PDA

View Full Version here: : Got my Dob, but where now with eyepieces?

TimboS
02-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi All,

I'm now the proud owner of a 10" Skywatcher Dobsonian. My first telescope and well, just a *tad* different to the 10x50 binoculars :D

Although, I've only had a chance to look at Saturn and parts of Orion's sword - the weather here in Adelaide has subsequently clouded over with the "promise" of rain. We'll see...

That 1/2 hour or so experience has told me one thing though - I like the supplied 25mm Super Plossl for both it's FOV and eye relief. I can't however see myself wanting to continually use the supplied 10mm Plossl - the eye relief is no where near as comfortable. So, now it's a case of deciding where to go with eyepieces.

First things first though, I have a monster great sodium streetlight right over the back of my house and it bathes almost all of the yard in orange. The strength is such that if any of it makes it's way into the front end of the Dob, the image takes on the good old orange hue and all but blows it out. In short, there is a huge angular slice of the sky where I simply can not point the scope. So, I think I need a light pollution reduction filter. I've looked around a bit and seen a couple of types included the Baader UHC 1.25" "Nebula filter" and Baader OIII 1.25" Narrow Band Filter. I'm wondering though, which would be more use to me? The price tag is $150 give or take $10 or $20 and if it does the job then the price is basically peanuts given the outcome.

Next, eyepieces themselves. I was thinking of following the advice of "one for the planets, one for deep sky", and a Barlow. I have already spied the Vixen NLV20 and NLV6, both in 1.25", and from what I read on this forum these would do the two jobs nicely. BUT, these come in 50 and 45 FOV, and even though they have a nice 20mm eye relief, I was hoping for a wider view. Is that an unrealistic expectation? Of course, add a 2x Barlow to those eyepieces for when viewing is good, etc.

I don't see myself wanting to speed a huge amount on individual eyepieces. The prices I have seen for the above Vixens (about $180 each) is pretty much as far as I would want to go at this time.

So, I now open the floor to any recommendations, opinions, rants and/or raves !

Tim