PDA

View Full Version here: : Mounting a Guidescope

stevenc77
27-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi guys. I have a Skywatcher 8 inch reflector on a EQ6 Pro mount. I've looked at the Andrews Communications site and I want to get the 70mm by 900mm refracting scope as a guide scope. It comes with it's own EQ1 mount and rings etc. Can anyone tell me how I bolt this on top of my current scope, do I need to buy another dovetail plate to connect the smaller scope on top. Any tips would be appreciated. STEVE.

gbeal
27-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Steve,
well, unless you particularly want another albeit smaller mount, just buy an OTA. Then gets tube guide-scope rings and attach them to the 8" tube rings, on top. Guide-scope fits within these guide-scope rings. No dovetail plate is required, what is required is the most solid and flex-free setup you can manage.
Gary

mldee
27-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Steve,
I bought the same scope OTA from Andrews to do the same as you. Get the guide-scope rings and away you go.

stevenc77
27-03-2009, 10:39 PM
When you say get the guide scope rings, are they the same as the ones that come with the scope or are they a separate item?

mldee
27-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Different, they're bigger ID, so the scope fits inside with some slop, about 1cm, which three screws tighten up to take out, and by adjusting these screws, you can align the guidescope to look in the exact same direction as the main scope.

The original rings that come with the OTA are called 'mounting rings' and fit snugly around the OTA, leaving no way to adjust anything for alignment.

Have a look on the dealer's websites, you'll see the difference.

stevenc77
28-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys, now I get it!:)