PDA

View Full Version here: : Motorised filter wheels

Tandum
15-03-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm looking around for a motorised filter wheel for 2" mounted filters. I'm leaning towards the QHY wheel at the moment but what else can I get for my $750?

marki
15-03-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know that there are any cheaper at the moment. I have been looking around for a while as well and most the motorised versions for 2" filters I have seen cost a bomb. Would be interested to know if there was a cheaper wheel available.

netwolf
15-03-2009, 11:41 PM
The Qhy one lets you utlise a 1.25" or by changing the inside carousel use 2" filters. You can buy both carousels with the filter wheel. I am not sure if any of the others have this option. But has it been released yet?

Tandum
15-03-2009, 11:47 PM
I see it on theo's website for $750. I have sent him a PM.
I've also emailed hongkong pete to see what they use up there :).

Gama
18-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi guys,

The filter wheel has been released, but the 2" carousel is available at the moment. The 1.25" will be ready soon. So as Fahim said, just remove the internal carousel and finished.
Its Maxim DL ready, with more drivers comming soon.
But best of all, for those that cant afford Maxim or other high priced variant capture programs, the filterwheel is controlable manually using the standard RS-232 port.
Just plug in the filterwheel to any RS-232 device (Even a dumb terminal), run your basic Comms program, like hyperterminal etc, then just press the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 keys on the keyboard and the wheel will rotate to that position. So when i press the 3 key, the wheel will rotate to the 3rd filter, and so on.

Theo

gbeal
20-03-2009, 07:05 PM
While realising Theo has a better handle on this QHY thing than me, it was my impression that the wheels/carousels were not interchangeable, at least that was the feeling I got from a posting from QHY himself two days ago.
I agree, having an interchangeable wheel could be advantageous.
Gary

bird
20-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Very happy with my True-Technology wheel, highly recommended.

cheers, Bird

Tandum
20-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I like the look of those bird, you can replace the wheel without removing it or the camera from the scope.

Do you know of a .au distributor?

Gama
20-03-2009, 09:46 PM
The issue Gary is the level of competance required to do the change.
Who determines the minimum level required to do the change over ?.
This is what QHY was talking about, and it may just go in the way of 2 seperate wheels that have the internals locked.
This has come around with many users not knowing anything mechanical etc, and thus caution was needed.

Just a little extra, there will be a hand controller to plug in so you can use it manually without connecting to the PC or QHY camera, so users with different cameras can use the filterwheel easily, and it will have a LED display and timer built in.
But dont expect it too soon, as i and Qiu just finished discussing it and he likes my idea about it.

Theo

Tandum
20-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Have a google at that True-Technology wheel Theo. It splits in half and the wheel drops out.

And under a grand .... Brilliant ...

Hagar
21-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi all, I actually have one of the QHY filter wheels to use with my QHY9 camera and can say the filter wheel is beautifully made and performs as stated. The rs232 control is quite simple and it interfaces with the camera directly. I have not used the wheel a lot at this stage as I have yet to get a set of RGB filters. I have used it with a clear, uv, and Ha and look forward to trying it with RGB. Great value for money to me anyway.

Paul Haese
22-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I use Tru Tech too. Great wheel and bullet proof. Dropped mine several times and still works a treat. Changing wheels is easy.

AlexN
22-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I must admit I really like the look Tru Technologies filter wheel.. I had one on order briefly, however found a 2nd hand SBIG CFW8A for half the price, and decided that was a better option considering I was buying for the SBIG camera etc...

The QHY wheel looks to be very well made, and very robust, much like everything that comes from QHY, I dont think you'd have any regrets after buying one, thats for sure..

Tandum
31-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I just could not get any solid info on the QHY wheels re delivery or build, so went cheap and got a manual 1.25" wheel from the UK with Tri Colour Tru Tech filters.

Note : UK prices are pretty good at the moment as the AU$ is almost 2:1 instead of the usual 3:1 and you can drop 15% VAT off the UK price.

Gama
01-04-2009, 08:07 PM
The 1.25" wheels are not out yet, estimated 2 months.
The 2" units are available though..

Theo