PDA

View Full Version here: : Is this Tripod any good to me?

PCH
12-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi Guys,

when I bought my Oberwerk BT100-45 binocs mid last year, I also bought a heavy duty Bogen-Manfrotto tripod because I wanted to be able to adjust the vertical height quickly.

However, I now have the beautiful wooden Oberwerk tripod just sat in the shed not doing anything. I thought I'd use it for something, but I'm not sure how universal the head fitting is.

I've included a pic, and it's described as a standard 3/8" fitting. The tripod is beautiful so it's a shame to waste it. The tripod itslef is capable of holding heaps and is steady as a rock.

Can this fitting be used for anything else does anyone know?

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers :thumbsup:

netwolf
13-03-2009, 01:58 AM
PCH this is a great tripod on is much talked about in the US as the base for holding up portable Alt/Az mounts.

See here.
http://www.helix-mfg.com/hercules.htm
I was intending to get one of the special close out slight blemished ones for 75$
http://www.bigbinoculars.com/tradeins.htm

But cost of shipping it was high.

From all accounts on CN this is strong platform for portable setups.
Did you have yours shipped from the US, or did you get it locally?

PCH
13-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Netwolf,

thanks very much for the reply and information. In fact I bought mine from someone on this forum so I didn't have to pay freight rom the US.

But I did get the Manfrotto tripod from Optcorp in California, as it wasn't available here. It's a terrific tripod and the quick height adjustment is essential with the BT100-45 binocs.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

erick
13-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi Paul, please show us a few pics of your setup. Sounds nice! Eric

PCH
13-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Be happy to Erick, - I'll do it later today when I'll have a biot more time :)

Cheers,

Dennis
13-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Paul

Most “professional” tripod heads have a 3/8” socket on the underside, which will mate with the 3/8” bolt on your tripod base.

Generally, lighter weight tripod heads usually have the standard ¼” Whitworth thread, which is the same as the ¼” socket on the base plate of most DSLR cameras.

Some tripod heads have a 3/8” base plate with a separate, screw-in bush to reduce it to ¼” to make it more versatile.

Cheers

Dennis

PCH
13-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks for that Dennis, - that certainly makes it clearer for me.

Cheers :thumbsup:

erick
13-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I hang my 30x100s off a 1/4" bolt :scared: This is the thread on the central support post, also same on my 20x80s. No collapses as yet, but I wish it was 3/8" - I'd feel better.

Dennis
13-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I hear what you are saying Eric – I’ve been in similar positions, wishing for a 3/8” bolt!

I wonder if any of our talented mechanical engineers on IIS can calculate the force to shear or snap a ¼” bolt – it might just reassure us!

Cheers

Dennis

erick
13-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I had to make up my own so I bought threaded rod from Bunnings. It looked pretty rough and ready so I have always worried about it. Perhaps I can remove the support, see how it is fitted, then drill it out the relevant bit and re-tap for 3/8" - but I'll probably stuff it up! :sadeyes:

PCH
13-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Hi Erick,

as promised, here are a couple of pics of the Oberwerk BT100-45 degree binocs mounted on the Manfrotto heavy duty 161BK tripod, which could easily go a full one extra metre higher than that shown here.

It makes for excellent viewing with good quality EPs installed. I currently have a pair of TV 25mm Plossls installed, but I'd like to give thought to a pair of Panoptics - if only the exchange rate wasn't so crappy.

Cheers Erick et al :thumbsup:

erick
14-03-2009, 10:57 AM
What a gorgeous sight, Paul! :thumbsup:

A beautiful view through them as well, I expect.

Thanks Eric :)

PCH
14-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi erick,

yes indeed they are beautiful to use. These binocs are just so easy to adjust in any direction that they invite you to stand there for ages just looking and looking ..... without ever really getting tired.

The only thing I didn't like about them when I bought them was the fact that the supplied stand wasn't height adjustable. Nice though the wooden stand is, it really is only suitable for land based observations as you couldn't possible get your eyes under the EPs when you point them anything like skywards.

The next thing I might try with a bit of KR's most generous gift is another pair of bigger mag TV plossls. As I said, I'd love a pair of panoptics, but jeepers it's a lot of money down the pan if they don't live up to your expectations ;)

Cheers,