PDA

View Full Version here: : Counter weights.

RAJAH235
16-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi all. I've noticed that a few, well quite a few, have a minor prob. with t'scope balance at differing angles etc.
Here is what I did with my Meade. The major weight is in the centre on the base with an extra one placed at the bottom to counteract the various E/Pcs./finder, etc. at "normal" viewing angles. The small counter weight at the top of the tube is used to C/act the finderscope when near vertical. ie; When the t'scope is above 80/85 degrees & "it wants to keep going up". (Finder is beyond the Centreline/CG.). It balances everything nicely. Experiment with the weights you need & screw in place.
Remember, more weight/mass = less movement in the breeze. :thumbsup:
HTH. :D L.

ballaratdragons
16-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the tip Laurie.
Magnets work fine for me. Once I place a magnet I don't get VAI.('Various Angle Imbalance'.)

But Magnets are not for everyone!

asimov
16-09-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't know Ken?? I'm rather ATTRACTED to magnets!? I've really become quite ATTACHED to them!

asimov
16-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Nice, Laurie..:thumbsup: :D

Photon
17-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Another practical idea is to use stick on wheel balance weights, meant for Mag wheels, which use a double sided tape. Available from any Tyre centre. No drilling and easily removable later. I used them on my 200 GSO Dob. They can be cut into smaller weights if needed. Magnets area great idea for quick temporary balance adjustment when heavier eyepieces such as 2" 80 deg or camera attachments are used then removed when reverting back to normal eyepieces.
Regards Photon.