PDA

View Full Version here: : Digital Angle Meter/Protractor/Spirit Level

rogerg
01-03-2009, 12:49 PM
G'day all,

:help:

In another thread recently I learned of "digital angle meter" devices, also seem to be known as "digital protractors" and "digital spirit levels".

Apparently Bunnings once had them for under $50.. but I can't find them anywhere over here in Perth! ... I have tried Bunnings, Toolmart, Glenfords, local hardware. I can't find cheap ones on the web either, the cheapest I've seen is $149! ..

here's an example:
http://www.avcomm.com.au/index.php/Dish-Alignment-Tools/Digital-Angle-Meter-Professional/flypage.tpl.html

Does anyone know where I can get one of the <$50 ones???

If someone can get the cheap ones at their local Bunnings I'd be happy to pay postage on top of the price to get one!

Thanks!

Roger.

Mighty_oz
01-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I bought this one last year for around $70 i think
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/angeloanglefinder.htm
not as nice as the little units.
Was in Forbes ,22 Brennan Way,Belmont WA 6104 Tel: (08) 9373 9999
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=M978

JohnG
01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Roger

This is what a lot of people, myself included use, I bought online and it was delivered within a couple of days.

On my field unit, the GM-8/TSA-102 combination, I just set the latitude using this and forget, it is close enough so the DEC corrections are quite small.

http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category116_1.htm

Cheers

rally
01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
MeasureMax have on that is similar to the basic Mitutoyo one with 0.1° resolution.

Its a DP360 or part number MX 35-204 around $150
http://www.measumax.com/ViewPage.php?ID=33

Mitutoyo have a very expensive one that I seem to recall has 0.01° resolution !

rogerg
01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the links and ideas. I will wait a bit and see if anyone knows of a <$50 one and otherwise the $85 one posted by John is winning for me so far.

Roger.

pmrid
01-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I bought one a couple of weeks ago - from the Bunnings at Booval in Ipswich, Qld for about $32 I think it was.
Peter

PeterM
01-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I bought mine several weeks ago at Bunnings at Underwood (QLD) ph 07 3422 6300 (in the tool shop) they are called a Digital Angle Gauge and are $35.97. They have several in stock (just checked today). Roger if you want me to get one tomorrow to post to you just pm me.
PeterM.

Spanrz
01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Always the way huh. For weeks I go checking bunnings, alas, no stockie the digital one.
So ended up buying the analog version 30 bucks later. That was only a few weeks ago.
Now are you saying that Bunnings stock them (the digital one)?........Argh!

Always the way, my luck......LoL!

Screwdriverone
01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Roger,

I have the WIxey one that John posted, but I bought mine on Ebay from the UK (some tool shop) and it cost me $62 AUD delivered and it came in about 4 days from the UK!!!

It was a buy it now one, and works a treat!

Cheers

Chris

acropolite
02-03-2009, 08:25 AM
FWIW our local Bunnings stores only sell what is moving from the shelves (limited space??), they have a policy that if a certain number aren't solld that item is pulled off the shelves. Often if a product is not on the shelves, they will order it for you.

bobson
02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Roger

I thought last night to sell you mine but changed my mind when I found out that Argo Navis kit for my 12" Dob comes only with digital circles and cables without handheld computer :((

So I'll rather wait and save money for good EQ6 with GoTo.

I bought mine "digital angle meter" at Bunnins in Midland a few months ago. Its in the tools section and the problem is when you ask people there about it they didn't know what it was. I even printed picture from the net to show them what I want and no luck.

I spent some time looking around and I found it just oposite the counter. They said that it should not be there but the good news is I got it.

Sometimes you got kids working there and they have no clue what you want, so its better for you to look around in that case.

bob

rogerg
02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
G'day all,

Thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated.

Spurred on by comments of them being at various bunnings stored I rung some more in Perth. And today found one ! at the Maddington, where they have lots of them, for $20.98!!!

So, I now have one of those. It seems reasonable, will be interested to test it at Astro Camp at the end of March.

I can see the problem now is finding a perfectly level surface to zero it on!

Roger.

PeterM
02-03-2009, 03:35 PM
That's great news Roger.
Makes me wonder ....$35.97 in Brisbane and $20.98 in Perth, in the same chain of stores, that's a price difference of 70% (I think?). Hmmm makes me wonder what threads and agro would pop up if it were a telescope........but lets not go there.....
All the best
PeterM.

rogerg
02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah ;)

These were discounted, I'm not sure what from, or why, but their price was hand written on a specials tag, so it's quite likely they are normally the $35.97 price. I considered buying 5 of them and re-selling them to IIS and ASWA members :whistle:

bobson
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Roger,

Could you tell us what are you going to use it for?

I use it on my 12" Bintel Dob to find objects with programs like Stellarium or Starry Night. I made Az. circle and use this "digital angle meter" for Alt. since it has magnets on it I just put it on top of the tube. I got this idea from Projects & Articles on this website.

Thanks

bob

rogerg
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm going to be using it to improve the initial polar lignment of my scope. When I set down my Losmandy GM8 in the field I will use this to get the alt of the mount as close as possible to the actual. I'm hoping it will be more accurate than me relying on the bubble levels and engravings on the mount.

Roger.

bobson
02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes, that should work fine. I find it to be pretty accurate for what I am using it for. We are not lucky like Northern countries with Polaris.

cheers

mill
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Bunnings in Bayswater VIC have them in store too now $35.95
Picked one up this afternoon :)

robatman
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone found the Bunnings one in Sydney. I went to Taren point and Rockdale with no luck.

Robert

rogerg
02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
For the sake of those in WA ... it seems there was a pricing error at bunnings and they weren't meant to be $21! (surprise surprise). Some of us got them at $21 but some have now had to pay $35. It seems the $21 price tag was incorrect and has been removed, leaving them back at the $35.87 price.

Roger.

Clarry
03-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I have also lucked out at these stores. I'm hoping that when the new store at Kirrawee opens next month it will stock it. Kirrawee is meant to be the biggest store yet.

DavidLJ
18-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Forgive my resurrecting an older thread but today I picked up from Aldi a Workzone spirit level with built-in digital readout for its attached inclinometer arm. Cost was under $20. The readout is down to 1/10th of a degree and, judging by the tests I made on getting it home, it is accurate down to that level. It is robustly made although perhaps a little bulky at 42 cm long. Nevertheless it will make a useful addition to my field scope's setup kit.

There may be a limited offer period involved but you can find a description at

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_23036.htm

mozzie
18-08-2012, 04:52 PM
grab a wickey from e-bay they are the best....