PDA

View Full Version here: : Guiding the LX200 in Alt-Az Mode - YESSSS

Merlin66
05-03-2009, 06:14 AM
With the first clear night in many weeks, I've managed to answer my own
question.
In the back ground I have the 10" LX200 guiding in Alt-Az mode.
I'm using a QHY5 guide camera and the PHD software; no issues!!!!!
It has now been guiding on the star for over twenty minutes; never missed a beat!!!
I hope in future this will be noted! Yes, I'm sure there is still field
rotation, but for my spectroscope work it doesn't matter. What does matter is
holding that star on the slit.
I'm a happy chappie!!!!!!!!!!

celstark
10-03-2009, 04:18 PM
The things people do with your software ... :)

I hope this continues to work but I will put up a few cautions here. The closer to the equator, the better alt/az will work (Earth's equator that is, as alt/az = EQ mounted there). In addition, where you aim in the sky will affect how well this works and how frequently you'll need to recalibrate. PHD has no means of changing the calibration over time and as the field rotates, it's calibration data will start to drift off.

Craig

Merlin66
10-03-2009, 07:57 PM
The LX200 does a pretty creditable job of tracking in Alt-Az; it will generally keep a star in the centre of the field for as long as you want. Obviously has problems near the zenith.
The PHD guiding certainly does the job for me! I agree that the calibration may become an issue, but at this stage I'm still very happy.

CoolhandJo
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I also guide in Alt/Alt mode with my LX200 but I use Autostar envisage software guiding. Never had any problems yet. I get up to 60 sec without field rotation by doing this when coupled with envisage de rotation star selection method.