PDA

View Full Version here: : it's not long enough!

rider
10-03-2009, 08:57 AM
I have a SW HEQ5 mount, which I'm very pleased with, except for the length of the counterweight shaft. The shaft is designed to retract into the mount for travel, but to do this SW have kept the shaft very short.
(It's only half the length of the one on Mrs Riders' EQ5.) This means that you have to stack a lot of weight on it to counterbalance a medium to big scope.

In the interest of avoiding a hernia, I have bolted an extra weight under the end weight. thus gaining the the same counter balance for less total weight.

I would like to make this arrangement more flexible by replacing the original shaft with a longer one.

A search of the web, shows extending HEQ5 shafts is done regularly by talented people who machine their own, but I have not been able to find a site where you can buy a longer shaft as a kit, does anyone know if such a product is available?

rider

Glenhuon
16-03-2009, 07:12 PM
If its easily removable, take it out and trot it down to your nearest engineering workshop. It is probably a standard diameter (12 or 16mm). Would only need a couple of screw threads cut on a longer length of bright steel or stainless. Be as cheap as buying one ready made I imagine.

Cheers
Bill

Tandum
16-03-2009, 07:23 PM
This guys sells them - http://www.kendauzat.net/index.htm - look under accessories, but it will cost the bomb to get it here.

I had one made at a machine shop near WOW at kingston.