binos you mention I would take the orion giants(get good reviews US), or else would give AOE a call - the celestron's are over-priced imo

h0ughy
29-03-2009, 08:50 PM
do a search on IIS somewhere i have some stuff on the 100mm binos i have and the Bintel parallelogram mount as well..... oh and through the magic of the web here they are (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=25671&highlight=bintel+binocular+mount)

Satchmo
29-03-2009, 08:56 PM
I've got the generic 25 X 100 's that everyone is selling: got them new at last years SPSP off the back of a truck for $300 literally . I think optically they are great ( a bit of false colour in the daytime , but virtually invisible at night). I have a Quickfinder mounted on one side .

From Berowra , Sydney I see Omega Centauri breaking out into stars with averted vision, the dust lane in galaxy 5128, the nebulous loop over M42 and the beautiful edge on spiral galaxy Ngc 4945 in Centaurus. I have a generic paralleogram mount from Bintel on a Surveyors tripod. I would not bother to own a pair of 25 X 100's which need serious mounting unless I had at least a semi dark sky like I have ( ie Large Magalennic Cloud LMC easily visible direct vision at zenith )

Anything above 60 degrees gives me a serious pain in the neck with this straight through type. I love these 25 X 100 but I will not stop now until I can obtain a pair of 25 X 100 binos with 45 degree bend and 1.25" eyepiece holders like the BT 100 on a sturdy Paralelogram mount. A standard tripod with raisable head would still spoil the natural motion of sweeping the Milky Way but I'm open to pursuasion on that .

The `grab and go' ethic of these semi telescope instruments really suits me, and allows me to keep in touch with the Universe without too much time or trouble involved. I am fantasising about a motorised chair too but that will spoil the grab 'n go ethic:)

Mark

Dennis
29-03-2009, 09:05 PM
On the relatively few occasions where I have mounted the Vixen 30x125’s on my home made P mount, whilst lounging in a recliner, the views have been quite wonderful. Major contributing factors to this experience, have been the relaxed reclined position, the 45 degree eyepiece arrangement and limiting my sweeping to areas defined by the comfort of my neck and the limited range of movement from the P mount.

I have tried tripod mounted viewing and it was less satisfactory, although much quicker to set up.

My most enjoyable sessions have been when the bino’s and the mount “disappeared”; that is, I was simply looking at the exit pupils with no awareness of body weight, position, discomfort, having to wrestle with the bino’s etc.

Even better than this, would be a motorized, GoTo binocular chair, costing less than $1,000!

Cheers

Dennis

erick
30-03-2009, 02:48 PM
We all wish! Wouldn't it be fantastic - a tracking recliner!