PDA

View Full Version here: : Need information on an old telescope

stephenb
07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I am trying to gather any information (mainly pictures) of a Tasco 60mm refractor which was sold by Astro Optical Supplies around 1983-1985, when AOS were trading in the Mid-City Arcade, 200 Bourke St, Melbourne (next to the cinema). Here is what I can recall about it so far.
60mm refractor.
It came in a blue cardboard box.
White OTA (not the later red color).
Black rack and pinion focuser.
No finderscope but it had two small brackets at either end of the tube; one with a small hole and the other with a larger hole, I guess for "sighting" the object.
A 'horseshoe' style alt-alz fork and table tripod.
One eyepiece and a diagonal.I know AOS no longer trade in Melbourne, and I will contact the store next week, but I suspect that after 25 years they may no have any idea.

I also recall the name of the staff member who worked there, but again, I think he moved on from astronomy years ago.

This scope was my first scope and it eventually ended up as a guide/finderscope for my 6-in Newt.

I am hoping there are some Melbournians who may recall such a scope and even still own one!

stephenb
13-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Bump :whistle:

Just putting this out to the members again....

koputai
13-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Stephen,
I have a couple of Tasco 60mm jobbies.
One is a 1985 Model 59T. This has a 700mm focal length, red in colour, made in Japan.
The other is older, a 1968 Model 9TE-5. Also 700mm fl, but white in colour, made in Japan.
Neither of these has a peep sight, they both have the small 5x20 finder mounted on them. I don't remember any Tasco's of the mid 80's having peep sights.
Not much help I'm afraid, but points of reference.

Cheers,
Jason.